Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correlated Magnets - Applications for Pickups ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correlated Magnets - Applications for Pickups ?

Hi

I stumbled across Correlated Magnets that allow you to create Magnets where it's possible to "Program" "magnetic pixels" on the surface of the magnet. This allows for both North and South polarities to exist in any pattern on the same surface.

I'm wondering if this style of magnet could be adapted for pickups. Clearly you cannot alternate the N-S on a single coil, but in multi coil pickups this may be relevant.

Anyhow .. It's fascinating technology.

Steve

Interesting.

Not sure about pickup use, not the conventional ones at least simply because they were developed around a N-S bar or two, in different shapes and configurations but at least Magneplanar speakers use a distributed "the diaphragm is the voice coil" system to allow thin light large diaphragms to move air, similar to electrostatic speakers, and it requires magnetic field "strips" on the whole surface ... and we know a speaker is a microphone in reverse, at least conceptually.

"Many on the same surface" magnets are used in stepper motors, actuators, position sensors, etc.; "created using a regular Magnetizer and custom designed yokes, I guess this company has some complex multi coil yoke, each coil concentrating on a small area of the magnet, (which is a **huge** achievement in such small sizes as offered) , and such magnetizer coil configuration is computer controlled, hence nthe Software mentioned.

Yes, I bet they can achieve a particular magnet configuration or another, at will, without needing to machine a new yoke every time.

Cool idea , I watched the videos and what they promise is feasible.

Thanks for posting

PS: these are some ways magnets can be magnetized, we are familiar with the first two: axially magnetized (Alnico cylindrical rods) or through thickness, as in alnico or ceramic "rectangular" bars, but many more are possible.
    Notice that at least two create lots of tiny magnets on a single surface.
    FWIW humble "fridge magnet sheets" are also magnetized in narrow strips for better fridge cabinet adhesion.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	843741468_155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	841474

Thanks again
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
      I stumbled across Correlated Magnets that allow you to create Magnets where it's possible to "Program" "magnetic pixels" on the surface of the magnet. This allows for both North and South polarities to exist in any pattern on the same surface.
      There are patents. Search on Google Patents for correlated magnets.

Comment

I was going to note that another thread parallels this one- but it seems to have disappeared.

The first post in the other thread had a link to a shorter version of this vid
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANBoybVApQ

This vid has more detailed explanation about printed polarity magnets.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drD416THU7Y

[EDIT]
        Partial quote: "Up to this point we've been working in the area of government research grants... from the Navy... and we have other grants (pause) some which we can't talk about."
        [/EDIT]
        Very interesting, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for this technology to be cheaply available to pickup hobbyists.
        Last edited by rjb; 03-30-2016, 09:20 PM.
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
          I was going to note that another thread parallels this one- but it seems to have disappeared..
          Still there. It is the last several posts of this: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t41647/ (pickups out of phase)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
            Still there. It is the last several posts of this: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t41647/ (pickups out of phase)
            How silly of me. Why didn't I look there first? At least it's not in the President Trump thread.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
              How silly of me. Why didn't I look there first? At least it's not in the President Trump thread.
              It was not the first place I looked either, but I am feeling stubborn today and had to find it.

Comment

Working...
              X