PC constipated- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I just bought the new Lenovo laptop a couple of weeks ago.
    It has a quad core processor, a 1TB hard drive, and 8gb of ram, and it was a little over $300 new.
    The old slow computers here get given to the grandchildren.
    T
    I'm one of the grandkids. Serioulsy tho, I just dont know why anyone would wish to part with even $200 if it does the same as the XP one Im on here (IE does the same things I do on this/ I dont see any reason for myself doing anything more taxing than I do- I wouldnt suddenly start flight simulating or 'doing a games' or anything). In fact afaict, the eg you mention would likely have a wide-format screen making all text-based pages (8/10 I, or most Id say too use) significantly smaller than my square screen format, on which everything would be bigger and clearer to read (I know this as a fact from comparing to my Ma's modern toshiba I & she has to squint at to read- utterly hopeless/ I wouldnt put up with that for even a week it would drive me insane). Id honestly see it as a downgrade, regardless of the x5 or x10 GB size it would likely have.

Comment

As far as having to squint, for you or ma. There are a few things you can do, depending on windows version. I assume ma's is fairly new so in start button> all programs> accessories> ease of access folder there is a magnifier, or for that matter a narrator which will actually read text.
      I don't use the magnifier but have adjusted my monitor so it is always enlarged a bit. This is done through start button> control panel> personalization. On the left side there is "Adjust font size (DPI)". I use the "larger scale 120 DPI" setting and find it enough.
      One more way is only for internet explorer. Click the "page" button, then click on "text size". Or you may also see in the bottom right corner a magnifier with a % number that can be adjusted.
      This is all for my windows vista machine, so other versions may differ but should be similar.
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I haven't seen one of the old square screens, or XP in several years.
        I don't do old and slow, XP was always a virus looking for a place to happen.
        My wife and I have 4 laptops and the oldest one is a 2012, and it has one of the screen hinges wounded.
        I wear one out about every 3-4 years.
        I pass them on, when they get old and slow, and I keep going.
        I keep new fully updated Linux on them all, it's fast and fairly secure, as security goes these days.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 03-06-2016, 01:00 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Hi g1. PC exactly the same.. now YTube stops at 23.08 i nstead of 23.17.

There must surely be a way of simply reverting back to how it was 2 months ago, without having to resort to the length of considering buying a new PC.

Re. the small text: yes I know there are magnifier things.. but my point was really re default/ stock form. To me it not an upgrade if the new PC is smaller on a basic text-based page (as most of the time we all look at on the www) than the prior PC. I call that a downgrade. I have enlarged Ma's text, but zooming in (as it effectively is) innevitably means a compromise in quality, images for eg are not sharp now. These wide format screens are a pathetic design I think for www (perfect -only- for films) & I wont have one in a month of sundays (main reason why I keep this fine old dell along with cost). A clear case of older = better.. like vinyl = better than cd, or cd = better than a download. No Q about it.

Other suggestions welcome. Why I get a shockwave mssg, or what on earth shockwave even is Ive no idea.. but I guesss its related to the flash player constipation. Thx SC.

Comment

Try the Chrome browser, it uses html5 player instead of flash.
            https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I have a hunch this may be at the root of your problem.

This article applies to Firefox as well as Chrome (yes, I know you don't have a laptop- it's a dumb title).
              Why YouTube in Chrome (and Firefox) is Draining Your Laptop?s Battery and How to Fix It

If you can't get through without eyes glazing over, just follow this link h264ify for Firefox, and good luck.
              Last edited by rjb; 03-06-2016, 02:06 AM.
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

There must surely be a way of simply reverting back to how it was 2 months ago, without having to resort to the length of considering buying a new PC.
                I'm reasonable certain that your computer is basically the same as it was 2 months ago, or even earlier, it did not change, but new versions of players or of Flash (Shockwave Flash is but the full name) or Firefox/Chrome updates may be too much for your computer.

Teeth are the same as before but bread is harder.

I mentioned downgrading and sometimes it worked to keep the machine working ... but some new tasks are not made,period.

