Adding a Negative Feedback loop on a 5C1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Negative Feedback loop on a 5C1

I realy like the effect it as on a 5F1, can it be done on a 5C1?
    Any info would really help. Very green in tube amp building.

The pentode preamp tube limits the options. That leaves feedback to the 6V6. Some Fenders use feedback to the power tube grid, but they are push pull amps IIRC and the Volume control presents a problem. The last option is feedback to the 6V6 cathode. Disconnect the cathode resistor from ground and connect it to the speaker. Don't try it unless you have an oscilloscope. It may oscillate no matter which way you change the phase.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks for the info. But since this is my first amp build, I'll stick to the schematic for now

Comment

Here's a schematic of a 5c1 style amp with adjustable negative feedback.
        champ.sch.svg

Voltage to 6SJ7 screen grid is taken from 6V6 cathode and there's a 1k potentiometer in series with the cathode bypass cap to adjust the amount of negative feedback.
        Last edited by Lauri; 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Does that NFB arrangement enable the 6SJ7 to have sufficient gain for the application, with such a low screen grid voltage (ie dc coupled to 6V6 cathode)?
          My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
            Does that NFB arrangement enable the 6SJ7 to have sufficient gain for the application, with such a low screen grid voltage (ie dc coupled to 6V6 cathode)?
            With 6V6 cathode fully bypassed the 6SJ7 gain will be approximately 150 (43.5dB).

Comment

Is that measured or calculated?
              If calculated, have you factored in the likelihood of reduced transconductance due to the low screen grid voltage?
              My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

150 gain is my conservative estimate. In a similar circuit I measured almost 200 gain.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	champ_5c1.png
Views:	1
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	841632

So I redraw your propose changes to the original 5C1 schematic (Just to make sure I understand)
                  Did I get it right?

Comment

Yes you got it right. You'll also probably want to change the 250k plate resistor to 330k or 470k.

Comment

If you have the amp built already you don't even have to remove the 2M resistor. Just remove the 0.05µ bypass cap, connect the screen to 6V6 cathode and add the 1k potentiometer.

Comment

was this ever built?

Comment

Yes, I built this kind of an amp long time ago. The only difference was that it didn't have the adjustable NFB.

Comment

I built a test circuit to make sure this thing works correctly and it does. I tried different values for 6SJ7 plate resistor, 270k sounded the best. With 300V plate voltage and 260V screen voltage for 6V6, output power was about 4W with 5k plate load and 3W with 10k plate load. 6SJ7 had 150 gain with 270k plate resistor and 260V supply voltage.

Here's a sound clip demonstrating the NFB control in action.
                            champnfbtest.ogg

Last edited by Lauri; 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Talk about going the extra step!
                              Thanks a lot for all this work.
                              So where you able to get good clean sound with the alot of NFB and cranking up the volume?

Can't believe you did this last night!
                              Never built an amp before, so for me this is remarkable.

Now I have to decide what speaker to use !?

Comment

Working...
                              X