Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Android device sticky thread...

Member Emeritus Forever Steve A.'s Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 130/0
    Given: 77/0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Steve,

Your link in post #32 doesn't work for me. It says URL not found......
    Thanks! I corrected the post with this link...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...security&hl=en

I had deleted the "&hl=en" at the end thinking that it was unneeded... I guess not!

Steve

P.S. I tend to visit some of the seedier sites on the internet and am *always* getting those damned popups saying that my tablet is infected, even naming the tablet I am using to scare me... Oooh- I'm really scared!

I'm just trying to get rid of the pop-ups although I have a few security issues related to side-loading apps rather than going through the Play Store. So I installed Avast! a few weeks ago thinking it might help with the pop-ups (it hasn't.)

In any case although we haven't really needed AV apps for Android in the past that doesn't mean that we won't need them sometime in the future. The Mac OS is based on Unix (like Android) and it was immune from viruses for many years but I read about one awhile back...

FWIW I have the antivirus module toggled off in 360 Security...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down

More on Clean Master...

I've been trying out the various versions of Clean Master on my Samsung Tab 4 7.0 and anything before 5.0 is fairly primitive. I have decided to use version 5.2.0.1225 because it has a more modern interface and there is a big difference between the Junk Files found in the Standard and Advanced modes (163MB vs 395MB). In version 5.3.0 the difference was 318MB vs* 395MB which means that the Standard mode was a lot more aggressive (I like having a wider choice of options between Standard and Advanced.)

The subsequent versions through the last one I recommend (5.8.9.1672) got progressively more aggressive, with the Standard mode recommending 980MB and the Advanced mode recommending 1.82GB of files to be cleaned.

NOTE: All of these figures are for the tablet which was inadvertently cleaned earlier today with one subsequent mild cleaning by 360 Security. Caches may have increased a little bit since that time.

So why do I not recommend any version higher than 5.8.9.1672?* With version 5.9.0.1061 (released 12/10/2014) the whole user interface was all screwed up with Cheetah more interested in advertising additional products than serving their existing customers. Good luck finding Settings to customize the app - everywhere you click you are presented with more apps to download. FWIW version* 5.8.1.102 was only slightly smaller (961MB vs 1.82GB).

In any case I figured out how I inadvertently initiated the cleaning process- it's kinda hard to miss the CLEAN JUNK bar at the bottom of the screen...

Although I have not used Clean Master ver. 5.2.0.1225 long enough to actually recommend it I am fairly certain it will help with space management on my tablets. But definitely stay away from any version from 5.9.0.1061 and up- with that release the company turned to the dark side! (I guess those versions might be okay if you go with the default settings and don't care about saving any data files on your mobile device - especially on a smart phone - but I intentionally download files and save screenshots for my clipping archive.)

Here is a link to the page on Android Drawer with all of the versions of Clean Master. Note: Android will allow you to upgrade from an older version but will usually require you to uninstall the app to downgrade to an earlier version. So start with the oldest version and work your way up to newer ones...

http://www.androiddrawer.com/26103/d...boost-app-apk/

Here is the link at UpToDown:

http://clean-master-cleaner.en.uptod...download/92769

To avoid all of the ads on those websites here is the link to my Dropbox folder named Clean Master:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dsvhs9ufd...xGLh0VXya?dl=0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-31-22-23-55.png 
Views:	442 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	40445

Steve Ahola

P.S. I am still too scared to press the CLEAN JUNK bar at the bottom to see if I get a confirmation prompt on at least some of the versions. (I may wait until I do a factory restore on one of my tablets... with nothing of any importance to lose.)

P.P.S. The Dude, thanks for the recommendation! It was my fumble fingers that caused the deletion of 750MB of files (I had already uploaded 99% of the files I wanted to save to Dropbox but I did want to see exactly what CM intended to delete first.) BTW can you post which version you are using now?

Clean Master should save me a lot of time searching for files with ES File Explorer version 3.2.3.1. Yes, while some people are connoisseurs of vintage wines I am a connoisseur of vintage apps and programs...

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-02-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1,694/2
    Given: 1,219/1
    I'm using version 5.13.8 on my phone (Galaxy Note 4). Not sure what version on my tablets (they're at home). I can certainly look when I get home. I just let the Play Store update my devices, so I don't really keep track of versions. I will say that I did notice that starting back a few updates ago, the ads got more intrusive. Since it's not an app that I use constantly and just for occasional cleaning, the ads don't bother me much. On a side note, all of my devices have SD memory cards installed, so I keep any important files on the cards. I don't believe Clean Master messes with the card- at least I've never had it delete anything from them. SD cards are cheap. If your device dies, you still have your files. Just stick the card in the next device. You can easily transfer files- just stick the card in the device you are transferring to.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm using version 5.13.8 on my phone (Galaxy Note 4). Not sure what version on my tablets (they're at home). I can certainly look when I get home. I just let the Play Store update my devices, so I don't really keep track of versions.
    On my PC I learned to avoid automatic updates... why screw with it once a program was working well with my hardware and OS? I would look into new features and check reviews before downloading the new version of anything.

I practice the same philosophy with my unrooted Samsung tablets first released in July 2013 and May 2014 as well as with my rooted Sero 7 Pro tablet released in May 2013 (the DOPA ROM turned it into a first-generation Nexus 7 super-powered clone with microSD and miniHDMI slots.) They all run KitKat so why screw around with updates that are mainly developed to accommodate the features of Android 5 and 6 devices?

Consider the various computers in your house like your DVD/BD player or microwave. Do their mfg's insist on upgrading the software whether you want to or not? It's an appliance and I would not bother with an update unless there was a serious bug that needed to be corrected. So I view my 2009 HP desktop and 2013/14 tablets as being appliances that are working just fine, thank you.

I will say that I did notice that starting back a few updates ago, the ads got more intrusive. Since it's not an app that I use constantly and just for occasional cleaning, the ads don't bother me much.
    While the ads were annoying the problem I have with the versions after 5.8.9 is the difficulty in controlling such a powerful weapon compared to the earlier versions. If you have no need to save anything on your mobile device besides your apps (and whatever cache is absolutely necessary for them to run as you want them to) I believe that you can edit and save the default settings and just hit the CLEAN JUNK button.

