41 gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 gauge

I got a 5ish pound spool of it about a year or 2 ago and still haven't used it. Ive wanted to experiment but just haven't had the time.
    I was wondering if anyone here has had success making pickups with 41 gauge?

I started out with 40 heavy a few years ago, but haven't tried 41 yet.
    With 40 heavy I could only squeeze maybe 3500 to 4000 turns on a humbucker bobbin, I just recently got 40 single so I might retire the rest of my green 40 heavy.
    I do wish I could find a source for 42 green, the store on ebay that sells it wants $60 for 1lb...bit pricey for me.

You can make a bell ringing strat neck pickup with it, if you don't mind it having lower DCR.
    I made some EB-0 Bass pickups that sounded pretty decent with 41.
    Don't have a clue where to get green wire.
    Does Green sound better, maybe I need to find some, just kidding!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      You can make a bell ringing strat neck pickup with it, if you don't mind it having lower DCR.
      I made some EB-0 Bass pickups that sounded pretty decent with 41.
      Don't have a clue where to get green wire.
      Does Green sound better, maybe I need to find some, just kidding!
      T
      no it doesn't sound better, but it looks real cool I think with clear bobbins.

Comment

I had a spool of 43 green that I traded off to someone who was doing a repro vintage style pickup. It's available, I think I paid $18/lb for it off eBay.

Comment

Working...
        X