Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube amp with a part/component I'm unsure of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp with a part/component I'm unsure of...

I'm working on a 60's 440s Guyatone (tokyo sound) amp that has a part I haven't seen before. The schematic shows a diode and capacitor in parallel, but the amp has this black plastic looking part with a single red dot on one end. It tests like a diode. I can't really get a reliable reading on it with my capacitance meter. Does anyone happen to know what this is? I've attached a picture that shows the parts

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black with Red Dot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	870568

Thanks...

Originally posted by kevtronic View Post
    ...but the amp has this black plastic looking part with a single red dot on one end. It tests like a diode.
    They are just silicon diodes SH-1 or something like that. If there are caps, they usually are ceramics added to snub the noise from the diodes.

Comment

Yup, see them in mid-late-60s Ampegs all the time - the ones with full-wave bridge rectifiers, though without the caps.

Justin

Just noticed the dowel jammed under the board... nice!
      Last edited by Justin Thomas; 05-05-2016, 09:06 AM.
      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

SH-1 Diode for sure.

SH- 1, Tube SH-1; Röhre SH- 1 ID58393, Solid-State-Diode

Comment

Ya - I'm using the dowels to hold the board up off the chassis while going thru the amp. I figured they were just diodes, but better to ask and look dumb than not to ask and be dumb as I've never seen them before. Thanks for the info...

Comment

Thanks for the info. I couldn't seem to find any info on them searching the web based on the schematic or info on the diodes...

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
              That would be them. Thanks for the link...

Comment

And think about it, a diode with a parallel cap would test like a diode, wouldn't it? And a cap with a diode across it probably wouldn;t test well as a cap. Though the signal from the cap test is likely DC current, so reversing your leads during the cap measurement MIGHT make a difference.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X