On a side note, all of my devices have SD memory cards installed, so I keep any important files on the cards. I don't believe Clean Master messes with the card- at least I've never had it delete anything from them. SD cards are cheap. If your device dies, you still have your files. Just stick the card in the next device. You can easily transfer files- just stick the card in the device you are transferring to.
    If only it was that easy on an unrooted device running Android 4.4 (KitKat)... *sigh*

In their great wisdom with version 4.4 Google decided to prevent 3rd party developers from writing apps that can write to the ExtSD card. It was a *big* gimme to the mobile device vendors... with earlier versions of Android customers could buy the cheaper model with less storage space and pop in an SD card to get an extra 32GB or 64GB (depending on the model.)

My favorite tablet for composing text is the Samsung Tab 4 7.0 because it has an expanded clipboard which will hold 20 entries, 10 of which can be locked for keyboard macros or boilerplate text (I use several for the BBS code used here at MEF.) Unfortunately it runs KitKat and I haven't gotten the nerve up to root it*** so I can only use the crappy My Files app from Samsung to copy anything to the extSD card.
    [Note to self: use ES File Explorer to zip up a whole sh*tload of files to copy to a 32GB card, using Dropbox only when I want to be able to share files between my various devices or with other people.]

*** All of the root tutorials refer to the older Samsung builds and I got tricked into accepting the last update by just clicking on "Check for updates", wondering if there was a new update available. Once clicked my tablet proceeded to download it and even after rebooting my tablet it insisted on installing the update. Damn you, Samsung!

Steve

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but (at least on my devices) if you don't like an update, you can go to the application manager and uninstall it. It will leave the previous version there unless you uninstall again and remove it completely. I just take the updates and remove them if it screws something up. Often there are new features that I like- often not.

Also, even though some apps won't let you write directly to the SD card, you can go to "My Files" (sort of a "Windows Explorer") and move the files manually.

Edit: Saying that, everyone uses their device differently, so whatever works for you. I certainly wouldn't think of telling someone how they should run their machine. That's one of the beauties of Android. There are plenty of options. You're not locked into Apples OS. On the other hand, because of the host of available options, it's easier to 'f' something up. I guess if a person isn't willing to take the time to learn the device or just plain isn't very tech savvy, the IPad/IPhone is probably a better option. I love my android toys.

Last edited by The Dude; 09-02-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but (at least on my devices) if you don't like an update, you can go to the application manager and uninstall it. It will leave the previous version there unless you uninstall again and remove it completely. I just take the updates and remove them if it screws something up. Often there are new features that I like- often not.
    I have no idea what devices and what versions of Android you are using but with my unrooted devices mentioned previously I can upgrade to newer versions but not downgrade to earlier ones unless I uninstall the app and reinstall the earlier version. For the stock programs that come with the device the application manager in Settings will often give me an "Uninstall Updates" option which will uninstall *all* of the updates, restoring the factory-installed version.

However I seem to recall that with one of my older rooted devices I was able to downgrade app versions as well as upgrade them using Titanium Backup Pro or possibly 3C Toolbox Pro (back when it was called Android Toolbox, I think.)

Also, even though some apps won't let you write directly to the SD card, you can go to "My Files" (sort of a "Windows Explorer") and move the files manually.
    I mentioned that in an earlier post but the interface is rather clunky. I have intentionally boycotted the app because it lacks any help features to explain what the damn buttons do! Here's what the Samsung Tab 4 "My Files" initial screen looks like...

As I said earlier zipping up files to move or copy to the extSD card makes more sense than uploading them to Dropbox which can be iffy. One thing: My Files only offers the option to MOVE files not COPY them. Perhaps to discourage the sharing of MP3 or other media files...?

In any case since I have ES File Explorer 3.2.3.1 installed I can use the Share button and select "ES Save to..." which will COPY the selection leaving the original in place. Fooled ya, Samsung!

I'm figuring out how to best use My Files with ESFX to offload content to extSD cards, at least until someone posts instructions for rooting my Tab 4 7.0 build. One slight problem... I bought my favorite tablet used and it came in an unmarked hard protective case which I have not yet figured out how to open.

EDIT I found a YouTube video showing how to remove it.

https://youtu.be/MvjQFvSRKb4

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-01-18-36-08.png 
Views:	431 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	40447

Steve Ahola

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-02-2016 at 03:24 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    SOLID EXPLORER is a more graphical file explorer than ES File Explorer which has really gone over to the Dark Side since August 2015, more interested in selling clicks than serving its customers. With its two side-by-side panels it reminds me a little bit of Norton Commander from the late 80's. Until I figure out what all of those darned icons do I think I'm going to stick with ESFX 3.2.3.1!

NOTE: Version 1.6.5 is the last free version without ads. You can find it and all of the earlier versions at the Android Drawer website. (It is now available as the ad-supported Solid Explorer Classic at the Play Store along with the 14-day trial of Solid Explorer File Explorer which can be unlocked for $1.99.)

Solid Explorer File Manager APK Download - AndroidDrawer.com

Here is the Solid Explorer Quick Start slide show converted to an Evernote document (I created it to help me learn how to use the app!):

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s300/...99e13370ccd5f7

Steve Ahola

P.S. For comparison here is what the ES File Explorer 3.2.3.1 window looks like:

Here is a link to the versions available at the Android Drawer website (be sure to avoid any version starting with 4.0.0):

ES File Explorer File Manager APK Download - AndroidDrawer.com

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-03-21-52-50.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	40486

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-03-22-11-24.png 
Views:	393 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	40487

Thumbs Up/Down
    Reply #2. Actually when I upgrade an app through the Play Store I think that I can revert back to the earlier version I had been using if I do it right away. However I usually sideload the APK files rather than go through the Play Store which is one of the reasons I switched from iOS in 2009.

I do think it is really cool how the Play Store allows my premium apps to be installed on any mobile device that is registered with my gmail account... That's a great strategy to keep people from sharing premium apps with their friends or posting them on the internet because I sure as hell am not going to give my gmail password to any Tom, Dick or Harry!

