Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .150 x .150 coated copper wire

Folks -

I have some of this stuff around (square cross section); now I need more and can't quite figure out what it is. It has a sortof eggplant purple coating on it.

Seems like it must be AWG Something-or-other...

Anyone know from this?

Bob Palmieri

Hmmm....

Unapologetically replying to my own thread, I'm thinking it's probably AWG 7 square....

Wonder where I got it in small quantities?

Maybe I'll get to answer myself again!

Comment

.150 what?
      MM or Inches?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Methinks you went to Nebraska Surplus!

https://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/Wire6.html

(WMG) SQ-6
        7 AWG (0.150" x 0.150") square enameled magnet wire. Made by Anaconda.
        $2.95/ft
        $2.55/ft (25+ ft)
        $2.25 (100+)

iff you mean inches, this stuff is HUGE, like a potato stick

Comment

Inches - or perhaps A Hunnert & Fifty Thou as you Real Machinists say!

Comment

I have, in fact, come to the same conclusion!

However, I do love your comparison to this noble snack item...

Comment

Originally posted by fieldwrangler View Post
              Folks -

I have some of this stuff around (square cross section); now I need more and can't quite figure out what it is. It has a sortof eggplant purple coating on it.

Seems like it must be AWG Something-or-other...

Anyone know from this?

Bob Palmieri
              Square magnet wire is made for winding certain kinds of transformers and motors, to pack more copper into the available space. The AWG rating will be that of a round wire of the same copper area. Anyway, my recollection is that MWS Wire Industries is a source.

MWS Wire Industries - Microsquare Magnet Wire

Hmm. They only do AWG 14 and smaller, so it is likely someone else. Anyway, it's called square magnet wire, and google finds many hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                Square magnet wire is made for winding certain kinds of transformers and motors, to pack more copper into the available space. The AWG rating will be that of a round wire of the same copper area. Anyway, my recollection is that MWS Wire Industries is a source.

MWS Wire Industries - Microsquare Magnet Wire

Hmm. They only do AWG 14 and smaller, so it is likely someone else. Anyway, it's called square magnet wire, and google finds many hits.
                Thanks for this! It was indeed the monicker Magnet Wire that had eluded me in my initial googlage. This AWG 7 Square seems to be a good fit.

Comment

Square wire is used in a lot of high powered speaker driver coils. Often it's aluminum to save weight.
                  Last edited by David King; 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM. Reason: schprelling

Comment

Working...
                  X