Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland cube 20 weird constant scratchy wind noise

Hi there,

I have a problem with my Roland cube 20, it makes a scratchy windy distorted constant noise when plugged in, not the volume switch cleansing problem, more like a constant noise, I was wondering if I could fix it myself??

The amp is about 7 years old, fixable or too complicated

Also wanted to know if I could Change the power in socket to a DC in socket to power it like the street amp?

Thank you very much

This will help...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roland Cube 20.gif
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	841570

Any chance you could make an mp3 of the noise?
    Do any of the controls change the character of the noise? Spcify which ones and how they change it.

To convert to DC operation is quite a bit more complicated then simply changing the connector as the amp needs +/- 24V (four 12V batteries) to work. Assuming you want to use it for mobile I think the easiest solution would be to use an external sine wave inverter and 12V car battery. It would all be a bit bulky and heavy though.

is
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Hey Nick thanks a lot,

I just recorded the sound have to find a way to send it now 😐
      When I put volume up and just even barely touch the strings or play them there is horrible distorted scratchy constent sound like wind non stop and this time kinda varried with some bip sound when playing one string at a time, doing my best to describe it, pretty odd but the sound unbearable, was asking myself if it s just a little connection or somin!?! Thanks

And would it be possible to power the amp in some way with this lithium tracer battery?? TracerPower.com Tracer 12V 4Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Khedorjee View Post
        Hey Nick thanks a lot,

I just recorded the sound have to find a way to send it now 
        When I put volume up and just even barely touch the strings or play them there is horrible distorted scratchy constent sound like wind non stop and this time kinda varried with some bip sound when playing one string at a time, doing my best to describe it, pretty odd but the sound unbearable, was asking myself if it s just a little connection or somin!?! Thanks

And would it be possible to power the amp in some way with this lithium tracer battery?? TracerPower.com Tracer 12V 4Ah Lithium Polymer Battery Pack

Thanks
        The battery would be OK for an hour or so, but you still need a sine wave inverter .

If you reply, Go Advanced then hit the paperclip icon your will get a little dialog that will you allow to upload most things. If it doesn't like the extension rename it filename.mp3.zip.

OK , so the volume has to be up. How much?
        What about the pre-volume?
        What about tone controls?
        Aside from the noise, do the controls appear to work as normal?
        Reverb knob?
        What if your guitar is unplugged- any unusual noise?

The more detailed information you provide the easier it is to narrow down.

Comment

Dropbox link amp sound

Here is the Dropbox link of the sound
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9axsl477b...oland.m4a?dl=0

Ok so there is no sound when the guitar is not plugged in

2 volume very low the sound starts and putting more volume of course it goes lowder, when putting effects the sound changes, follows the sound when I put distortion it becomes more distorted and when I put the flanger it becomes more flangy, tried
          To move the bass middle and treble doesn't seem to react, controls are basically just working but on this horrible whistle shifting to distorted sound.

3 when I fiddle the jack in the amp input it reacts scratching to no sound sccccccrrrrrshhsh bzzzzzzz ......... Scrshhh scrsshh somin like that
          There something happening with the
          Jack socket

Thank you

Comment

OK we've been at cross purposes. The cube 20 doesn't have a flanger. What is the EXACT model number?

If you believe the jack socket is problem it may be the soldering to its board or perhaps an associated connector is loose. This means taking it apart enough to at least inspect the joints.

Comment

Ok it is cube-20x from 2010 or 2009

Did you hear the sound on Dropbox?

Thanks

Comment

I'm not familiar with that model so there is not much I can say, but I bet it's based around a DSP board which would be very difficult to fault find. Hopefully they'll be somone who'll read this who is and so will be able to help more.

Yes I did hear the sound. it was a bit hard to figure out as there was so much in the way of effects. Try it again with the effects disabled / bypassed as best as you can.

First try a factory reset in case the DSP has got itself in a mess. I can't seem to find how to do that but it usually consists of something like holding down a button while powering on. You might have to ask Roland.

Next, fix your connection issue on your jack. If its loose there's a good chance that its soldering needs attention.

Comment

Working...
                X