controlling zoom 9030 thru fc-100 mkII footcontroller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controlling zoom 9030 thru fc-100 mkII footcontroller

I recently purchased a roland gp-16 with a fc-100 mkII footcontroller and that works fine, but I want that my effects on my zoom 9030 are also controlled by the fc-100 mkII footcontroller.
    I made sure that the midi chanel on the roland and the zoom are the same, but when I change banknumbers on the footcontroller, the effect on the zoom stays the same and the effect on the roland gp-16 changes.
    I really want that for example i can set the footcontroller so that nr 1 is and effect from the zoom and nr 2 is an effect from the roland....

I never worked with "midi-stuff" before and I really hope somebody here can help me out and explain in an easy way how to do this.

thanks in advance

First off...how are they all connected?

It appears the Roland GP16 has MIDI In/Out/Thru, and the Zoom only has MIDI In/Out?

You probably have the most obvious connection, first, of the foot controller into the Roland module, right? It appears the foot controller is proprietary to that (and possibly other) Roland modules, since it has no "MIDI Out", but has an RRC jack?

How is the Zoom connected? From the Roland module MIDI Out, or Thru?

In this case, probably should be connected to "MIDI Out". It appears the "MIDI In" of the Roland module is basically for receiving data from an external device, or sequencer, and if nothing is connected to the "MIDI In", then there will be no data at the "MIDI Thru", since the "Thru" basically bypasses the guts of the Roland module, and re-transmits only the data seen at the "MIDI In" connector.

SOOO....to get the Zoom to see any changes from the Roland foot controller, you need to connect the Zoom to the Roland module "MIDI Out", and ALSO set the Roland module "Transmit" channel to the same as the Zoom "Receive" channel. I'm GUESSING that is what may have been overlooked?

Here's a pdf of the manual:

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GP-16_OM.pdf

Go to page 47 of the manual (which the pdf viewer will likely show as "page 49 of 84". Look at the actual printed page number.)

"Setting the MIDI Transmit Channel". It came from factory set to channel 1, but who knows who may have changed anything in all this time? If these are the only things MIDI-connected, just set EVERYTHING to channel 1. If you have nothing connected to the Roland module "MIDI In", then that channel number really doesn't matter, at this point...but might as well poke around and set it to channel 1, also.

Don't worry about the Omni On/Off, at this point, either. That will only come into play if you have something connected to the Roland module "MIDI In".

Now then, it's going to get a bit tricky having the Zoom follow the same "Control Change" messages (the Roland foot controller expression pedals, etc.)

Go to (printed page) 48. You are going to have to assign the Roland module to output whatever messages you want the Zoom to receive, AND you'll have to assign in the Zoom, parameters to respond to those messages. Maybe you want Volume Change messages (CC#7)? Maybe you want Reverb Depth? Maybe you want...whatever? A BUNCH of choices, there. You are pretty much on your own in that deep, deep well!

But, first, let's get the Zoom to respond to Program Change messages. "Patch/Program Change" messages just tell the units to switch to the programmed patch. "Control Change" (CC) messages tell the units what to manipulate within that patch...volume, panning, effect level, etc.

So, first...just try Roland module "MIDI Out" to Zoom "MIDI In". Check that Roland module "Transmit" channel matches Zoom "receive channel". try to change patches, and see if Zoom cooperates.

Hope that helped!

Brad1

Comment

many thanks for the help!!!

still have to figure it out, like i said b4, never had to deal with midi b4.

my fc goes into the roland, roland mid out goes to zoom midi in.
      they are both on the first chanel.
      I already have the effects I want on the zoom, now I hope with your help I can figure out how to control them with the FC.

many thanks again 4 the reply.

gr

J.

Comment

Working...
      X