No announcement yet.

PC constipated- help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems I can only restore earliest 1/1/2016 tho. I need to go back say 2 months prior to be certain of it working then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
      Omg like 2001 where the chap goes into Hal's brain & undoes those whatsits-?
      "Dave my mind is going"

Try 1/1/2016, it may do the trick.

Comment

Dai.......sey........Dai.......sey......

That didnt work Dave. I restored to 1/1/16 but couldnt acces my FFox browser at all. So I panicked & re-restored back.

The chrome browser works slightly better for YTube (doesnt seem to stop at 23m ish, but still glitches/ drops out continuously albeit momentarily, a bit irritating) and I dont see any less performance in FFox with that installed too.. so I may as well stick there. Im not going new widescreen capoota no flamin way, not in a month of sundays.

Thanks SC

Comment

pref even to captain big-teee's fancy-schmanzy flight simulator one, as I envisage he has what with all his joysticks, screens & old pizza boxes & darkened windows already).
          Hey, that's totally uncalled for, are we starting again with your old ways?

Don't complain if somebody answers what you deserve nor complain about being unjustly attacked, because you are not.

You were already starting to regain some good karma points by sticking just to the Tech side, without getting personal, but I guess good things do not last.

As of me, I'm leaving the Tech advice here, feel free to keep enjoying your square screen old clunker.

By the way, as square as a pizza box, now that I think of it
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Hi rjb- it is a laptop. Is a PC a laptop? thought it was sorry if not clear. Anyway its a dell D600 with XP.

Battery is dead/ of no use even 5 secs (it was a refurb'd office LPC, cheap as chips but even with its minor issue- still unquestionably totally fabulous tbh, pref even to captain big-teee's fancy-schmanzy flight simulator one, as I envisage he has what with all his joysticks, screens & old pizza boxes & darkened windows already).
            Wow, no frills here.
            Just bare bones laptops, not even a mouse.
            I use the built-in touch pad.
            All jokes aside?
            Your old machine is probably running out of ram.
            Ditch the old junk and go buy a computer.
            They are dirt cheap these days.
            You have to pay to play!
            T
            Last edited by big_teee; 03-06-2016, 02:46 PM.
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Good suggestion re. Chrome big_teeese (its alot better than it used to be afair.. better layout by default) as it works really well for general www stuff. Fast as fast between pages & sites- excellent so Ive innadvertantly got a bonus there.

But its only a bit better for the flash issue, but, no error mssg (so far) & doesnt stop at 23.17. It is still tiny stuttery alot.. so cant play music it seems, but just about bearable. Hopefully I can iron that out, then its all working perfectly. You should get one/ its better than your widescreen one even if you got a trillabyte of romram (yes, it is).

I mainly use Ytube for putting on docos or boring lectures to which I fall asleep to (as is the plan). I aint a great get-off-to-sleeper. I quite like to go to sleep to a serial killer doco in fact, as its v. interesting & Im absorbed & so can nod off. I guess thats a bit weird?

thx SC.

Comment

If you must stick with the old machine, there are certain things you need to do to keep it functional.
                It's important to turn off any automatic updates of anything. Most modern programs do updates without asking. You need to set them all up so they ask first! This is hard to do, you have to get into the configuration of all the programs you run. Once you do it, then you can allow updates you think you may need, but do them only one at a time, and make sure you can revert back if you have a problem.
                I'm wondering if there was a firefox update that is giving you trouble, is it set to update automatically or does it ask? (if you don't know, then it is probably doing it automatically).
                Did you try the firefox add-on that rjb recommended in post #21? (second link in that post) It's quick and simple and may fix your problem.
                Originally posted by Enzo
                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks g1 will go over your suggestions this week.. and try & implement them. I seem to recall I do get the odd update to which Ive always thought only sensible thing was 'yes please' rather than 'no way'. So maybe thats been my unstucking.

I did open rjb's link yes, but it was too complicated; I couldnt see any path to follow at all to do anything of purpose.

Gratefully, SC.

