peavey classic 50/410 burnt circuit board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey classic 50/410 burnt circuit board

I have a 90s classic 50/410 amp. The board that has the EL-84s on it is burnt deep around one of the sockets,traces gone etc. Peavey said they have no replacements left. Anybody have one hanging around? Any luck fixing these? I'm open to suggestions.Thanks pb

I have successfully repaired many boards with large holes burnt through them. No, they were not all C50s. It looks more dramatic than it actually is most of the time. If the socket is mostly still mounted, then replace the traces with wires jumping to the closest remaining parts.

First though, if the socket is charred, replace it.

Next, charred pc board is conductive, you must grind away any carbonized portions - the black must all go.

And make sure not to overlook traces that were just passing through, and traces that go to a tube socket pin, but also continue on to some component, like a flyback diode.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've fixed a burned board once by first thoroughly cleaning off the loose carbon. I took the whole board out and cleaned it off with solvent, I don't remember what kind, in a slop sink. Than I used a dremel to completely cut out the burned portion of the board. I scraped of the solder mask (green stuff) off the ends of the interrupted traces and soldered wire across. I also had to replace one of the power tube sockets and think I even had to cut out a couple of tube socket pads. I just soldered the jumper wires directly to the new socket pins.

Comment

yeah, what Enzo said. Walked away for a while mid-post.

Comment

Glad you mentioned the Dremel. Mine sits right next to me all day, I use it a lot. That is what I also use for grinding away carbonized board material.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thats what I wanted to hear.

Here goes. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks pb

Comment

Working...
            X