No announcement yet.

Blade Style Pickup - Ceramic Magnet Orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so here's a question for you guys...

So, when you get into winding pickups, you inevitably end up with a lot of magnets and coils laying around. The other night, I figured I'd put some of these coils to use, so just for the heck of it, I did this:

This is a C8 next to an A5. I know that they're different thicknesses and different magnets altogether, but when I dropped it into my mule and plugged it in, this pickup sounded really, really good. Like, I almost cried with joy.

My question is, do I run a risk of the C8 demagnetizing or otherwise harming the A5 magnet with this configuration? Am I insane for doing this?

Thanks!

Comment

• I'd say that there was no chance of any harm to the A5 in this configuration.
      Are the turns counts about the same?
      Tell us more about what really, really good sounds like?

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
        I'd say that there was no chance of any harm to the A5 in this configuration.
        Are the turns counts about the same?
        Tell us more about what really, really good sounds like?
        Thanks. I've heard that the A5's can get demagnetized very easily - I just don't know how easily I guess.

The turn counts are about the same.

As far as the sound basically, the A5 kinda tamed the things I didn't like so much about the C8. Conversely, the C8 sort of bumps the A5 up a notch.

The pickups are very bright, although they are not harsh or brittle sounding like the C8's were. I was really struggling with that before. I play flats almost exclusively, and I hate the sound of a clangy bass. Now they're pleasantly bright as opposed to ice-pick-in-the-ear bright.

The lows are slightly looser and not as tight as the C8's, but they're not as constricted sounding to me. I feel like I have a slightly rounder low-end that would lay down a good foundation in a live setting without getting muddy. I'd say that the A5 gives it bigger bass, but the C8 keeps it from getting boomy. There's still plenty of immediate attack, although it's not over-the-top aggressive like the C8 pickups I made. It goes from punchy to smooth no prob. I always felt like Gene Simmons with the straight C8's.

The mids are not quite as strident as the C8, but they are well-defined and clear. They're not scoopy sounding and not honky-sounding either. I suppose if I positioned it elsewhere, I could get more fundamentals or more honk out of it if I wanted. Right now, I have it placed 13.25" from the 12th fret and it sounds pretty good right there.

Overall, this pickup has a very strong and clear sounding voice that goes from aggressive to mellow no prob. I'd say it has the commanding vibe of the C8 combined with the characteristic sound of the A5.
        Last edited by Freekmagnet; 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by David King View Post
          I'd say that there was no chance of any harm to the A5 in this configuration.
          In what configuration would the AlNiCo potentially be demagnetized?

Comment

• Originally posted by Freekmagnet View Post
            OK, so here's a question for you guys...

So, when you get into winding pickups, you inevitably end up with a lot of magnets and coils laying around. The other night, I figured I'd put some of these coils to use, so just for the heck of it, I did this:

This is a C8 next to an A5. I know that they're different thicknesses and different magnets altogether, but when I dropped it into my mule and plugged it in, this pickup sounded really, really good. Like, I almost cried with joy.
            I've been playing with a neo/C8 recipe, and I like what I hear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
              I've been playing with a neo/C8 recipe, and I like what I hear.
              Wow, what's that sound like? I've been curious about neos, but I can't seem to find much info about them other than that they're like the stongest magnets ever. What kind of tonal characteristics do the neos impart on the wind?
              Last edited by Freekmagnet; 05-21-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freekmagnet View Post
                Wow, what's that sound like? I've been curious about neos, but I can't seem to find much info about them other than that they're like the stongest magnets ever. What kind of tonal characteristics do the neos impart on the wind?
                Within the context of the sets that I wound - neos on slug coils with 42awg - I'm hearing a punchy low-ish-midrange sort of thing going on. There are others who have used neos much more than my little experiment and could comment better. The ceramic side has the brittleness you're experiencing. I'm liking the clarity and string separation I hear with the combo. It's something I'm going to experiment with more, playing with wind count on the next run.

Comment

Working...
                X