Single coil bobbin questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil bobbin questions

Bought the coil winding equipment from J Archer on here and have a few questions. Can i just wrap 1 layer of tape around the magnets or should I spray them with lacquer? Poly,shellac,varnish, will anything work for dipping?

I think tape alone is just fine if you can really get it right out to the edges. I use the USPS branded packing tape at my local department store as it extra thin and seems very tough. I lay down a strip and trim to width with a straightedge and x-acto knife. It wants to be about 1/64" wider than the space so it rolls up the tiniest bit onto the flat work and seals the end magnets completely.

Comment

If you are doing many, then most guys dip in lacquer, and then some tape, and some don't tape after the dipping dries.
      I recommend taping, whether you dip or not.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Trying to get away without spraying if possible. I figured the tape would stop it from shorting if the magnets got moved by someone or whatever. I can get this tape for 4/1$ appears to be intertape brand crepe backing, painters tape. I guess the spraying also helps with moisture and warping but did originals have lacquer?

Also, i haven't wound any yet just getting the bobbins ready, learning how to use the magnetizer, gauss meter. Making a traverse out of whatever i can find here. Also making a tensioner of sorts, maybe a top part of a fishing pole. I didn't use any CA on the magnet install as i bought a small 1/2 ton arbor press at Harbor Freight and the magnets fit in very tightly. I guess i will see if there's flare after i wind a few.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	SH102121.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	840965

Comment

I can see you've got your own ideas, which is good.
          Just do it the way you want to, and adjust from there.
          Last edited by big_teee; 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM.
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

NePA northeast Pa. I do have a lcr meter on the way so i can see if there are changes using lacquer, tape,or nothing,that's the way i learn, by experimenting. Tonekraft appears to have the best prices on flatwork.

Comment

I like to dip mine ... twice.

I believe it helps to not only insulate the magnets, but also acts a little like an adhesive keeping the flatwork and magnets together.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X