Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver Sound H100 - anyone seen a schematic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver Sound H100 - anyone seen a schematic?

Hello,

I picked up this old Oliver Sound H100 recently - that's the company started by Jess Oliver of Ampeg fame. The company didn't last too long, and there's precious little info on the internet about these amps. Specificially this one. I've googled to the best of my abilities, and haven't been able to find any info.

If one doesn't exist out there in the wild, what do you think the chances are of reverse-engineering a schematic for thing thing? It's a relatively simple amp - 3 inputs, 3 knobs, 2 preamp tubes and 2 6L6s. But I don't know if I'm up to the task, since I'm just a beginner with amp tinkering.

Can anyone direct me to any resources for this sort of thing?

Since Jess & Ampeg were sort of "joined at the hip" I'd have a look at schematics of Ampegs of the same time period, bet you'll find something similar or identical to your Oliver.

Put up a photo of the innards & we can all join in the search.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

The closest thing I've been able to find so far is this: http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/oliver_amps.pdf. There's no H100 in the schematics there, but I'm hoping something's going to be close. Maaaaaybe the B120, seeing as how it's a 2 preamp / 2 power tube setup like mine.

I'll take some photos of the guts this evening and post them here. If anyone's willing to take a look and weigh in, it will be much appreciated.

Comment

I won't be home for a week but I have a Vintage Guitar article about Oliver Amps, and some schematics. I gigged with a Powerflex 500 for a bit in the 90's, the head rose from the cabinet and front panel illuminated at the flick of a switch, looked pretty dramatic on stage

I concur that there is no rocket surgery in there, relatively mundane pre and power amps but there may be some slightly more interesting things going on with the tone controls.

You certainly don't need a schematic to repair one if you have a little experience. You can look at other Oliver amp schems, and from my recollection, they are very similar

Comment

That's great to hear! If you can, please post the article you have when you have time. I'd love to read that, and it would be great to have it out there in internetland.

I had time to take some photos at lunchtime today. Let me know if this is helpful, or if I can provide any more detail in certain areas or what. At the very least, it will be nice to get this info out there in Google-able form for anyone else looking for info on Oliver amps.

Also, I think the H100 and B100 are the same thing - just the B100 is a combo and the H100 is a head. But, I haven't been able to find a schematic for either.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Forgot to add: it's two 6EU7s in the preamp. Two 6L6s in the power section.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by yaryaryar View Post
            Forgot to add: it's two 6EU7s in the preamp. Two 6L6s in the power section.
            Looking at the schematic for the B-120, it seems to be the same amp but without the mid and ultra high controls.

At least most of the components on the pc board are the same values.

What is wrong with the amp?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
              Looking at the schematic for the B-120, it seems to be the same amp but without the mid and ultra high controls.
              That makes sense. Thanks!

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
              What is wrong with the amp?
              Actually, I think it's ok now. When I got it, it was really quiet. Way quieter than a 35 watt amp should be, to my novice ears anyway. But last night I had time to really get in there and clean the pots/switches/sockets, and it sounds much better. Lots louder. So I'm guessing it just wasn't making a good connection somewhere, and a good scrub-down was all it needed.

This is a really neat amp. The bass input sounds just like you'd expect a 60s Ampeg to - round and full - and the guitar input is much brighter and breaks up nicely at about 12 o'clock (like you would expect a 60s Ampeg NOT to). I'd still be interested to see a schematic, if one turns up. But I do think Bill is right that this is nearly the same as the B120 schematic, minus a couple knobs/switches, and plus an accordian input.

Comment

Working...
              X