Comment

I should get one?
                    As usual you don't know what you are talking about.
                    I've given, or thrown away better junk than that.
                    I like the wide screen format, you just have to know how to setup the resolution correctly.
                    If you can find some more antiquated RAM to fit your old machine, that might help.
                    Heed the call, I would start the shopping process for a new computer, before the next set of updates come out.
                    You're on borrowed time!
                    T
                    P.S. if you want more infractions, keep up the name calling, such as the big teeese.
                    You're to treat other members with respect, or pay the price.
                    Last edited by big_teee; 03-06-2016, 07:10 PM.
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Did someone say pizza? Yum!

Honestly anyone trying to get new versions of any software to perform well using the outdated, no longer supported, XP operating system is living in a pipe dream. To be honest it is sometimes hard to get flash to work on new systems etc etc... However, one last fix comes to mind for flash issues. Go to this youtube video and watch it... Hopefully it won't freeze up and error. As a last ditch effort you can turn protected mode off.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgZ1l01nAc

Also, note that the shockwave error will say update your flash right in the view screen of the youtube video. There will even be a button saying click this to update your flash etc etc... I have read that if you click that right there on the youtube video it will install malware. Beware do not ever click to up date flash that way.
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I agree with the views that say (or suggest) that the machine is simply too old to be useful (unless it's a special situation like Juan's and you know what you are doing technically). Plus, there has to be a security risk for a non-supported operating system. IMO it would be worth the lack of hassle to buy a new (or newer working used) PC (even though you won't be free of hassles from updates, bugs, and various issues).

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          I should get one?
                          As usual you don't know what you are talking about.
                          I've given, or thrown away better junk than that.
                          I like the wide screen format, you just have to know how to setup the resolution correctly.
                          If you can find some more antiquated RAM to fit your old machine, that might help.
                          Heed the call, I would start the shopping process for a new computer, before the next set of updates come out.
                          You're on borrowed time!
                          T
                          P.S. if you want more infractions, keep up the name calling, such as the big teeese.
                          You're to treat other members with respect, or pay the price.
                          haha!! how can you get so upset?! how?!

I was the most gently-ribbing you, and you explode! absolutely hilarious big-tee(se.. oh how rude! oh how pathetic/ you get upset at that?! haha then I cant refer to you as anything else now, can I!).

I was joking that you should get one for goodness sake! (tho I still wouldnt have any wide one to mine as Ive said- square is far better, no Q about it, for text-based pages).. honestly such a sensitive soul big-teese.

Lighten up! name calling- honestly thats so utterly ridiculous. With a little boy's cartoon and a name like that.. & you get all upset at big-teehee, or big-teese ?! wow, what a man you are! hahahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
                            I agree with the views that say (or suggest) that the machine is simply too old to be useful (unless it's a special situation like Juan's and you know what you are doing technically). Plus, there has to be a security risk for a non-supported operating system. IMO it would be worth the lack of hassle to buy a new (or newer working used) PC (even though you won't be free of hassles from updates, bugs, and various issues).
                            But its perfectly useful thanks. Its absolutely superb, even with its tiny niggles. If you offered me one of big-cheeses (I can see his little face contort in a howling rage ) widey-schmidey, wizzy wang doodle tetrapods instead.. Id get up & throw it in the river. Honestly no way/ completely useless to me if Id be squinting and irritated in 2 mins flat, & the keyboard would be far inferior quality, & the screen would likely have a refelctive surface (-the- most stupid idea). No sense in any way shape or form that is a better laptop. No, thats much, much worse; this one I have is clear, big, is fast between sites & the pages that I use. What more do I need than that? nothing thanks.

Comment

Thanks for that DrG. I'll surely go through that link tmrw a'noon & report back. I hadnt thought of going to TYube for a clip/ help on the issue.. good idea.

Comment

It's perfectly useful and usable until you want to connect to the internet and do online stuff.
                                If you have stuff you can do off-line with it, then fine. As far as online, that is always evolving, and your machine can no longer keep up.
                                Maybe youtube has made some changes in the last 2 months that require more resources that you don't have.
                                If you want to stay online, you will need a newer machine. If not now, it's just a matter of time. A couple years ago I was still on dial-up and could get by. Now I'm on a 100 times faster connection, yet it only seems about twice as fast. There is so much more data on each page its insane. Video was something off in the "future" when XP came out. You won't be able to keep up with video or skype for much longer with an XP machine. The problems you are getting are proof of this.
                                And I hate widescreen too.
                                Originally posted by Enzo
                                I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
                                X