Crackle noise following notes on E & B strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackle noise following notes on E & B strings

I purchased a Hallmark Custom 60 a few months ago and I'm noticing that there's a subtle crackle that follows notes on the E and B strings most of the time. It continues when I change cables and amps. I did find that the bridge pickup is microphonic. I've owned guitars with microphonic pickups before, but never had an issue with crackling. Before I pot or replace that pickup, I wanted to see if that's the likely culprit.

Does it do this on either pickup? Is maybe the low side of a pickup too high and strings hitting? I might try lowering the offending pickup first.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Like the Dude said!
      Try playing it unplugged, and see if you detect any noise on those strings?
      If you do it will probably be amplified plugged in!
      GL,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I had a similar problem, I would describe my noise as static, similar to the small click you get when switching pickups. Cleaning the switch cured it for me (it did take a thorough cleaning, not just a shot of deoxit. You could try jumpering around suspect components (switch, vol. and tone, etc.) and see if that makes a difference. I suspect a poor/intermittent connection, I suppose an intermittent short in pickup windings could cause it but this strikes me as a completely different issue than a microphonic pickup. Have you checked resistances with a VOM? What kind of guitar is it? Are the electronics accessible? I have an S-Style that I have to remove the neck to take the pickguard off, that makes troubleshooting a lot harder.

Comment

I'm rather embarrassed that I didn't think of isolating the noise to one pickup, so I gave it a go when I got home tonight. It happens on both pickups and it definitely sounds like static. It trails the note by just a hair. It can be intermittent too. I can strum those two strings with a pick for a few minutes before the noise will appear again. I played it unplugged and no problems heard there. The bridge has locking saddles and I'm getting no rattles from it. I lowered the pickups on the treble side and no change. The guitar is a Hallmark Classic 60 - essentially a set-neck Mosrite. One thing I just discovered is it's only happening when I pick with a hard surface such as a pick or a fingernail. If I strum those two strings with the pads of my fingers, there is no crackle noise. I can slide my fingers up and down those strings and get no crackle. It doesn't seem to be too dependent on volume. I can turn the volume down to the point where the output at the amp is fairly quiet, and the static-like sound seems just as loud as when the volume is higher. I don't hear it at all when the guitar's volume knob is all the way down. It's not the sound of the pick, because at super-low volumes I can hear that on every string. The crackle is additional.

I've chased wiring bugs before, but this one is a first. I might start with reflowing the solder connections under the pickguard. I do have spare components to swap out if necessary. Thanks for the input, I'll report back if I find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
            It happens on both pickups and it definitely sounds like static.
            Maybe it is static.
            Try rubbing your pickguard with a dryer anti-static sheet.
            See here: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26583/
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              Maybe it is static.
              My guess, too. If the sheet of Bounce helps you might try gluing aluminum foil to the back of the pickguard. Just putting a sheet of Bounce under the pickguard might help, too.

Good luck!

Steve Ahola
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I have heard of some Gibsons having trouble with static buildup. I think it had something to do with the paint acting as an insulator but I have no idea why some guitars have this problem. If I read correctly you turned down the volume of the guitar and the crackle was not diminished. I would try bypassing as much of the electronics as possible and see what that does.

Comment

Here is what the Hallmark Custom 60 looks like. The pickguard could be covered with masking tape to see if it is the source of the crackling.

Steve Ahola
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                    Maybe it is static.
                    That was it! I bought a box of unscented dryer sheets and wiped one on the pickguard. I just got through noodling on those strings for half an hour without incident. I remember reading about this years ago with Telecasters and I've never had this happen on any of the many guitars I've owned. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Comment

My only disappointment is that they don't make a "new guitar smell" dryer sheet.
                      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                        My only disappointment is that they don't make a "new guitar smell" dryer sheet.
                        How about stale beer scented dryer sheets for "vintage guitar smell"?
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                        X