Thomas Vox E-tuner, G-tuner replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Vox E-tuner, G-tuner replacements

I'm always a little stoked when these things work. I just got a PIC up and running that puts out a mixture of 164Hz and 329Hz for an E-tuner output and integrates in the old amplifier circuits - I think. The simulation says it does, anyway.

Pulling a pin low on the PIC at power up makes it be a G tuner.

This turns the old tapped-inductor tuner oscillator into a single IC and some discretes on a bit of board, and ought to plug into the same connector. It's crystal controlled, so it won't ever drift.

Now all I gotta do is rebuild the patchboard onto some perfboard and try it in an amp.

Sorry - I had to tell someone.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

ACK. Spoke too soon. It works **IF** I can get the crystal oscillator to start up. The test lashup quit starting, so I have to go relearn crystal oscillators.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Comment

ACK. Starts, but is intermittent. This is the first problem I've had with crystal starting in years.

Comment

I'd be happy to send you a bunch of NOS oscillator coils that I use to build or rebuild the original ones.

The last time I fixed a Starstream, I tried to show the owner how all of the FX worked. I showed him the E-Tuner function and how you had to turn down the volume control in order to hear it. He asked why bother, his chromatic tuner was a lot easier to use. I was all excited that it was working and he was suitably unimpressed.

Kids!

Comment

That is very generous, and I'd love to take you up on it. I'll contact you by PM.

I *think* I got the signal injection right, but I don't have a working e-tuner to compare to, just theory.

Comment

OK it works again. Got some time back with the PIC programmer setup, and - you really do have to set up crystals right to get them to work. DOH!

Comment

From my experience with crystals, anything using them that needs to be roadworthy should be drop tested.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Drops of what?
                Would Scotch do?

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                  Drops of what?
                  Would Scotch do?
                  You should only use 190 proof Everclear.

Comment

Working...
                  X