Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (UK) Roberts Radio > AC?

Chaps-

got an old vintage Roberts Radio, real 60's small rounder-edge 'cool' one with strap handle: type reissued in many fancy colours ~10 yrs ago but with mains plug & cost a bunch.

Mine uses a PP9 beast of a battery, and eats them up. Reckon it could be made into AC mains fed?

Ive made a few gtr amps so if cheap & feasable Im sure I can do it, or give to a pro friend who could do it in 15mins Im sure. If it can be done is the Q. New xfmr obviously..

Thanks SC.

Anything's possible (!) but it may be easier and safer just to mount a dc socket somewhere convenient (eg battery compartment lid?) and use a 9Vdc regulated wall wart.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Good idea pdf.. hadnt thought along those lines. Im not familiar with a wal wart (chin wart I know about).. do I need to get the precise mA figures to match or somehting do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
        Good idea pdf.. hadnt thought along those lines. Im not familiar with a wal wart (chin wart I know about).. do I need to get the precise mA figures to match or somehting do you think?
        I smell a very simple question turning into a 700 page useless thread.

Sea Chief, your question HAS been answered, now don't claim "I don't know what a mA is" or "I'm worried 'll blow my precious radio" or anything, just go to any dollar shop or better and buy a 9V power supply, sometimes called wall wart ... although the shop attendant probably won't know it by that name, specially in UK.

You'll also need a matching jack to fit to the radio ... if it does not already have one, that is.

9V power supply capability?

Anything between 500mA and 1A will do fine.

No, having a supply *capable* of more current will not damage your radio.

Anything like these will work very well:

Of course, these are *examples* , the one you get in UK will match UK mains voltage and wall plug configuration.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

JMFahey- pls dont reply on my threads/ I dont read your mean spirited posts as I assume this one is, again (I cant see it).

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
            I cant see it.
            Here's what you are missing.

You'll also need a matching jack to fit to the radio ... if it does not already have one, that is.

9V power supply capability?

Anything between 500mA and 1A will do fine.

No, having a supply *capable* of more current will not damage your radio.

Anything like these will work very well:

Click image for larger version

Name:	81TO9XqojFL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	841170

Name:	AC210N_9-Volt_Power_Supply__117VAC_.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	841171

Name:	p2733.jpg
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	841172

Name:	da1.jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	841173

Of course, these are *examples* , the one you get in UK will match UK mains voltage and wall plug configuration.

Comment

He replied that, a kind useful reply?? but where's his usual dose of nasty childishness? (now dont tell me.. you left that out Dave!).

I hadnt thought a wal wart (never heard of one in UK) adaptor thing would be the solution. Seems a simple plan, I guess I just take the + and - wires to the batt terminals instead to a jack socket to accomodate one of these block ac/ 9vdc things. Cool.

Comment

Working...
              X