5f1 build-reducing buzz/hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
    I think a tiny bit of hum in a Champ when the volume on 12 would be normal? But if you find out how to kill it all, please post lots of gutshots and step by step instructions!

I personally don't like my amps so quiet I can't tell they're on... I forget to turn them off. :O
    Justin
    The first amp I ever modified was a 91 Marshall plexi reissue. Mine. One of the mods was, of course, a master volume. I stuck it in the "indicator" lamp hole so I wouldn't need to use shielded lead all the way back to an input jack hole like so many do. Damn if I didn't forget to turn that amp off all the time.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      ...I hate wiring filament supplies, but a Champ only has two tubes on 6.3V...
      I have documented the results of the various steps in the "get the hum out of the Champ/Vibro Champ" and I have now done many that were dead quiet after just the extra Pi filter mod. This may sound like heresy to some people but the proof is in the results. I found out when I tested a Champ after the filter mod but before messing with the heater wiring. I left the heater wiring stock. Less work required, amp closer to original and still a happy amp owner.

Comment

Working...
      X