Writers assume everybody has an updated machine or just one generation behind.

Any earlier one and it may stillwork, but you are on your own.

FWIW I keep an old machine to run old PCB design software, and old Corel 5 for front panels.

Why not update?

Because I have 25 years or more invested in designs which I still sell, and modern programs can't even open them, period.

I also keep an old Lexmark Optra+ Laser printer, because it has parallel input and understands old HP Laser II commands (PCL something) .

Those programs do not even imagine what USB is, go figure.

Funny thing is that even the oldest programs can generate Gerber files, so if I send PCBs to an external fabricator, they can be done; but since I always homemake, all I need is Laser transparencies to burn my own silkscreens.

Mind you, IF I were starting now I'd learn all the new stuff, but since, being realistic, how much longer can I work?
                5 years ? .... 10?
                That if I live that long.

So why waste, say, 1 year in a full learning curve, to be as experienced as I am on the old stuff, which I can do while sleeping with both hands tied in my back?

So I just sharpen the old axe and go tree cutting, leave the laser Burn-a-Tree for the newcomers
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I think Juan may be right, it may have been a flash update that is creating the problem. Or maybe a browser update. So you would have to figure out which version was in there a couple months ago when things were ok, and revert to that version.
                  I'm running into similar problems with a newer machine than yours. Recently starting to freeze for a minute when loading resource heavy web pages or videos. The older machines can only keep up with the ever bigger web pages for so long, then they start losing the battle. How else are they going to get us buying newer machines to keep up?
                  Originally posted by Enzo
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    Try the Chrome browser, it uses html5 player instead of flash.
                    https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/
                    Could I have Chrome -and- firefox browser's downloaded.. then just choose close FF and open chrome for YTube/ plyaer stuff for eg? or would having chrome too overburden its memory banks.

Tbh Ive tried chrome & just dont like the format at all, unlike FF which I do (& runs perfectly smoothly getting me quicker from A site to B, or C page to D than my Ma's x10 more powerful toshiba.. leading me to think just having x10 more 'power' doesnt neccessarily = better performance, just mre capable/ IE more encompassing perhaps, but as do only untaxing stuff..)

Id rather not have a working player than get a x10 more powerful widescreen placcy modern capoota. me no likey. SC

Comment

Understodd that g1, but it plays iplayer exactly as it did 2 months ago, and bbc news player stuff too/ no glitches (runs better than my Ma's tosh, IE get to the clip & plays quicker w'out any waiting/ both are FFox).. and that seems a much larger screen/ more work for it to do than a piddly Ytube top LH corner screen (or even minimising it completely & it still running.. still glitches & stops at 23.08)..

So it seems to have an issue with YTube really. Tho as said ebay (with no player stuff) too I get these shockwave mssgs, I assume related to player-at-time-of issues.

I'll do my best to follow your advcie & updtae, or revert back to whatever it was before.. but seems only one version to me available, or I did back whenever that being simply 'adobe flash player' afaict.

Comment

Hi rjb- it is a laptop. Is a PC a laptop? thought it was sorry if not clear. Anyway its a dell D600 with XP.

Battery is dead/ of no use even 5 secs (it was a refurb'd office LPC, cheap as chips but even with its minor issue- still unquestionably totally fabulous tbh, pref even to captain big-teee's fancy-schmanzy flight simulator one, as I envisage he has what with all his joysticks, screens & old pizza boxes & darkened windows already).

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                          There must surely be a way of simply reverting back to how it was 2 months ago
                          Go to 'System Restore' and if there is a restore point for 2 months ago restore it to that.

Comment

Hi Dave H. Ok, but where do I find 'system restore'?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                              Hi Dave H. Ok, but where do I find 'system restore'?
                              Go to - start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance. System Restore is at the top left under 'See Also'. Select 'Restore my computer to an earlier time', click 'Next' and select a Restore Point from two months ago (or whenever).

Comment

Omg like 2001 where the chap goes into Hal's brain & undoes those whatsits-? I'll have a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X