No announcement yet.

Humbucker Dissection, Gibson Custombucker / Duncan Custom 78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my measuerements to the Custombucker section.
    First: Gibson Custombuckers were not appeared before 2013. They designed them for the Collector Choice Series, and not expanded to the True Vintage Series.

After testing a lot of CC guitars, i measured 2-3 sets (Sandy, Dutchburst, a 60's True Vintage).

I'm pretty a fan of this pickups.
    What's common is low output, but a very pronounced, round, woody sound (a little veiled).
    The pick-attack is like on single-coils.

For my taste, these pickups presents a very high benchmark in the Gibson line.

I've noticed, that every set is unique. I've measured 7,8 kOhm to 8,5 kOhm in different guitars (the pickups in the sets have identical resistance).

After a deal with a happy CC customer, i'm happy now to own one of these pickups.
    Because i'm winding my own pickups, and i learned a lot in this community, i'm ready to share my measurements of this pickup.

aClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7559.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	841689

Comment

Notice:
      - The cover shows no copper under the nickel-plating.
      - The pickup is waxed
      - There is no typical manufacturer decal on the underside, to identify the pickups (non of the CC Guitars i've inspected have this decal on the underside). Just the typical repro PAF-Decal.

Coils:
      - Bobbins are ABS, and have a round hole for the hookup wires (no 'offset- square-windows' like the mojo repros)
      - Slug coil: 4,16 kOhm, Screw coil (without the screws in place): 4,17 kOhm.
      There's no mis-matching, both coils have the same resistance.

Wire:
      It seems to be 42 plain enamel (i don't have the tool to measure the dimensions, but i can send a sample if someone has a tool, and ready to share). Resistance: 1,8 Ohm/feet (5,9 Ohm/meter)
      Because i'm using 42 PE from Elektrisola (min-nom), i measured my stock with on the same way. I measured 1,83 Ohm/feet (6 Ohm/meter).
      After this measurements i'm pretty shure, that Gibson uses the same wire from Elektrisola.
      The only difference can be, that they are using the nom-max version of the 42PE.

Winding:
      The pickup is mashine-wound, with exact 50 TPL back and forth.
      There is no scatter, the layers are very evenly.
      I'm not want to unwound the bobbins completly, but i unwound and rewound 500 turns on my winder.

But here comes the interesting part: i've never seen the starting hookup wire mounted like these.
      Please look at the photos. Usually a part of the wire is under the coil, but it's not the case.

Magnet:
      It's the typical long PAF Magnet, has a coarse surface, but not so coarse like the sand-casted magnets.
      There is a little corrosion, like tzhey were aged or something. I've no gaussmeter to measure, but it has the pull strength about a A3.
      My fully charged stock A5, A5U A2 and A4 are much stronger.

I believe, that the magic is in the magnet. I made a test, and swapped this magnet to my own winded pickups.
      A hugh improvement, my pickup sounded more like the Custombucker (the Custombucker sounds transparenter and more open).
      I noticed this phenomen on my 57 classics too. By swapping the magnets, the core sound of the original pickup is wandering with.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7565.JPG
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	841690

Name:	IMG_7567.JPG
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	841691

Name:	IMG_7571.JPG
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	841692

Name:	IMG_7579.JPG
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	841693

Name:	IMG_7594.JPG
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	841694

Comment

Name:	IMG_7576.JPG
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	841695

Name:	IMG_7577.JPG
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	841696

Name:	IMG_7582.JPG
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	841697

Name:	IMG_7566.JPG
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	841698

Comment

Just two questions to you:
            - can you recommend a simple gaussmeter for me? I've tried to buy a Spin Doctor, but unfortunately Mr. Glenn is not ready to ship to Europe currently.
            The Gaussmeter V3.0 from Italy (Guitarlab)is not responding to my answers, so i've to buy another brand.
            - i noticed, that the papertape of the bobbin has a coarse surface. cuarser thah the ones fron Stewmas or Allparts. I pretty like this type. Do you know a supplier for this tape?

