Tele Bridge PU in a Strat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Bridge PU in a Strat ?

Has anybody stuck a Tele bridge PU in a Strat (bridge position)? I've seen it done with a metal plate on the front of the pickguard, but can't you just enlarge the hole for the PU and drill holes for the Tele mounting screws?

Is there a source for a plastic cover that will fit a Tele pickup?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Sonny Landreth plays a custom strat with a rail tele bridge Pickup.
    Maybe you could enlarge the pickguard hole.
    That depend on how your body is routed?
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I think the pickup should be angled the other way, to fatten the tone of the skinny strings. Same goes for the P-Bass split pickup.

Comment

For now the OP is just wanting to replace the strat bridge Pickup, with a Tele Bridge pickup.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 04-17-2016, 01:32 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

On the P Bass, the subject was touched on in this thread: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26697/

I'm attaching the slightly modified pic here, the original was lost when the forum had a problem a while back.

On the P Bass it makes a little bit of difference, not worth the effort IMHO.

On a Strat you can hear the difference when you play one that's strung up backwards ala Hendrix. I'm not 100% sure it's all the pickup position, I think the acoustic tone changes slightly, but it's an interesting change from the stock Strat setup.

Routing the body isn't a big deal, any mistake is covered by the pickguard. I think the main problem is that the Strat pickup mounting holes end up being half way through the rout for clearance around the Tele pickup. Landreth's guitar has what looks like a Tele bridge plate and no tremolo.
          Attached Files
          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Any particular reason for wanting the Tele Bridge P/U in the strat?
            They make 3 pickup teles.
            With the rosewood neck it sounds like a strat.
            I've had guys want to buy this one, but then I would just have to make another test stratotele.
            T
            Attached Files
            Terry

Comment

I would have actually USED the bridge position on my Strat if it had come with it... I tried mounting one in a Squire Mini, I know, maybe not the GREATEST comparison, but it was definitely a different vibe & feel. I feel like despite Leo's best efforts, he never quite got any better than the Tele Bridge pickup... never found a way to get a Strat to sound like a Tele. Same as getting a Strat Neck sound out of a Tele w/out putting an actual Strat pickup in it.

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I heard a guy play that had a Tele bridge pickup in the middle position of his Strat. I don't know how much of it was the pickup but he sounded excellent.

Comment

I've put a Tele p/u in the bridge position of a Strat p/guard by hand filing. It doesn't take much to open it enough for the open bobbin to go thru at an angle. Plugged the existing p/u holes w/ the little push-in plugs Mouser sells. Also have one glued to a h/b bottom plate. That necessitates a flatter angle, however.

Comment

I'm fighting the urge to put one in the middle of my Les Paul. I would probably mount it straight.

Comment

Since this has nothing to do with making pickups, I think it belongs in Guitar Tech!
                      I'm sure this topic will get lots of comments in the Guitar Tech Category!
                      Personally I've never had any problem winding an adequate stock type pickup for a strat.
                      Good Luck with all of the modifications!
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        Since this has nothing to do with making pickups, I think it belongs in Guitar Tech!
                        I'm sure this topic will get lots of comments in Guitar Tech Category!
                        Personally I don't see any reason to go altering strats or Les Paul guitars.
                        Good Luck with it!
                        T
                        Terry, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen anyone do it yet. Would be badd ass to have a big fat tele p/u in the bridge position. If I get a cheepo Strat/Squier just may have to do exactly that. Always liked the Fenderstein concept: Tele neck on Strat body & verse visa. Parts is parts, bolt 'em together & get something "different."
                        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I tried this. Tele bridge pickups sound different without all of that metal around them, and not in a good way IMO.

Comment

Richard Thompson.

Photo credit: Ron Slenzak
                            Ferrington Custom Guitar
                            (with a mixture of pickups)

I like my blue Ferringtoncaster best, although the top string could be louder.

The blue Ferrington has a P90 at the neck, an Alnico Strat in the middle, and a Broadcaster at the bridge. It has a 5 position p/u selector. Each p/u has a volume control, but no tone. In the blend positions, this gives infinite tone combinations between p/us, by backing off the volumes
                            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                              I tried this. Tele bridge pickups sound different without all of that metal around them, and not in a good way IMO.
                              Can you describe the difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X