Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackie SRS1500 circuit board.

I am having a bit of a Mackie week!
    I have recieved for repair an aging SRS1500 sub. Fault reported as smoke from vent when plugged in then died.
    Having opened it I discovered that C17 has failed and in doing so burnt a hole 3/4" x 1/2" right through the board. As, again, this is a board no longer available to purchase from Mackie or any distributor due to the time passing since the unit was available I am, or rather the customer is, faced with 3 options:
    1. I fit a satellite board with replacements for the 'fried' components and jumper it to the damaged board
    2. Fit an aftermarket amp and crossover (my prefered method)
    3. Fit a crossover and sell the customer a suitable amp (another preferred method)

I also noticed that the mains lead IEC socket does not have an earth fitted, and if original it never has had - no solder or remnants of !!!

Just wondering if the fault which has occurred was common to these subs, as I have 2 myself which, bar an annual clean and service, have never faulted.
    In life there are no problems, only challenges but in my present situation I may have a problem

Just a guess, but rather than the cap failing, I'd suspect the solder on one of the cap terminals failed, and the resulting arcing and sparking caused the flames.

Well Mr. Disco, I have an SRS1500 board I would have been happy to sell you cheap. it needs to be repaired, but has not suffered any damage. I have the whole unit, but was not planning to repair it. By the time I toss a bunch of transistors at it and buy it a new woofer, it exceeds my value limit.

But then I noted you are in Scotland. A free Scotland won't include free shipping I fear. I imagine shipping that board would be very expensive. If there is inexpensive shipping, we can talk if you are interested.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I will have a talk with my customer over the weekend regarding board. It does seem like a sensible option and as I also own 2 of these 'antique' subs it would certainly be of interest to myself to keep as a spare. Shipping will be the downside. I have in the past shipped to and from the USA and it has always been an expensive exercise. It seems to depend on what you are shipping whether or not the cheaper option is to arrange from one side or the other.
      Fortunately, or not, a free Scotland remains a dream for many of my fellow countrymen (how to diplomatically remain on the fence )
      If you can PM a price for the board and an approximate shipping dimension I will have a look at some shipping options.

Joe.
      In life there are no problems, only challenges but in my present situation I may have a problem

Comment

I talk with a couple Scots on a social forum I haunt, and my ancestors are Scottish, so I have sympathies if not deep knowledge.

I'll PM with you to see if there is further interest. And I just bolted it back together the other day to clear some space. I know you don't probably want the entire rear panel. But my schematic shows the power transformer as dual primary, so might be of interest?
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've just fixed one of these, and now I am wondering what to do with it.
          It doesn't have a C17. The big cans are C9 and C11.
          The preamp and crossover are tailored to get the most out of this cabinet. They are critical. You won't be able to reproduce it with a passive crossover, so option 3 is out. Option 2 will only work if you loop out of the preamp, through the new amp and back in to the driver.
          I can help you fix it, but it is a strange design.

Comment

Does anyone have the Mackie SRS1500 Input board to sell.

450-270-00 PCB Input

Contains the XLR inputs and Outputs and gain ?

I think I have a faulty one, since my gain knob no longer has any effect on the subwoofer.

Thanks,

Comment

Probably just a damaged volume control. Replace the control, not the whole board.

Comment

Curious. Did you sell this SRS1500 board Enzo?

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                Just a guess, but rather than the cap failing, I'd suspect the solder on one of the cap terminals failed, and the resulting arcing and sparking caused the flames.

Well Mr. Disco, I have an SRS1500 board I would have been happy to sell you cheap. it needs to be repaired, but has not suffered any damage. I have the whole unit, but was not planning to repair it. By the time I toss a bunch of transistors at it and buy it a new woofer, it exceeds my value limit.

But then I noted you are in Scotland. A free Scotland won't include free shipping I fear. I imagine shipping that board would be very expensive. If there is inexpensive shipping, we can talk if you are interested.

Curious. Did you sell this SRS1500 board Enzo?

Comment

It still sits in my storage unit. At the moment it is the entire amp panel, so boards, transformer, AC wiring etc. I suppose we could just pull the board alone off it. That decision would affect shipping cost. As I said then, it is NOT in working order, but is repairable.

You should send me a PM if interested. With only one post, you might have to wait until you are "off probation" before you can PM anyone...I think that is how it works.

And for anyone else, I also have a SWA1501 amp assembly in similar condition.

Comment

Hmm, maybe we could set up some kind of "parts request" section or just have people post here looking for off stuff that is no longer available.

I have tons of parts/boards/cables etc. that I may never use, and I bet others like Enzo do also.

A way to keep stuff working and get rid of stuff.

Comment

We already have enough sections, IMO. We have the flea market section to sell or make available stuff. And anyone who wants something can just post "Where can I get..." in this section.

Or so it seems to me.

Comment

Okay, sorry.

Comment

Greetings. I have a Mackie SRS1500 that thumps once in a while (fairly often) after you turn it on. Nothing plugged into any input jacks. Any idea about what could be wrong with it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

That's a tricky one. Does it still do it with the volume down? Even so, there are plenty of potential failures that could do this. Try a can of freezer spray with a tube, and freeze a small area of the board at a time, listening for changes.

Comment

Working...
                            X