Borland had a great approach to copy protection back in the 80's: they figured that software was like a physical copy of a book which could be shared with friends but only read by one person at a time. So they didn't resort to drastic measures like dBase which actually burnt a small hole in the 5.25" floppy disk to prove its authenticity:

Additionally, Borland was known for its practical and creative approach towards software piracy and intellectual property (IP), introducing its "Borland no-nonsense license agreement". This allowed the developer/user to utilize its products "just like a book"; he or she was allowed to make multiple copies of a program, as long as only one copy was in use at any point in time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borland

Steve Ahola

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-04-2016 at 06:33 AM.

"Thermionic Apocalypse" -JT nickb's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 944/1
    Given: 693/1
    Well, I did it, my Tab4 is now rooted. Now I'll have a purge of all the unwanted bloatware, heh, heh, heh...

I used these steps

Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    Well, I did it, my Tab4 is now rooted. Now I'll have a purge of all the unwanted bloatware, heh, heh, heh...

I used these steps
    Cool! I got tricked*** into getting the latest upgrade (?) to Build #...APA1 so I wonder if it will work for me, too.

Being able to write freely to the extSD is what I care about most. Damn Google and their KitKat giveaway to the vendors! Why should a customer pay extra for more storage space in their new phone or tablet if they can just plug in a microSD card to get as much storage space as they need? While the Tab 4 7.0 has 1.5GB RAM it only has 8GB storage space....

Steve A.

*** I was just wondering if there was a newer version available so I clicked on "check for upgrades" and it dl'd it without asking and without wiping out all my data there was no way for me avoid having it installed...

Thumbs Up/Down

Saving webpages to MHT files rather than PDFs...

I have been archiving webpages as PDF files since I first bought the Pro version of Adobe Acrobat in 1999. The conversion can be a bit touchy and the file sizes quite large. Back then if you wanted to save a webpage as in HTML format you had to save all of the associated files as well such as any other HTML files and graphics. The MHT format which saves a webpage in a single file has been around for many years but I never found it very easy to use, at least until I learned about UC Browser for Android and its Save Page add-on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ile.intl&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pagesave&hl=en

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

Once MHT file has been saved you need to open it...

Steve Ahola

P.S. The UC Browser also has a Web to PDF which used to work great in the past but I have not been able to get it to work recently.

Attachment 40675
    Attachment 40676
    Attachment 40677
    Attachment 40678
    Attachment 40679
    Attachment 40680

Name:	Screenshot_2016-09-17-01-49-40.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	377.0 KB 
ID:	40681

Thumbs Up/Down

All-In-One Toolbox

I installed All-In-One Toolbox to make sure that the APK files load but have done no cleaning with it yet.*** There are many different versions on Android Drawer but the ones higher than All-In-One Toolbox_5.1.4.2(67).apk are infected per Google. I would not recommend the versions on or after 6.0 because they seem to be overly aggressive and apparently cater to those users who want a one click cleaner. In any case the 5.0 to 5.1.4.2 versions look like they might be good alternatives to apps like Clean Sweep.

Steve Ahola

*** I will test how it works on one of my rooted devices after performing a full nandroid backup in case I don't like the results. If a brave soul here wants to try out All-In-One Toolbox before then go for it!

● Reviews:

All-In-One Toolbox keeps your phone up to speed [App Review] | AndroidGuys

A huge toolbox for your Android smartphone - TechRepublic

All-In-One Toolbox (Cleaner) Review | Android App | Playboard

All-In-One Toolbox (Cleaner) - 29 tools to speed up your Android - AndroidTapp

● Link to latest version (yuck!) at Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.toolbox.full

● Sites with APK downloads of older versions (yeah!):

All-In-One Toolbox (29 Tools) APK Download - AndroidDrawer.com

All-In-One Toolbox v6.2 for Android - Download

● DROPBOX: Zipfile with 8 versions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvpcmwmyk7...olbox.zip?dl=0

● DROPBOX folder of various versions:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zqcgi991...U4JhwCBba?dl=0

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-29-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I posted this in another thread, but am reposting here. It's more likely to be seen by those who might want to know about it.

It's a mixed bag. I sometimes use it and sometimes not, depending on the device and how I plan to use the forum. There are some things better and some worse. You'll have to try it, but FYI, at the bottom of this page, there is a box that says "vB4 Default Style". If you click the arrow next to it, there is an option for "Default Mobile Style". If you are using a tablet or phone, this might be useful to you.

Thumbs Up/Down

Instapaper for archiving articles on websites

I just learned about Instapaper for archiving articles on websites. It has been around for years as a program and an app but it certainly does the job well, stripping out all of the ads and extraneous listings and delivering just the article and accompanying pictures.

It works great as an intermediary between the webpage and Evernote, stripping out all of the extraneous bullshit so I don't have to do that myself manually.

https://www.instapaper.com/android

Steve Ahola

EDIT 11/15: I forgot to mention that Instapaper is great for reading articles without all of the distracting BS on most news sites (a concern brought up in previous posts here.) Not just the ads but a typical page on a news site might have dozens of hot links to other articles or videos, all of which take up bandwidth.

I like how it is almost like reading a printed article in a newspaper or magazine.

Last edited by Steve A.; 11-15-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I posted this in another thread, but am reposting here. It's more likely to be seen by those who might want to know about it.

It's a mixed bag. I sometimes use it and sometimes not, depending on the device and how I plan to use the forum. There are some things better and some worse. You'll have to try it, but FYI, at the bottom of this page, there is a box that says "vB4 Default Style". If you click the arrow next to it, there is an option for "Default Mobile Style". If you are using a tablet or phone, this might be useful to you.
    Pretty slick... thanks for the heads up!

