Today's "Strange Question"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's "Strange Question"

Where can I get 1/4 or 1/2W resistors that are a cylindrical body with a flat metal lead attached at either end, not a wire lead out of the middle of the body?

Here's a page I found on the net with the right kind of resistors:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	870623

Doh! that pic has the right kind of trimmer pot too!

Where can I find the resistors and trimmer pot? I've pored through the usual places and a few of my own private reserves with no luck. I can't even figure out what to call that resistor style.
    Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Do they still make those? I used to see them all the time when I used to repair televisions about 20 years ago. No idea where you would get them now unless you cannibalise a few old tv's!

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
      Where can I get 1/4 or 1/2W resistors that are a cylindrical body with a flat metal lead attached at either end, not a wire lead out of the middle of the body?

Here's a page I found on the net with the right kind of resistors:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]39266[/ATTACH]

Doh! that pic has the right kind of trimmer pot too!

Where can I find the resistors and trimmer pot? I've pored through the usual places and a few of my own private reserves with no luck. I can't even figure out what to call that resistor style.
      Look like dogbone resistors.

Do the trimmers have to be new and what value are you looking for . I've got a box of reclaimed ones I can send if I have what you need.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

KOA Speer makes that physical style (radial mount, flat leads, color dots), but in metal film and not (what I'm presuming to be) carbon film (in ye olde Arbiter trem?). (I can't think of any that are carbon film but who knows, maybe there is a maker out there?)

(click "LF/LFF/RK26 catalog" for the pdf) :

https://www.koaglobal.com/ja-JP/prod...spx?sc_lang=en

Old ceramic caps in that style were apparently termed "dog bone" or "rod" colloquially, but I don't recall if/what more "official" terms would be. Old resistors in that shape seem to go back at least to WWII.

re: the trim pot, maybe an "open frame" type? (not sure if that is correct)

Comment

Originally posted by nosaj View Post
          Do the trimmers have to be new and what value are you looking for . I've got a box of reclaimed ones I can send if I have what you need.
          Wow! That's a very nice offer. Anything between 500K and 2M would work. I'm working on a "looks-alike" restoration.

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
          KOA Speer makes that physical style (radial mount, flat leads, color dots), but in metal film and not (what I'm presuming to be) carbon film (in ye olde Arbiter trem?). (I can't think of any that are carbon film but who knows, maybe there is a maker out there?)
          And another great lead! As I mentioned, it's a "looks alike" restoration, so what they are inside, metal or carbon, matters less than they're an OK value and look like the originals at first glance. It's not intended to be a counterfeit, just a lookalike, so it doesn't have to be identical, just a reasonable facsimile.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Is that a Arbiter Trem Face?

Comment

Would the Bourns 3319P-1 trimmers be close enough for you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	3319P-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	842064
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Those have the plastic knob bit on them, his originals were bare frame.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X