Digitech Whammy 4 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digitech Whammy 4 problem

Been using this pedal a few years now. But not very much. Started having a problem. plug it in, all lights come on and stay on. Had a local music shop, open it up. And this is what he found.
    looks like something dripped down onto frame. any idea's. thanks
    Attached Files

Looks like a capacitor exploded at the top and it spilled onto the metal plate.

Can you remove the pc board from the mounting posts and inspect the cap?

Comment

Sure looks like capacitor guts.

Comment

I'm trying to repair a Whammy 4 right now. Also problems with the power supply. A real ugly stench coming from what I gather is a regulator.

Comment

ok, I'll look into that today! thanks

Comment

yep! the capacitor thingy in the middle is swollen on top, and looks as though it leaked on the housing. what the heck would have caused that! I very sparingly used this pedal over the years. So what do
            I have to do? send the board somewhere to get it replaced? I live nowhere near an electronics store. I'm like, hours in the mountains. thanks again

Comment

Then box it up and mail it to someone who knows what they are doing.

The bad cap needs to be unsoldered from the board and removed, and the cap guts needs to be thoroughly cleaned away. Then a new part is soldered in place. We also need to determine if there are more problems inside. That cap might have simply failed, or it might be a diode shorted and left AC on the cap. Or, and the very first suspect in my book, someone plugged the wrong power adaptor into the unit.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

That someone had to be me. I've got a lot of pedals and adapters. wow, that is not good. ok, thanks

Comment

Working...
                X