Steve

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 176/1
    Given: 218/1
    Where can I buy mp3s for android? I was thinking of getting an I-tunes card as a stocking stuffer for my wife, but I'm not sure it would work for her android phone. Where else can you buy mp3s?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartn149 View Post
    Where can I buy mp3s for android? I was thinking of getting an I-tunes card as a stocking stuffer for my wife, but I'm not sure it would work for her android phone. Where else can you buy mp3s?
    The more I looked into this the more confused I got, mainly because of the issue of Digital Rights Management (DRM.) I don't usually buy MP3s- I rip them from CDs I already bought so that I can copy them freely with no restrictions.*****

Here's one suggestion: buy a 1 year subscription to Amazon Prime for $99.99 which includes the free streaming and off-line listening of two million songs...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/promotions/PrimeMusic

... not to mention other benefits like free 2 day shipping and thousands of free movies and TV shows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/getstarted

Or you could give her an Amazon gift card to allow her to choose MP3s from their entire library:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Amazon.../dp/BT00DC6QU4

Steve Ahola

P.S. The Google Play Store also sells MP3s.

***** Technically speaking I rip my CDs to lossless FLAC files which are roughly 58% the size of WAV files and then convert the FLAC files into MP3 files as needed for my various portable players.

A person could convert their entire CD library into FLAC files and then sell the discs with absolutely no loss of fidelity. If a disc was needed to feed a CD player it could be burned to CDR media.

Here's what I started writing before I gave up:

MP3s are MP3s. If you still have a desktop or laptop computer you should be able to access iTunes to buy MP3s. I haven't used iTunes for years so I'm not sure if they have DRM protection to keep you from copying the MP3s freely...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 176/1
    Given: 218/1
    P.S. The Google Play Store also sells MP3s.
    Oh yeah! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I really never have downloaded mp3s. Everything on my player is from cd.

Thanks!

Thumbs Up/Down

Cool Reader for Android version 3.1.2-92

I used to use Cool Reader with my first Android tabet which was a rooted Nook Color e-reader running CyanogenMod back in 2011. It was great how you could fine-tune the entire user interface to your liking. However it was discontinued a few years ago because it wasn't that stable with the newer versions of Android and replaced with the less-customizable Cool Reader GL app.

I've been downloading PDF and ePub files of the two local newspapers to which I subscribe for off-line reading. It is hard to beat Adobe Reader version 11.7.1 for the PDF files but I searched high and low for a good ePub reader. Cool Reader GL lacked all of the controls of the original app which unfortunately was very prone to crashing on my Samsung Tab 4 7.0 running KitKat, usually after just a minute or two.

So I dl'd all of the older versions of Cool Reader from the UpToDown site and have been installing them one at a time in order of release date. (With an unrooted Android device I have not been able to downgrade to earlier versions without having to first uninstall the app which usually clears all of my preferences. Hence my stepping through releases for the magic version that works best for me.)

In any case I finally found one version of Cool Reader which hasn't crashed yet (knock on wood!)... Ver 3.1.2-92

Here is a link to the APK (you need to configure default Android settings to "sideload" apps which means not installing them from the Google Play or Amazon stores.)

https://cool-reader.en.uptodown.com/...ownload/264151

Steve Ahola

P.S. I had cancelled one of the local papers because its on-line web interface had changed to HTML 5 (whatever that means!) which did not work well on my mobile devices. I had been able to hack my custom URL to access the older interface for about 8 months but that finally stopped working.

I did resubscribe when they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... $19.99 a year including delivery on Sundays*** and they threw in a one year digital access subscription to the Washington Post for free.

In any case while the on-line HTML 5 mobile interface sucks I download the PDF and ePub versions of the paper which work great with Adobe Reader and Cool Reader.

P.P.S. The other local paper I get is the SF Chronicle and they, too, changed their on-line interface earlier this year. I had considered cancelling them, too, mainly because their new interface makes it a real pain to read the comics... but it works great if I download the PDF.

For articles the ePub works well because you don't have to skip ahead to Page 7 to read the rest of the article as you do with the PDF version which is an exact replica of the printed newspaper.

*** The local papers often offer great deals for 24/7 digital access plus delivery on Sundays which can be less than the price for just the digital access. I suspect that the reason is that the Sunday delivery boosts their certified circulation figures which presumably increases their advertising rates. For newspaper junkies it never hurts to ask... and they usually offer you the best deals after you have cancelled!

Last edited by Steve A.; 12-07-2016 at 02:27 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

A really cool way to set the time and date!

A really cool way to set the time and date! I just discovered this in the Android app for Android (version 6.0.2) The vertical slider sets the date very quickly while the circle fine-tunes the time.

On a similar note is there a good calendar app for Android that someone would recommend? Google Calendar is a real tyrant... whenever it sees a date in, say, the Android email app, it tries to create a calendar event. No sirree, Bob, if I want to add a calendar event I will do it myself manually. (And stop reading my email! ;-) )

Name:	Screenshot_2017-01-13-22-24-25.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	42055

Steve Ahola

P.S. On the PC I use Lightning, which is an add-on calendar module for my email client, Mozilla Thunderbird. (No Outlook for me — Microsoft is a real tyrant, too!)

Thumbs Up/Down

FIND MY MOBILE app

I had left my first Samsung Tab 4 7.0 tablet in a Fry's shopping cart 4 times. When arriving home I noticed that it was missing and went back to Fry's to retrieve it (usually around 10:30PM after store had closed.) The first 3 times it was still there... whew! Unfortunately the last time that happened (around 5:00PM) when I returned it was gone. Bummer.

The tablet itself needed a new battery so that wasn't a really big loss but I had disabled the screen lock on the wi-fi only tablet for my convenience. So anyone could turn it on and have access to most of my accounts for which Google had stored and would automatically use my password. Yikes!

So I had to go and reset ALL of my website passwords... Whatta f*cking hassle! ***

Someone told me that their device had a "FIND MY MOBILE" app which sounded great. It turns out that my Samsung tablet had that app but I never noticed it under SETTINGS which if activated would have allowed me to locate the tablet as determined by Wi-Fi (not very precise) and remotely lock and/or delete all of the data.

Like closing the barn door after the cows got out, I have now turned on that feature on my other Samsung tablets.

https://findmymobile.samsung.com

Steve A.

