Thread: Choosing power tubes?

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 653/6
    Given: 1,261/9
    Not until it works and I like it!

Justin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Old Timer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 653/6
    Given: 1,261/9
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    I haven't been following this thread from the beginning, just looked at it today. I was going to ask what you've been using for the preamp pentode and how reliable it's been. Since you're converting over to a twin triode preamp I thought I'd ask -- why did you end up bagging the pentode?
    I was using an old Mullard EF86, switched off with a JJ or a Seimens. They all made various noises to some degree - rattles, etc. I put in a shock-mounted tube socket, dampers on the tube, all the usual stuff. I just got tired of fighting it.
    The JJ was good, but after some hours, plop...

So between the frustration of that and the fact that it was originally built for someone else, I never liked it enough to say, "I'll play this one today." I'm an unashamed Fender guy, so I decided to rebuild it into something <I> want to play. And, even though there are some setbacks, I think I like it better already.

Justin

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Thread Information