Bugera 6260-212 help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    Yes, the "glowing spots". Often, they might stay lit up a bit as the filament voltage decays. Be sure to look at them for a bit after you lose volume. And, not meant at all to be condescending, but I'm not sure you should get into the amp if you don't know how to use the multi-meter.
    OK, I fired the amp up again, and after it malfunctioned, I waited about 5 minutes and checked the pre-amp tubes and all filaments are aglow.

As for the multimeter (and I didn't take you as being condescending), I do use it to measure ohms resistance of various pickups that I get. So I'm not a total doofus. As for other functions, I figure I can learn on the fly. I have no fear. Whats the worst that can happen? I screw something up and have to take it to an amp tech?

Comment

Ok, we've established to a reasonable degree that filament voltage is ok. Next I would start with simple tube substitution. I realize that you recently replaced all of the tubes, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have gotten a bad one, especially these days. It's simple enough to swap out tubes one at a time to see if that takes care of the problem.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ok, we've established to a reasonable degree that filament voltage is ok. Next I would start with simple tube substitution. I realize that you recently replaced all of the tubes, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have gotten a bad one, especially these days. It's simple enough to swap out tubes one at a time to see if that takes care of the problem.
        As I don't have a spare 12ax7 laying around to swap in and out of each of the 5 that are in the 6260, is there another way to check them?

Comment

I just went and bought a brand new 12AX7. I assume that I power down between each swap, right?

Comment

Yes, best to power down.

Comment

Yes, best to power down.
              OK, I figured so. Checking each right now.

Comment

Nope. Swapped out every one of the 5 preamp tubes. Nothing changed.

At least I now have a spare 12AX7 around in case I ever have to do this again...

Now what?

Comment

Time to crack it open. You said in post one that you heard a "POP and FIZZING sound". I would open it up and see if you can spot any obvious damage via visual inspection. "POP and FIZZING" sounds like a possible exploded cap, but look around and see if you notice any split caps, burnt resistors, etc. Also, there are lethal voltages in there, so use extreme caution!

Comment

Time to crack it open. You said in post one that you heard a "POP and FIZZING sound". I would open it up and see if you can spot any obvious damage via visual inspection. "POP and FIZZING" sounds like a possible exploded cap, but look around and see if you notice any split caps, burnt resistors, etc. Also, there are lethal voltages in there, so use extreme caution!
                    I heard the POP & FIZZING when one of the original Bugera tubes blew. After the re-tube with the JJ's, it was fine.

I do understand that touching the wrong thing could kill me, so, what do I avoid? Of course I will not have the power cord connected! I read once that there is a way to de-electrify (I have no idea what the proper term is) the caps so that it is completely safe. You know, empty them of their charge?

Comment

It is just called discharging a cap. You know honestly your only 20 minutes away from where I live. If you want to look at the amp safely on my bench I will be available on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoons.
                      When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Thank you Gonz! Weekends are usually pretty hectic for me, but I'll keep you in mind if I need to get over there. I really appreciate your offer!!

Ok! I got the chassis out and without removing the PCB, the only thing that looks amiss is the bottom fuse in this pic:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	841785

Comment

Here's a pic of the whole chassis in case someone wants to direct me on where to go and what to look for:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	841787

Comment

Originally posted by frpax View Post
                            Thank you Gonz! Weekends are usually pretty hectic for me, but I'll keep you in mind if I need to get over there. I really appreciate your offer!!

Ok! I got the chassis out and without removing the PCB, the only thing that looks amiss is the bottom fuse in this pic:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]38844[/ATTACH]
                            I took my multimeter and did a continuity check on those 4 fuses and they are all good.

Comment

Have you read up on discharging the caps and done so? There are lethal voltages present in there so that is top priority!
                              Originally posted by Enzo
                              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                                Have you read up on discharging the caps and done so? There are lethal voltages present in there so that is top priority!
                                Am doing so as we speak. Consulting Google and YouTube.

There seems to be several methods, some very elaborate with some specialty equipment. I'm looking for something simple that doesn't require me to go buy anything (unless it's stupid cheap)

Comment

Working...
                                X