*** As for using asterisks in cuss words I do that so that I can write as I speak (I am very uncultured!) without actually rubbing it in someone's face. I normally refrain from using those words around people who could be offended or corrupted but sometimes they just slip out.

"F*cking sh*t!" was my most frequent cuss phrase for many years but has now been replaced by "B*tch!!! F*ck you, man!" whenever I knock something over or stub my toe.

Last edited by Steve A.; 03-05-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I disagree with Khan's assessment, also, but I think it depends largely on how you use your device. It's my understanding that when you use an app, much of it's info stays in memory even after you close the app so that next time you open it, it opens faster. If you use that particular app often, that's probably a good thing. If you're like me (a casual user), probably not. That app, which is "semi-open" is using memory and storage, checking for notifications, etc., slowing the device down. [from September 2016]
    Android handles RAM quite differently than Windows. When you close an app it is closed but there are many settings that allow it to use resources even when it has not been run that session (like those damned notifications you mentioned!***) With some apps you really can't turn off the drain on resources but with a rooted device 3C Toolbox Pro allows you to "crystallize" an app so it should be completely inactive until you — or another app or process — create a demand for it to run. You can also completely disable the app so that it is still installed but not active.

With my unrooted Samsung tablet I will use 3C Toolbox Pro to back up my installed apps and archive them on Dropbox. If I decide to uninstall them I will be able to "sideload" the archived APK file later (eat yer heart out, you iOS junkies out there!)

BTW to make apps load faster, etc., many of them use a cache which does use available storage space reducing what is available as RAM to run the device which can slow it down. For many apps (like Dropbox) there is no way to turn off the cache but there is a button to clear the cache. For some apps (like UC Browser) there is no button to clear the cache but if you find its location you can delete it manually.

Windows is so damned complicated with its Registry and hidden or protected files while Android is so much simpler, and with a rooted device there are no protected files... so you can screw them up royally! But with an alternate recovery like CWM or TWRP you can make a full backup of your device even if you don't root it (at least I think so...)

Steve A.

*** Another similar drain on resources involves data syncing. Turn off all of the automatic syncing that you don't need. (The default seems to be that data sync is turned on for all apps which can be a big drain on your bandwidth as well as system resources.)

Thumbs Up/Down

My Samsung Tab 4 7.0

I love my circa 2014 Samsung Tab 4 7.0 tablet (AKA "SM-T230NU") because it has some special features listed below*** but my big gripe has always been that it has only 8GB of internal storage space; with the KitKat restriction of not being able to write freely to the external SD card the available storage space will drop too low to operate properly (I will often get error messages referencing that when trying to install new programs at the Play Store.)

One thing that I had not really noticed in their Application Manager is the option for many apps to move some of the internal storage space for data and/or the application itself to the external SD card. After doing that for all of the supported apps the maximum available RAM has doubled from ~750MB to 1.5+GB (with many downloaded files and running apps that figure could drop by 300MB which used to bring it down into the "Danger Zone" under 450-500MB.)

I have posted before about the various tactics I use to manage the storage space used by all of the files I download or create such as uploading them to the Cloud (mainly Dropbox) and clearing caches every few days. While most people just view interesting content that they find on the internet, being a "born collector" (the polite term for being anally retentive) I have always saved clippings from newspapers and magazines, and now do that digitally.

BTW one of the first tricks I mentioned in this thread involved finding and deleting a file or folder named ".thumbnails" — if it was a file replace it with a folder with the same name, if it was a folder replace it with a file. For some reason that would fool Android into not saving an ever-increasing collection of thumbnails. (I suspect that Android does not allow a file and folder to have the same name in a particular location.)

*** I have several different Android tablets but only the Tab 4 7.0 works well for me for browsing and saving content. Here are features I have found to be necessary:

● While Android tablets might use only "soft" buttons which are a part of the display screen most Samsung devices have 3 permanent button outside of the display area, one which is a physical button to return you to the Home screen along with software buttons to go back and to display all of the open apps.

On my other non-Samsung devices the lack of permanent buttons can reduce the functionality of many apps.

● Many Samsung devices have an expanded clipboard but I have found the one in the Tab 4 7.0 to work the best for me. Rather than having just one Clipboard entry inserted by clicking on a Paste button the SM-T230NU has 20 entries inserted by using the special Clipboard button on the Samsung keyboard, 10 of which can be stored permanently and used as keyboard macros to insert common phrases or boilerplate text (many of mine are for the BBS codes I use frequently here at MEF.)

On my non-Samsung tablets I can use apps like Clip Stack which is not quite as easy to use as the Samsung expanded clipboard but there is no limit to the number of entries you can save, and with the option to store them permanently.

https://androidcommunity.com/clip-st...clip-20150310/

Without an expanded clipboard entry I could copy just one URL or text selection and then switch to Evernote to paste it into a document before returning to my browser to copy the next one. Whadda hassle!

Steve A.

EDIT: One other use for the expanded clipboard... the Samsung keyboard lacks the em-dash ( — ) so I use one of the 10 permanent entries to insert it into text. Question: does Android support special key combinations to insert upper ASCII characters like Windows does? My Samsung Tab A 8.0 tablet has a CTRL key but I haven't looked into it yet...

Last edited by Steve A.; 03-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Cool tablet!

I've been raving about my circa 2014 Samsung Tab 4 7.0 tablets for several years now but just ran across another oldie but goodie that is pretty slick: the LG G Pad 8.3 VK810 first sold in late 2013. It was deemed a Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) killer with the same 1920x1200 resolution, a 1.5 (or 1.7) ghz quad processor but with a larger 8.3" display (w/ Corning Gorilla Glass just like the Nexus) and a micro SD slot which the Nexus lacks.

I got this tablet for a very specific reason: to do HD 1920x1200 screen captures of music song books on SCRIBD. I *had* been using my Tab 4 7.0 to do this but with the lower resolution (1280x800) the printouts were not very legible- you could almost read the lyrics and chord symbols but forget about reading the actual sheet music.

