5f1 kit distortion and low volume after kit build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f1 kit distortion and low volume after kit build

I have checked all the wiring switched out the tubes and cannot figure out what is wrong. When I turn the volume control up I hit a spot at about 75% of the way up where a get a sort of squealing sound then no output after that. below that point I have output but distorted and very low volume.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

Sounds like you have a parasitic oscillation going on; when you hit that spot on the dial, it's swamping the signal. Which kit did you build, did it provide a layout, and did you follow it? Can you post a schematic and any docs that came with it?

PS: keep only one thread open; first, it's bad forum manners to run three concurrent threads, and two, it keeps the flow of information & progress all in one spot. Thanks!

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
      Sounds like you have a parasitic oscillation going on; when you hit that spot on the dial, it's swamping the signal. Which kit did you build, did it provide a layout, and did you follow it? Can you post a schematic and any docs that came with it?

PS: keep only one thread open; first, it's bad forum manners to run three concurrent threads, and two, it keeps the flow of information & progress all in one spot. Thanks!

Justin
      Thank you. Here is the layout.http://www.tedweber.com/media/kits/5f1_layout.jpg
      Sorry about the multiple threads I am new to this and had a hard time finding what I thought was the right place to pose my question. I will go back and delete the duplicate threads.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post

Justin
        I also built a Hoffman kit with a weber W022772 power transformer and got no sound at all.http://el34world.com/Hoffman/files/Hoffman_5F1.pdf

Comment

Try reversing the red and blue wires from the output transformer.
          Stick with fixing the Weber for now, once it's good you can start a new post about the Hoffman.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
            Try reversing the red and blue wires from the output transformer.
            Stick with fixing the Weber for now, once it's good you can start a new post about the Hoffman.
            Thank you, that solved the sqelching problem at 75% volume. However, the problems of low volume, distortion and no output above 75% volume remain.

Comment

Working...
            X