Comment

Very nice work Mack, and thanks for sharing all of your data.
              Magnets, are a very big part of the tone on a humbucker.
              Along with the steel parts, baseplates, covers, and the size of the wire.
              The start and finish lead look to be both connected on the top after winding.
              A lot of the winders do that now.
              Pretty sure that Seymour duncan does it that way.
              These may very well be made by SD, I've heard they may make a lot of pickups for Gibson, and Fender.
              The advantage of that is you get a real even build up on the bottom of the bobbin.
              If you use a start lead pig tail like I do, you tend to get a little bit of a lopsided build up.
              I use the 1/4 inch paper tape from U-line.
              You have to buy 12 rolls at a time.
              Colored Masking Tape, Black Masking Tape in Stock - ULINE
              It has a nice adhesive on it, but is not overly rough, or corrugated like you mentioned.
              On the gauss meter, you might see what is available on ebay.
              I use the gauss meter built into my mojo winder.
              A separate meter would be convenient at times.
              Elepro, used to sell a gauss kit that several bought here.
              You might try searching the web for gauss meters.
              As far as sending the wire to be measured?
              It sounds like regular min/nom PE.
              It probably wouldn't be worth the shipping spent to send it to someone to measure.
              T
              ** Ebay gauss meter listings
              http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gauss-meter
              **For wire measuring, I have one of these and love it.
              It requires no batteries, but had to be initially calibrated, but it is easily done.
              It's a cheapie, but is well made, and comes in a nice wood box case.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/0-to-1-...meter-895.html
              Last edited by big_teee; 04-18-2016, 06:12 PM.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mack Guitarworks View Post
                I've tried to buy a Spin Doctor, but unfortunately Mr. Glenn is not ready to ship to Europe currently
                Where in Europe are you located, Mack?

Another thing... are you sure that's Plain Enamel? Gibson ordered SPN in that purple color, so if it's solderable without having to scrap the coating, then it's SPN.

Would you care to try that and report back?

Pretty please?
                Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                Milano, Italy

Comment

Did you measure the bobbin height?
                  Gibson is claiming that all of the newer pickups (2014 to present) bobbins have a winding area is .260" (or similar to that) while all of the newer Gibson HB's I've had apart are still close to .240"-.250" tall.
                  Thanks.

You can build a Gauss meter to run off of the DCR setting on your multi meter for a few dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                    Gibson ordered SPN in that purple color
                    Did you ever verify this in person Pepe?
                    I've yet to see any of it.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                      You can build a Gauss meter to run off of the DCR setting on your multi meter for a few dollars.
                      And here's how.
                      https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=gaussmeter
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

See post 28.
                        Last edited by big_teee; 04-19-2016, 03:27 AM.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                          Here's another that uses a stand alone 9 volt battery for shop environment with no USB voltage.
                          Thanks for the link. The magnetic field viewing card looks interesting for $2.75.

But there are different kinds of Hall effect sensors.
                          That particular sensor and circuit are for an on/off switch, not for measuring magnetic field.

The ad for that part says:
                          This component can be used in a circuit to open and close a contact when exposed to alternating N and S poles of a magnet. Will also work if exposed to the same pole on alternative sides of the sensor.
                          ________________________________________________________ ______

For a DIY gaussmeter, you need a "ratiometric" hall effect sensor.
                          The sensor mentioned in the K&J Magnetics link doesn't have to run off a USB cable- that's just an easy way to get a regulated 5V supply (supply range for this sensor is 4.5V to 6V).

Here's a partial description of the Allegro A1302 ($1.57 at Newark):
                          The A1302 is a continuous-time, ratio metric, linear Hall-effect sensors. It is optimized to accurately provide a voltage output that is proportional to an applied magnetic field. This device has a quiescent output voltage that is 50% of the supply voltage. Two output sensitivity options are provided: 2.5 mV/G typical for the A1301....

The K&J blog shows 3 options - from the simplest possible hookup to a circuit that scales 1000 gauss to 1.0V on the DVM.
                          Last edited by rjb; 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

This is probably the circuit I was looking for.
                            Build your own Gaussmeter
                            You can go the handmade route, but a real gauss reading meter is a lot more fun.
                            With a real gauss meter, you don't have to do all that converting.
                            Plus you don't have to waste your time building tools, and you can spend your time making pickups.
                            I would just order something.
                            Anyway lets get back to the humbucker building & analysis.
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 04-19-2016, 06:37 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Hi Pepe, i'm located in Hungary, Budapest.

I'm pretty sure it's pl. enamel. It doesn't solder easy without sanding the insulation away.
                              The formvar and pe wires from Elektrisola are much easier to work with.
                              But if you mind, i can send you a sample (about 2-3 m rolled in a ball in a envelope).

Cheers,
                              Arpad

Comment

The bobbin outside dimension is 9,8mm (0,385").
                                The winding area is 1/4" (6,35 mm).

There was no distorsion on the edges like on the butyrate bobbins.

Comment

Working...
                                X