With 2GB RAM (vs 1.5GB for the Samsung) and a faster processor (1.5ghz vs 1.2ghz) it is much snappier than the Tab 4... I can do 20 or more screen captures per minute compared to maybe 4 or 5 for the Samsung. Added bonus: like the Tab 4 it has an expanded clipboard (LG calls it the Clip Tray with 20 slots some of which can be saved permanently as keyboard macros.)

The G Pad 8.3 comes in 3 versions... the VK810 was sold by Verizon for $199 with a contract ($299 w/o) so there are a LOT of them out there often selling used for under $75. It is easy to hold the G Pad w/ or w/o a cover... the 8" Samsungs I've seen tend to be a bit wider. The Tab 4 7.0 has a narrow bezel so it is very hard to use when holding it w/o a case, not to mention the hypersensivity of the keyboard: you don't even have to touch the screen for your keystrokes to be registered! My theory was that it was designed for women with long fingernails... There is a 3rd party app that allows you to adjust the sensitivity:

Samsung Touch Screen Booster.zip

But there are still many tasks that I like to use the Tab 4 7.0 for... it is great for general browsing and especially for browsing news sites and archiving articles with Instapaper and Evernote. It is small enough to fit in my pants pocket and perfect for typing up posts for MEF and FB, or notes for future reference (who needs pencil and paper when you have one of THESE?!?)

Steve A.

P.S. As for the HD 1920x1200 screen resolution on the LG G Pad 8.3 I am now tempted by the 2,560x1,600-pixel resolution (WQXGA) on some tablets*** for even better sheet music screen captures.

*** Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 or the Google Nexus 10 from 2012 (also made by Samsung.)

Last edited by Steve A.; 06-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    P.S. As for the HD 1920x1200 screen resolution on the LG G Pad 8.3 I am now tempted by the 2,560x1,600-pixel resolution (WQXGA) on some tablets*** for even better sheet music screen captures.

*** Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 or the Google Nexus 10 from 2012 (also made by Samsung.)
    I can vouch for the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) -- I "won" one for filling out an evaluation of something or other. It's definitely a nice display, but too large/heavy for convenient holding with one hand. The pen capability is interesting, but I haven't found it very practical for anything I want to do...

Murky Mark, Minister of Musical Mischief
    http://www.harmonicappliances.com/

Thumbs Up/Down

"Default Mobile Style" for MEF

I forget who mentioned this display option awhile back but it can be very useful when creating or editing a post while using a tablet or smartphone. I had looked into it briefly at the time but found the normal interface/display much better for navigating the site. I didn't realize how easy it was to switch back and forth between the two.

On the normal display you will find this box at the lower left corner of the MEF window....

To return to the normal display you click on "log out | FULL SITE | top" at the bottom of the window...

A big thanks to whoever brought this to our attention!

Steve A.

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-15-13-48-06_20170915135103483.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	44924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-15-13-48-06.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	44925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-15-14-08-01.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	44926

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lavelle View Post
    I can vouch for the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) -- I "won" one for filling out an evaluation of something or other. It's definitely a nice display, but too large/heavy for convenient holding with one hand. The pen capability is interesting, but I haven't found it very practical for anything I want to do...
    I have been using the Nexus 10 strictly for watching videos. I originally got it for making 2560×1600 screen captures of pages from songbooks on SCRIBD but unfortunately learned that the images available on their site are not much better than 1024×600.

However I found that they are GREAT for watching movies and TV shows... if you have a stand that can support their weight!

I did find another use for them. I am creating my own fakebook with the songs I am learning for a cover band and while secured to a heavy duty music stand*** with a bungee cord it sure beats the binder of 4×6 index cards I used to use back in 2009.

Steve A.

*** Image and link to follow

Last edited by Steve A.; 09-18-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Another Google conspiracy!

Damn you again, Mr. Google! Your Chrome Browser for Android no longer lists a local company or store's phone number when you Google them! And when you click on their name in their listing for more information you get a bunch of irrelevant bullsh*t like pictures of their parking lot from Google Maps. I just want the goddamned phone number, you bastard! (If you are lucky they might have a Yelp review which usually lists their phone number prominently.)

Since Google gets paid by the click there is an ulterior motive behind this: they do not want you to quickly find the phone number and call the store since they make more money if you click away and perhaps decide to buy the item on Amazon.

However there is a simple workaround to undermine Google's nefarious plot to give them even more money and power: from the "hamburger menu" (3 horizontal lines or dots) to the right of the search bar click on the checkbox for "Request desktop site"... that will bring up a Google search page similar to the one that you would get on a PC, which for me today had a sidebar on the right with all of the basic information, including their phone number!

[Rant mode:OFF]

Steve A.

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-10-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

RAM Monitor in Samsung Tab 4 7.0

I've been using Tab 4 7.0 (aka SM-T230NU) tablets for over 3 years but only recently noticed that the Application Manager under Settings includes a RAM monitor to show you how much RAM is currently available and how much each app or process is using. This information can be very helpful in fine tuning your basic setup as well as telling you when its time to reboot (Android calls it "restart") — a process that takes less than 30 seconds but you do have to spend time reloading the apps you plan to use.

I hadn't realized the big difference between available RAM and available disk space, focusing only on the latter since I never had any idea how much RAM was available. (I guess I should have read the manual!)

Note: In Android you need sufficient available internal disk space to run apps smoothly, if at all. The Tab 4 7.0 has only 1.5GB total internal disk space and the OS takes around 300MB of that. When the available disk space drops below ~400MB things get a bit sluggish so it is important for me to regularly prune files downloaded or created by me, usually by uploading them to Dropbox which transfers them to my desktop PC where I can archive them if I want to. (Yes, I am a digital pack rat — or hoarder, to be blunt about it.)

Here are some screenshots showing how much RAM was available running a sh*tload of apps, right after restarting with only Settings running, and right after loading and running Evernote.

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

BEFORE REBOOT (446MB):

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

AFTER REBOOT w/ Settings running (653MB):

]

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

AFTER REBOOT w/ Settings and Evernote running (509MB):

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

After learning more about available RAM I have a good reason to go ahead and root at least one of my two Tab 4 7.0 tablets: to be able to uninstall or "freeze" some of the "system" apps that cannot otherwise be turned off or removed. ("System" apps are not just the ones needed for the OS but also include bloatware apps like YouTube or Netflix which can be deleted on other tablets. You do need to be very careful about what you delete on a rooted device.)

