Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single coil Pickups GLASSY SOUND problem!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Can we please get back to the OP's problem?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
        Kojak is the forum bully with all that usually implies
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJiGu6Gz8E

Keeping the Forum clean, one poser and phony at the time since 2007!
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by colmax View Post
          Someone said something in short circuit...

I guess that's the problem ...

Yesterday came one guitar pickups maker from Toronto ...

He is not a professional but he made a lot of quality pickups ...

He checked my pickups and according to his calculations, they are short-circuited...

When h e reviewed the wire and my machine winding, we have found a possible problem...

Rod through which the wire passes before the coil off the insulation on the wire...

Today I have to do a new design for this and try to rewind again...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38281[/ATTACH]
          I hope you will consider winding the same bobbin over again, with the same wire gauge, same bobbin height, and the same pointy pole pieces, in order to see if the pickup still sounds bright, even with a fresh winding on it.

Comment

If you have a break in the coil you can end up with a very thin tone, depending on where the break is. You still get sound because the windings are capacitively coupled to each other.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              If you have a break in the coil you can end up with a very thin tone, depending on where the break is. You still get sound because the windings are capacitively coupled to each other.
              How can I know that I have a break in the coil?

I did make one set of good ...
              I tried to repeat the same but second attempt again Collapse...

Somewhere I make a mistake...

Today I bought a new thermal guage ...
              Perhaps the wax too hot...

Comment

Hi Colmax
                To check If you have a break in the coil, set your multimeter on a high ohms setting (mega ohms) and see if you get a reading. If your coil is shorting against the magnets check that by using the meter on 20 k ohms setting and touching the start wire and the magnets to see if you have a reading. (make sure the laquer on the magnet if you use it is scraped away so as not to insulate and give false readings. It's usually the end magnets the E high and low that cause the problem. I was quite surprised as to how many pickups (strat tele style) have shorts even with laquer insulation. If you have a break in the coil the tone is usually very thin, hums more than normal and also the tone control works more like a volume control. Good luck.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X