Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Backstage Schematic Service Manual

Hi

Does anyone have a copy of the circuit diagram (schematic) and/or service manual for a Peavey Backstage amp please?

This is the small 10 watt model made in china, there is another post on this forum but the attachment doesn't seem to work.

Amp blows a fuse, I have found (so far) O/P transistors are S/C, that might be all but it would be nice to have a circuit before I start replacing bits!

Cheers

Peavey does, contact customer service at the factory and ask for it.

The schematic IS the service manual.

There were several Backstage versions. Here is one from 2003, is it like yours?
    http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Peavey/..._Schematic.pdf
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Peavey does, contact customer service at the factory and ask for it.

The schematic IS the service manual.

There were several Backstage versions. Here is one from 2003, is it like yours?
      http://bmamps.com/Schematics/Peavey/..._Schematic.pdf
      Looks good to me, I left the amp at work today so I'll check for sure tomorrow.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Enzo,

At least for the bits I've looked at, that is the schematic albeit the 120V version.

For those googling the fault:

Model: Peavey Backstage
        Symptom: Dead, no power light
        Fault:
        Fuse Blown (T125mA for 230V version)
        Output transistors short circuit
        Q9 D2058 2SD2058 KSD2058 replaced with equivalent Fairchild KSD2012GTU
        Q10 B1366 2SB1366 KSB1366 replaced with Fairchild KSB1366GTU

I've replaced the above and it works, although it is a little "scratchy" on switch on, not sure how good this model was to start off but I think I will put it on a dummy load and test at work, it probably deserves a few new electrolytics but I haven't got any to hand here at home in the kitchen.

I'm not 100% sure what caused the fault (might have something to do with a six year old boy) but the O/P transistors have no heat transfer compound under them and the threads they screw into were burred, so not a lot of thermal contact to the steel chassis. Not the best build quality I've ever seen!

Cheers

Comment

Nothing to google, you identified the problem and found defective parts.

WHY did the output transistors fail? Who knows? You probably never will. Random component failure. Static discharge. etc.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If the transistor insulators were rubbery grey sheets, they don't need grease because material is elastic.
            If you replace them with mica, which is rigid, you need to add some.

Don't reuse the SilPads because they become rigid with time, no big deal if untouched but if pulled *must* be replaced.

Without even seeing it, I thought "what a cheesy amp" .

Preamp circuit is Transtube, a Peavey staple, but power amp is horrible, looks like a typical Duck Jean design (Dean Markley and many others cheap OEM supplier), maybe Peavey needed to cover a very low cost slot and they couldn't produce it themselves for so little.

It would be nice to see a couple gut pictures.

A 10W Backstage??????? What were they thinking?

Smallest I ever saw was 35W and that was in the late 70's.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The old teal-stripe Backstage 110 was (is) a solid little amp. Made in the US in the 80s and built to last - my favourite Peavey era. Sonically, nothing spectacular but small and good with pedals. I've had one for years as a little test amp.

Comment

Yes, it's actually a "mini Bandit" , downscaled to 10" speaker, smaller cabinet of course and 60/70% the power of the same era Bandit ... but sounding just as good.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
                  The old teal-stripe Backstage 110 was (is) a solid little amp. Made in the US in the 80s and built to last - my favourite Peavey era. Sonically, nothing spectacular but small and good with pedals. I've had one for years as a little test amp.
                  MickBailey et al, I have the 110 teal also. Having overheat/shutdown issues,
                  Backstage 110 with 65W RMS, probably main reason I wanted it over the lower wattage backstage 30 etc. And yes, it is ridiculously loud for a single 10".
                  I can't play it much higher than a 1 on the volume without discomfort. I guess that should be the first question: 1) Does this in itself indicate an electronic problem? 2) It's been running hot, shutting down on temp. When I activate reverb, it starts ok, then starts an increasing feedback type hum until I switch reverb off. I pulled the panel out and found a (one of only two larger) resistor with a hot spot showing on the board. I would love to replace that resistor immediately even though in my wildest dreams I'm sure it's not all that's wrong. Problem is, the values are pretty scorched off, so I need a schematic. 3) I have contacted customer support for a schematic, with no results. Did I send to the right email? Did they not reply because they can't help me? I read on forums.peavey.com that they respond promptly? I will try again after posting this. I know, I can take it to Empirical Sound here in Cleveland, but if I'm dumping money into old technology, I think I'd rather just buy a new modeling amp for around $350. Anyone please comment on 1), 2), 3)

Comment

Your best bet is to CALL Peavey.

Comment

Peavey Schematics

https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/p/peavey/

https://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=peavey
                      It's All Over Now

Comment

Working...
                      X