"Swiss Army Knife" utility apps like 3C Toolbox allow you to "freeze" apps that use a lot of RAM even when you aren't running them. By freezing apps they use no available resources besides disk space until you (or another app or service) request them to run. (An unrooted device doesn't allow you to freeze apps along with many other operations available only on a rooted device.)

Another reason for me to root my Tab 4 7.0 is that I can make a complete backup which can be restored on a different Tab 4 7.0 if I manage to lose another one or just want to clone a new one. (Two's company, three's a party!)

Steve A.

P.S. I have no idea how many other Android devices have RAM monitors under Settings | Application Manager. BTW the RAM monitor shows the available RAM after switching from the app you were using to Settings and it usually goes up a bit for a few seconds — so it only gives you a rough idea how much RAM was available while running a particular app.

In any case it seems like my tablet does run better after rebooting it rather than just closing unneeded apps when the available RAM gets low (under 300MB for mine.)

P.P.S. I've reading up on this topic and the main point seems to be to not treat RAM in Android as you do in Windows (where the more available RAM, the better.) It is good that the Android OS is using RAM — it is not just wasted overhead as I had thought earlier today. Android (built on a Linux kernel!) is a much more efficient manager of resources than Windows.

I found an interesting article from Que Publishing on Managing Memory on Your Galaxy Tab 4 linked here:

Managing Memory on Your Galaxy Tab 4 | Managing Memory on Your Galaxy Tab 4 | Que

I converted the article to a PDF file which I attached below...

Managing Memory on Your Galaxy Tab 4.Que.pdf

NOTE: Funny how the link and the attachment displayed above look so similar, at least on my tablet. Nasty people could use that similarity to trick users to download malware. Perhaps future updates of the BBS software used here could use a different color for attachments than the blue traditionally used for links.

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

P.P.S. Reading up on Android's use of RAM it looks like the experts usually say leave it alone and that Android versions 4.0 and up handle RAM very well, swapping it to the internal SD card as needed.

I see things differently. My biggest complaint about having too few resources available (either RAM or internal SD card space) is this: while composing a post here at MEF or Facebook I'll decide to research a particular item and when I return the post I was composing is gone because the page had been swapped to disk. ***

When something like that happens it tells me that I have too many apps or browser tabs open which overtax the fairly limited resources on the Samsung tablet that I love to use. For starters I need to close some of the apps and browser tabs, and if that doesn't help much then I need to restart the tablet.

Yes, Android 4.0+ handles RAM much better than Windows but in swapping some browser panes to the internal SD card the unsaved activities on that page are lost. The tabs come back just fine but they are sometimes refreshed, just like hitting the Refresh icon on the URL bar.

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

*** There is a very simple workaround for this issue, especially on my Tab 4 7.0 with its expanded clipboard: I need to save the contents in the edit window before leaving the MEF or TB page. With up to 19 free slots on the expanded clipboard I can copy many links and quotes and then add them to what I had already written in a text editor that recognizes the expanded clipboard (not all apps do, darn it!* * )

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

P.P.P.S. One other really cool thing about the expanded clipboard on my Samsung tablet: the contents are persistent and are still there after rebooting ("restarting") - too bad that the contents of the Windows clipboard are not persistent, or that the Windows OS doesn't support an expanded clipboard with 20 slots. One other problem with the Windows clipboard: I can copy text and it is usually still there after copying and pasting files in Windows Explorer, suggesting that there are at least 2 independent clipboards in Windows — but sometimes the text clipboard is cleared when copying and pasting files. Why is that?!?

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

I like the new delimiter line I just created! I got tired of looking at the old one I'd been using:

%=%=%=%=%=%=%

Bor-r-r-r-r-i-i-i-n-n-n-g-g-g!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-06-10-33-57_20171006113518581.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	45200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-06-10-36-54_20171006113757049.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	45201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-06-10-59-44_20171006113948323.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	45202  

Last edited by Steve A.; 10-10-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Clearing default application settings in Android

This has been one of the most confusing dialog boxes in Android, at least for me...

It pops up when you click on a file to run it and select ALWAYS instead of JUST ONCE in the following dialog box — if you select the first option the highlighted app becomes the Default Application which will run whenever you click on that file type...

What was so confusing to me was that there are Settings menus in each app as well as the Settings menu for your device. So in the second picture it could be referring to the Settings menu for the selected app (Gallery), the app you were using which brought up the dialog box or the Android device you were using.

After 5+ years I finally figured out that the dialog box was referring to the Settings menu for your device. With 20-20 tunnel vision Google — who designed the Android operating system by customizing the basic Linux kernal — just assumed that we would know that the dialog box was referring to the Settings menu for the operating system of your Android device. Doh!

I am posting this here just in case someone else has been confused as how to clear default applications in Android 4.4.2 KitKat.

Steve A.

Name:	Screenshot_2017-12-27-04-16-56.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	46278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-12-27-04-25-58_20171227043100017.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	46279

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hey Steve, have you have much in the way of problems with the GPS lock, particularly when the WiFi is off? On all the Android devices I've ever had it sometimes takes 15-30 mins or so to lock, and often takes several restarts to get there.

Thumbs Up/Down

Question on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Android tablet (circa 2015)

Question on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Android tablet (first sold in? 2015)

Any owners of this tablet out there? I've been looking for information on the tablet's expanded Clipboard feature which stores the past 20 items copied to the clipboard. (Once all 20 slots are used the oldest clip is deleted when you add a new one.)

Some of the Samsung tablets allow you to "lock" up to 10 of the items until you manually delete them (when you long-click on the item you get the option to either delete it or lock it.) Most of the tablets only give you the option to delete the item. Of the current Samsung tablets I checked last night only the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7 allows you to lock up to 10 clips. And my circa 2014 Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 does, too, although with it running KitKat 4.4.2 it doesn't handle modern websites and apps very well.

