Yamaha DG60 power transformer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha DG60 power transformer help

Looking for a US power transformer for a Yamaha DG60-112 combo. Yamaha tells me it's no longer available and offers no help as far as a replacement.
    In measuring the transformer is appears to have two secondary windings, one 55VAC with a center tap and the other 10VAC with no center tap.
    Anyone know an amp that might use similar voltages that might work?
    Jerry
    FJA Mods
    FJA YouTube
    FJA Facebook

Originally posted by JerryP View Post
    Looking for a US power transformer for a Yamaha DG60-112 combo. Yamaha tells me it's no longer available and offers no help as far as a replacement.
    In measuring the transformer is appears to have two secondary windings, one 55VAC with a center tap and the other 10VAC with no center tap.
    Anyone know an amp that might use similar voltages that might work?
    Jerry
    I'm curious. If the transformer is faulty, how are you able to measure the voltages?

You could consider two transformers or a rewind.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

It has a European 220V power transformer in it. Pretty sure a rewind would cost more than the amp is worth.
      FJA Mods
      FJA YouTube
      FJA Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP View Post
        It has a European 220V power transformer in it. Pretty sure a rewind would cost more than the amp is worth.
        Ah! I see.

How about a 120 to 220 step up mounted in the box?
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Jerry, your main is a 55v, so something in the 50-60v range, or 25-0-25 to 30-0-30 ought to work, meaning 35v to 38v DC rails. The 10v winding is used to make a +10v supply, which is regulated down to +5 on each board.

I'd wager some PV solid state amp might have similar voltages.

I noted on the digital board (?) - DM board - there seems to be a link so the 5v Vreg can be powered by this off-board 10v or by the +15v rail. Might help to know that.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Jerry, your main is a 55v, so something in the 50-60v range, or 25-0-25 to 30-0-30 ought to work, meaning 35v to 38v DC rails. The 10v winding is used to make a +10v supply, which is regulated down to +5 on each board.

I'd wager some PV solid state amp might have similar voltages.

I noted on the digital board (?) - DM board - there seems to be a link so the 5v Vreg can be powered by this off-board 10v or by the +15v rail. Might help to know that.
            Thanks! First thing I thought of was Peavey. So far in the Peavey and Fender stuff I've looked at they all seem to have only one secondary winding. Any other time I'd be tripping over something I could use here in the shop, but when I need one there's none to be found!
            FJA Mods
            FJA YouTube
            FJA Facebook

Comment

I was thinking of the things in the box mixers and similar, usually had a CT V+/V- winding and a LV winding for the 15v rails. Something lower power so the voltage isn't too high, like a 260C maybe? KB100 maybe? The MAX115 has 35v rails, but only the one winding, but you could probably cobble the extra LV supplies off the main rails instead of a separate winding. Just extra isolation for digital noise sake.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you want to get a "pull" from a dead/junk amp look at *Asian* (mainly Korean although Japanese or Chinese are possibilities, notice yours is a Yamaha ) amplifiers, they love this dual secondary style, one for the power amp, one for preamp, sometimes a third one for the digita; stuff, while Americans get +/- 15V using ceramic power resistors and Zeners.
                So Peavey/Crate will hardly do.

But there's tons of no name/house brand amps out there which are actually Korean made,think those sold by GC , any made by Samick , cheap Hartke, etc.

If not, go dual transformer, any pull (since you want to save) for main rails, any inexpensive little one for low voltage.

I routinely pull and save small power transformers from small junk TVs (those which can also run from car batteries or plain alkaline ones) , they have an around 10/11VAC secondary , meant to give roughly 13 VDC .

So you might solve your problem with junk you have around.

The ~50VAC transformer might be found in a 40/60W home amplifier or receiver.

Not surprised that Yamaha uses single rail stuff , they used to do that in their top of the line 80's amps (G100, etc.)
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Actually Yamaha derived their +/-15v with zeners from V+ and V- here also, the extra winding is for the +5v rails for digital/control stuff

Service manual below.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X