A Theory about speaker wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Theory about speaker wiring.

Greetings. In trying to find out why I cant find a good sound. I had a theory that my speakers have inferior wiring. Does anybody know the speaker wiring method used on a fender twin. Is it wired in series or parallel. I noticed my telecaster sound best when its in the combined parallel mode. Is this why my Bugera 2x12 BC30 combo amp sounds muffled, its wired in series and not in parallel. Im changing my speakers next month to 4ohms and less watts in order to try to clean up its sound. Any help is appreciated. Gods blessings. Paul in wa state. Do they comprise sound by wiring in series only to order that the speakers dont blow as easy, if so, thats bogus.

No, wiring has no influence.
    Series or parallel pulls exact same power and subjects them to exact same stress if connected to the proper transformer tap, 16 or 4 ohms in this case.

Just checked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGAHG4OujFY

IF you find that amp muddy, you have a *gross* guitar problem, sorry.

As of:
    I noticed my telecaster sound best when its in the combined parallel mode.
    that's an absolutely different situation:

a) pickups are under different vibrating string points, and capture very different harmonic content; combined sound is richer than any of them obn their own.

b) there is no impedance matching involved by any means, you always use same cable connected to same amp input, and cable capacitance is a treble killer, so parallel pickups have lower impedance and drive that load better ... none of that happens with speakers which are the exact same, receive exact same signal, and are impedance matched, so what happens with the guitar does not apply to amp/speakers.

With due respect, IF a Tele (of all guitars) and a Vox based amp sound muddy to you, maybe you should have your hearing checked.
    Not an insult but maybe a Medical condition.

I have regular ear infections and lose all highs for a couple days each time.
    Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-30-2016, 05:59 PM.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by shootingstarno View Post
      Im changing my speakers next month to 4ohms and less watts in order to try to clean up its sound.
      Also, changing to lower wattage speakers won't clean up your sound. Neither will changing the speaker ohms, provided the final load is appropriate for the amplifier.

Also, also... If I interpret your post correctly, you would like for your Bugera BC30 to sound more like a Fender Twin. There are a lot of reasons why that can't happen. Too many to list and noting the most important differences would probably be upsetting. But in a nut shell, a Fender Twin is a lot more amp. The differences go far beyond just the speakers.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

R.G. One post said that my amp doesnt sound like a fender twin and that there are many reasons why, not just speakers and or ohms. If I take it to a tech. Are you saying he can add the parts to it, mod it to sound like a twin. Or should I just save my money for a Fender Twin. I know that, mine uses el84's and a twin uses 6L6s. Regardless. Thanks to everyone for posting response. Paul wa state.

Comment

Twin

Fender Twin's are cheap and plentiful. They are not in vogue right now so prices are way down.
          People are not looking for big,heavy amps.
          It is also more well made than your amp which is a very good thing.

JJ

Comment

A Fender Twin is going to have higher quality transformers, speakers, cabinet construction and likely tubes. It also has twice the power. Which makes a big difference in clean volume. The power tubes, 6l6 rather than your el84's, typically exhibit less intermodulation distortion. All this adds up to a large total difference.

If you are in any way infatuated with a Fender Twin then you won't be truly happy until you acquire one. In that case you should start saving for one.

If you think you could be happy with the Bugera I will suggest that the speakers will be the single biggest difference you can make. Not a change in ohms or how they're wired, but better quality and efficiency. Your net cost to do this would probably be between US $150 and $300. Unfortunately this is a very difficult and expensive thing to undertake. Which high end speakers you like best with that amp is something only you can decide. There are hundreds of options. Even reading reviews and asking for suggestions you're very unlikely to find your favorite on the first purchase. In fact you may never find speakers that make you happy. And just putting speakers into the amp to test reduces their resale value. But let's assume you get lucky and end up out only $200 for speakers.

The amp is worth maybe $300 on the used market. So that's the same as $500 ($200 you didn't spend and $300 you could get by selling). A Fender reissue or silverface Twin Reverb will put you back about $900. So that would be $400 more, but with possible maintenance needs like tubes or filter capacitors that might cost you $100 if you did the work yourself. The choices are yours. You're essentially $500 from a Twin or $200 from a question mark.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Seems the perennial advice still rings true... if you <REALLY> want a Twin Reverb sound, just buy the Twin Reverb. I think $900 would bag you one in pretty decent shape. There is NO amount of modding, speakers or otherwise, that will make an EL84-equipped Bugera sound like a Twin. Unless you scrap EVERYTHING except the cabinet, chassis, and maybe speakers. Which, to put a Twin Reverb in that Bugera chassis, <IF> it will hold the Twin iron, will be way more than the likely cost of a real Twin. Sell what you must, and save the rest. But just get the Twin.

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Thanks for the response. IM learning that I better just save for the real amp I want, instead of a bargain.

Comment

Thanks. Ill just going to save for a twin and play this for whats its worth til then. Learned allot here in this forum. Again, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                    Seems the perennial advice still rings true... if you <REALLY> want a Twin Reverb sound, just buy the Twin Reverb. I think $900 would bag you one in pretty decent shape.
                    Deafinitely good advice, in fact there's one at a local store, I worked on it, not too far over that price. Where are you shootingstarno? Plug, play, enjoy: MV silver, new output tubes, power supply caps, speakers, reverb tank, all problems resolved, just one li'l hole in the grille $1100 & it's all yours. To lift it you may need an elastic back brace, not included. OOF!
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      To lift it you may need an elastic back brace, not included. OOF!
                      I played in a band with another guitarist that used a Twin Reverb. Tall guy. We use to call that amp "The Wrecking Ball" because of the way it swung on his long arm and bashed up all the door casings and furniture.

Comment

My god, I have two of them.

My doctor told me not to lift anything heavy.

I even have to sit down to pee now....
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          My god, I have two of them.

My doctor told me not to lift anything heavy.

I even have to sit down to pee now....
                          Well, the heavy lifting makes it moot, but at least with two you could balance yourself I'm actually not kidding. I did my time jerking paint with Kelly Moore. When I had to move stock from one pile to another, like five gallon paint pails, I always carried them two at a time. For longer distances you use a hand truck. Such as I might use to move a Twin Reverb.

Comment

Twins are Lear Jet loud, ice pick trebly, and hernia heavy. For clubs you might want to check out a Deluxe Reverb which many people refer to as half a Twin if you don't need the massive clean overhead. I THINK your Bugera is based on an Vox AC 30. If the speakers are like what are in my Bugera V22 I don't think a speaker change will get you much. It's all subjective, but the stock speaker is pretty good IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                              Twins are - - - ice pick trebly - - -
                              Not necessarily. The one I mentioned is loaded with Eminence Texas Heat. Puts up a pretty good shout but doesn't make you wanna stick your fingers in your ears. Once the ear-hurtin' frequencies are subdued, you can hear lows & mids clearly, which is clearly an advantage. I call it "The mellow Twin." Note it does NOT sound like there's a blanket over it, still bright enough to get the message across. Speaker selection does count for sumpin'.
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X