The expanded clipboard is great for saving multiple URLs and text copied from webpages for your own documents. At least the older versions of Windows only allowed a single item to be stored in its Clipboard although there have been add-ons to allow you to store more, but none as integrated into the UI as well as I've seen in the Samsung tablets. There are also add-ons for Android but I find them to be a bit clumsy.

Perhaps someone can suggest a different brand tablet that has an expanded clipboard like Samsung. The ASUS ZenPad S8 Z380M has such a clipboard but you cannot lock the entries. Even worse it doesn't always work and some clips do not show up in the pull-down list although I can paste them manually.

Here is one trick I learned about the Z380M which might apply to other tablets as well: the on-screen keyboard was too sensitive and I was getting false clicks galore.

Go to Settings | Languages & Input | Mouse/Trackball | Pointer Speed

The factory setting seems to be right in the middle. Move the indicator/circle to the left to make your digitizer less sensitive or to the right to make it more sensitive.

Steve A.

P.S.Thanks for reading this - any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. The ASUS Z380M running Android 7.0 Nougat is pretty slick compared to my ancient Tab 4 7.0 for browsing and I've been tweaking the on-screen keyboard so that it is more like the Samsung (you can adjust the size and location so I don't have to make wide jumps between the P and A keys for the 8" tablet.)

One way the ASUS clipboard is better than the Samsung one in my Tab 4 7.0 is that it works in more apps and text boxes, like here at MEF. With the Samsung it works in the address/search bar near the top of the window in Chrome but not in the dedicated search bar further down the page, nor on most webpages. It's one of those things that you learn where it works and where it doesn't be because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

EDIT 03/12: I did find some information about the Galaxy Tab S2... like several Samsung devices it has a feature called "text shortcuts" independent from the Clipboard. You can assign blocks of text to specific letter combinations and when you type those letter combinations the assigned block of text appears in the suggestion bar at the top of the online keyboard. It looks pretty slick.

The following video shows how the feature works starting at 11 minutes 20 seconds:

Watch "10 Hidden Features of the Galaxy Tab S2 You Don't Know About" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/XtPdBLdeuRk

MORE: I found an on-screen keyboard app which also features "text shortcuts": Smart Keyboard Pro for $2.49 (lifetime registration for all of your Android devices using same gmail address.)

Keyboard app works great but horizontal width is not adjustable which makes it awkward to peck out letters on 8" or 10" tablets in landscape mode (the stock ASUS ZenUI keyboard allows you set height, width and horizontal & vertical position) however it does work well with 8" tablet in portrait mode.

SwiftKey is one of the most popular add-on keyboard apps but it has one fatal flaw which it has never addressed after many years: when you hit the period or some other punctuation keys it automatically inserts a space. While acceptable for typical word processing it is a pain in the neck when typing in, say, filenames which immediately follow a period with the file extension. Offering the option to turn off that "feature" in Settings would solve that problem but the developers are evidently blinded by tunnel vision, which is a bit strange because adding spaces after periods can create problems with programming as well!

BTW I used to have an old-style PC keyboard (Keytronics?) which supported what they called keyboard macros for the F keys... to make it even better this keyboard had two sets of F keys, with one to the right of the alphabet keys. I used several of the macros for typing in cheat codes for multiplayer games I used to play with my son 20 years ago (we always played as team mates never as competitors in what were called "death matches".)

Unfortunately this keyboard (my "magic keyboard!") died when I spilled Coke on it back when I'd drink 6 to 12 or more soft drinks with sugar every day (one six pack at work and another at home.) I would usually drink a quart or more of whole milk every day from 1990 to 2009 so I'd usually be consuming over 2,000 calories a day in just my beverages, which was one reason my weight eventually reached around 360 lbs back in 2009 (best guess estimate as my scale only went up to 330 lbs.)

[TANGENT ALERT!] Judging by my weight people just assumed that I must really enjoy eating food but it was my craving for soft drinks and milk that put me over the top. I used to think I was "big-boned" but my weight has dropped to around 150# ever since surgery and chemo for esophageal cancer in 2016 and my shirt size has dropped from 3XL to medium and my pants size dropped from 54/29 to 32/29... FWIW from 2009 through 2015 my weight had been dropping slowly but surely so I had been burning more calories than I was consuming since I stopped drinking sugary soft drinks.

That is one reason why I support sugar taxes on soft drinks - not to punish customers or discourage their habits (sin taxes!) but to help mitigate added expenses to our health system for obesity. While fiscal conservatives complain about practically any taxes and fees I believe in having people and businesses pay reasonable mitigation costs for the things that they do. Like when builders add thousands of houses putting more vehicles on our freeways it is fair to ask them to help pay for the infrastructure as well as any required improvements or upgrades.

Last edited by Steve A.; 03-12-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hey Steve, have you have much in the way of problems with the GPS lock, particularly when the WiFi is off? On all the Android devices I've ever had it sometimes takes 15-30 mins or so to lock, and often takes several restarts to get there.
    I thought I replied to this months ago but I guess I didn't post it. My bad!
    I never use GPS on my tablets to save battery life.

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    I thought I replied to this months ago but I guess I didn't post it. My bad!
    I never use GPS on my tablets to save battery life.

Steve A.
    Thx. The primary use of my tablet is walking / hiking using detailed maps. The GPS is a boon, when it works. I just can't seem to pinpoint why it's so troublesome. My wife's iPhone or car GPS lock within a minute.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Thx. The primary use of my tablet is walking / hiking using detailed maps. The GPS is a boon, when it works. I just can't seem to pinpoint why it's so troublesome. My wife's iPhone or car GPS lock within a minute.
    What tablet are you using, the Samsung Tab 4 7.0 you've mentioned in the past? That model was released almost 4 years ago and doesn't work well with a lot of modern websites and apps. I finally added an Android 7.0 tablet to my "stable"... an ASUS ZenPad S8 Z380M which was first released in 2015 but the OS has been regularly updated by ASUS unlike Samsung which would rather you buy a new device.

You might check around for recommendations for a tablet that works great for GPSs and maps...

Steve A.

Thread Information