Impediance Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impediance Switch

I have a Bugera 2x12 combo amp. It has an impediance switch. 4,8 and 16 ohms. Could I go from the two stock 8ohm speakers seemingly wired in series to buying two 4 ohms replacement speakers using that switch or is it just for the extension cab. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. shootingstarno

Do your speakers connect directly to one of the speaker jacks already or are they connected by internal speaker hookups? I assume they are connected to these jacks by way of a plug and it is currently selected to 16ohms impedance. You can wire two 8 ohms in parallel to 4ohms or they will be in series as 16ohms. Two 4 ohms in series will be 8 ohms and that will work fine, just select 8 ohms on the switch. By the way, what model is this Bugera?
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Bugera BC30 response

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
      Do your speakers connect directly to one of the speaker jacks already or are they connected by internal speaker hookups? I assume they are connected to these jacks by way of a plug and it is currently selected to 16ohms impedance. You can wire two 8 ohms in parallel to 4ohms or they will be in series as 16ohms. Two 4 ohms in series will be 8 ohms and that will work fine, just select 8 ohms on the switch. By the way, what model is this Bugera?
      Yes. They connect to one of the two output speaker jacks on the back by a cable coming from the speakers ending in a 1/4 jack TS. Then the other one is not being because I dont have a extention cab. Its the Bugera BC30. Thanks for the info. Ebay sells jensen c12n replacement speakers in 4,8 and 16 ohms. I want a clean sound, IM not sure if I should try, 4 or 16 ohm. And I also heard if I go less on the watts, from 85 to 50 or 35 in which they have, that might clean it up too. I want a clean fender twin sound. Its sounds as they say presently like "a blanket been thrown over the amp". Thanks for any help. A few more replys may make me sure enough to take the chance. I can also change the rectifier tube to the one fender twins used. Ill try those two things before having to sell the amp and save for a twin or hot rod. Blessings. Thanks also for verifying how the ohms add up if I do make the changes. If I go 4ohms, set the switch to 8. I get it. Hmmm. I guess I cant go 16 because it would be at 32 ohms.

Comment

Two speakers can be wired in series or in parallel. Two 16 ohm speakers in a cab would be wired parallel to present 8 ohms to the amp. Impedance is not your issue for tone. And don't change your rectifier. it might change the sustain a little, but not the tone.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Re impediance switch

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          Two speakers can be wired in series or in parallel. Two 16 ohm speakers in a cab would be wired parallel to present 8 ohms to the amp. Impedance is not your issue for tone. And don't change your rectifier. it might change the sustain a little, but not the tone.
          I forgot that if its wired on parallel it cuts it in half. Ok. Could you commment on two other points. I heard one person say that 16ohm speakers use a thinner coil wire with more turns and that it excels with high end treble sounds. Second. I wondered if I changed my 80 watt rated speakers in the Bugera BC30 down to a lower wattage, say 50w or even 35w, would that brighted and or clear up the sound.

Comment

One of those must have been me

In principle, same voice coil is somewhat lighter in 16 ohms (thinner wire but same winding length so less copper) but it's a slight difference, there are many other variables: cone thickness, rigidity, amount and depth of ribs (or no ribs at all), straight or curvilinear ("trombone") shape, adhesives, former material, etc.
            LOTS of variables so the technically possible difference must be taken in context.

I think only Jensen publishes frequency response curves for 4/8/16 ohms and they are the definitive statement, more than verbal descriptions (punchy/restricted/smooth/chimey/scoped/etc.) which are vague in the best case and subjective always.

But in your case, you have a heavy rock tuned amp; a Twin or a Super Reverb or a Bandmaster , most any Black or Silverface chassis might be a better option.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
            X