No announcement yet.

How do I rewire a 16ohm cab to be 8ohm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I rewire a 16ohm cab to be 8ohm?

I have a pretty old Marshall straight cab with greenbacks in it that sounds amazing, but I recently switched amps to a 30W Orange Dual Terror. At my band practice, I can easily compete with the other guitarist (playing through a 50W JCM 900) while I''m playing through an 8ohm Mesa cab, but when playing through my 16ohm marshall cab, I don't have enough headroom and the other guy has to turn down.

Is there a way of re-wiring the cab without having to swap my speakers to go from 16ohm to 8ohm?

Welcome to the place!
    I'm assuming it's a 4x12 cabinet? No, there is no way to rewire it to be 8 ohms. If your new amp will do 4 ohms, there is a way to wire it to 4 ohms. Simply parallel the 4) 16 ohm speakers instead of the likely series/parallel wiring of 4) 16 ohm speakers that currently exists. Saying all that, it's more likely this has to do with speaker efficiency than load. I doubt it would make much difference.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

That orange has a 16 ohm output. Is that what you are using?
      If so, it's not the impedance, it's the type of speakers and their efficiency, like the Dude said.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DUAL_TERROR_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	841439
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
      X