shorter tubes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shorter tubes.

So todays problem: A friend sometimes pays me in parts for repairs, so I built an amp with a free chassis to stick in a free headbox......except the rectifier and power tubes won't fit!(&^%$^&^)
    so I can enlarge the octal socket holes and mount the tubes recessed in the chassis about 1/2".
    OR----- are their any shorter 6V6's, and 5Y3's? or how about something that's similiar?
    like a found an older RCA 5Y3 in a box that's only 2.5" high....I wonder if it works.....

You're right, there are some older tubes that came in surpizingly short bottles, but what about when it comes time to re-tube? I think I'd find a way for the box to accept a modern day standard size tube.

I've run into some Silvertone amps that I actually had to cut slots in the brace under the top in the back. Then you could put the tubes in first & then slide the chassis in with the tubes already in it.

Sounds like your issue is beyond that...good luck...g

Comment

Just get some standoffs and mount the tube sockets below the chassis. Available from Mouser and other electronic suppliers. I have done this numerous times for various reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by J Martin View Post
        Just get some standoffs and mount the tube sockets below the chassis. Available from Mouser and other electronic suppliers. I have done this numerous times for various reasons.
        I have thousands of standoffs all different sizes here at work. All I need is less than a 1/2" so I can recess the sockets and they won't hit the tag board, I just have to find the damn dremel tool to enlarge the socket holes....I don't want to try the knockout punch.

Comment

"I don't want to try the knockout punch".

I can't think of an easier or better way to make a hole in a chassis, and am wondering why you wouldn't use a punch over a Dremel, etc.? The only downside to punches are their bloody expensive price, but use one once and your a slave to them..

Bill

Comment

Make the box bigger.

Depending on how the box is made you could try adding a "vent". I used a grate from an old teac rec/plbk preamp. Cut a hole in the box and added the grate to the outside.

Not only did it add ventilation for my tubes it increased the internal height of the box making it easier to put the tubes in.

Now evry problem is different and my chassis was inverted but something like this would save an enourmous amount of PITA! Something to consider.
            JMO
            William Mouthurst
            TFB
            Last edited by Mouthurst; 09-23-2007, 12:42 AM. Reason: spellig

Comment

Originally posted by satsloader View Post
              "I don't want to try the knockout punch".

I can't think of an easier or better way to make a hole in a chassis, and am wondering why you wouldn't use a punch over a Dremel, etc.? The only downside to punches are their bloody expensive price, but use one once and your a slave to them..

Bill
              I use punches all the time, but I was trying to enlarge a 1" hole by about 1/4", I would have had to center it just right as to not punch the socket screw holes etc.
              I simply enlarged the holes, recessed the sockets and all is well.

Comment

Working...
              X