Super Reverb '65 RI - Changing Output Transformer to Match Speaker Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    FWIW the Ultimate Attenuator, basically a load resistor driving an SS back end, uses a single 30 ohm power resistor for any amp , no change for 4, 8 or 16 ohm ones.
    The actual circuit is VERY simple, the raw speaker signal directly drives (through a wire wound pot) a couple TO247 devices...
    It sounds like what you're describing is an attenuation/reamplification device, where the SS output ends up driving the speaker load.
    I would imagine that S/N suffers under that paradigm.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

It's important to remember that the 6L6GC wasn't available in the early 50's. Check the early schematics and 6L6 {nothing}, 6L6G, 6L6GB or 5881s were specified. Those tubes only had 19W plate dissipation rating. Not the 30W of the 6L6GC.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
        I think the simple explanation is that Leo was after low distortion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40299[/ATTACH]
        bob, I think that chart is for SE operation; note that the HT is rather low also.

I think that the 4k2 p-p OT came in with the 5881, eg 5F6A.

For the 6L6 based p-p amps, operating conditions didn't change much after that until the late 70s, so I suspect that Fender didn't intend the 6L6GC models to have a wider conduction angle than the 5881 models; so adjusting the bias for 70% dissipation at idle for 6L6GC may result in a wider conduction angle, higher idle dissipation, shorter tube life and generally more stressed conditions than Fender may have intended.
        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by bob p View Post
          It sounds like what you're describing is an attenuation/reamplification device, where the SS output ends up driving the speaker load.
          I would imagine that S/N suffers under that paradigm.
          Not significant in my experience. I expected that too, but not so. Maybe because your tone is already hissing like a snake if you're troubling with an attenuator
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
          X