How many eyelet wraps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many eyelet wraps?

Just curious what the consensus is. I tend to do around 5 or so.
    I also take a dremel wheel and cut a notch in the flatwork next to the eyelet as well, so the wrapped wire is recessed in a little crevice. I didn't realize this was necessary until I had a couple people cram their pickup into a tight pickup cavity which in turn cut the wraps around the eyelet. I sometimes put a little drop of "hard as nails" over the wraps as well.

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
    Just curious what the consensus is. I tend to do around 5 or so.
    I also take a dremel wheel and cut a notch in the flatwork next to the eyelet as well, so the wrapped wire is recessed in a little crevice. I didn't realize this was necessary until I had a couple people cram their pickup into a tight pickup cavity which in turn cut the wraps around the eyelet. I sometimes put a little drop of "hard as nails" over the wraps as well.
    I do 5 loops with the 2nd and last with a couple of clove hitch type passes through the still open part of the loop to keep it tight when I snug it up. No notches, but I put medium viscosity CA on wire where it passes over the edge of the flatwork. I found that you can wear through the insulation in a tight fitting body cavity just by setting in the pickup, which if the body cavity is fully shielded can short out the pickup (e.g. a Strat bridge p/u location).
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

I probably do 5, then I solder it.
      I make sure there is no solder that flowed into the winding area.
      No notch.
      I do thread all flat work screw holes, because I left a set un tapped once.
      The guy got so rough threading the holes, he let the screw driver hit the side, and I had to rewind it.
      A lesson learned the hard way!
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I used to not do the notch, but I found this way tends to hide those wraps a little better, to help fool proof the pickup a little better. I had 2 come back with the loops getting cut from wedging the pickup into a tight space, even with hard as nails over the loops where it hangs over the edge of the flatwork.

Comment

I do 8 loops and I do the notch, because I like even and nice looking eyelet wraps

Comment

I put all the eyelet loops on while the pickup is still in the winder, then to the soft jaw vice for solder and leads.

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            I do thread all flat work screw holes, because I left a set un tapped once.
            The guy got so rough threading the holes, he let the screw driver hit the side, and I had to rewind it.
            A lesson learned the hard way!
            T
            Also tap all screw holes. I got tired of using a hand tap pretty early on. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	840831

Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

Sounds like we all do similar things.
              SCs are a simple but very effective pickup.
              Hard to go wrong how ever you build them.
              I use the Bosch to tap and drill most holes.
              It helps the Carpal Tunnel a lot.
              As long as you have good components, I bet your SCs will Sound great.
              GL,
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

I do primarily Fender bass pickups and always notch the side of the forbon closest to the eyelets with a round needle file. My first sample set of Nordstrands came without the notches and the wire got cut by the edge of the cover after going in and out of the cover a few times, killing the pickup. Nordstrand immediately added the notches after that and I've been doing the same. Ideally a couple of turns through should be enough but with 5 turns you are more sure that the solder melted through to the copper somewhere. This is especially true with PE. I've never had a problem SPN at 775 or 800º.

Comment

With all this talk of notches, I'v e decided I'm going to add them to my bobbin CAD files so when that laser cutter lands at the door later this year and I start cutting all my own forbon bobbins, I won't have to bother dabbling the outer part of the loop winds with CA anymore.
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

You guys have shamed me too.
                    I guess I will file notches! lol
                    T
                    Last edited by big_teee; 02-04-2016, 07:57 PM.
                    Terry

Comment

thats funny I put notches in mine years ago because eventually I got tired of phone calls asking me if the wire broke on the edge if that hurt the pickup. Pickup route size has changed for a little smaller since 2000. I also tape all my coils- very neatly- so it makes it impossible to short the coil out by putting the cover on at a slight angle and makes it harder to break even with a screw driver. IMO its not made like they use to its made better.

Comment

Working...
                      X