Ampeg VL-503.......Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg VL-503.......Need Help!

I am looking for a source for a very hard part to find for this amp. I need the momentary dual switch for the effects loop. It’s labeled as “S13” in the schematic and the Ampeg part number is 88-302-10. I have searched for hours online and made several calls starting with Loud Technologies that stocks a lot of Ampeg parts but not this one. They went as far to say that there didn’t seem to be an alternative replacement for it. They referred me to Bruce at Fliptops, which could not help either. I have searched ebay and other sites advertising Ampeg parts. I am hoping to find someone that may have a parts board lying around that I could purchase one from. I’m sure the other VL models used this switch also.

So I guess I’m asking the great collection of folks on this forum if they have or know someone or somewhere that I could acquire this switch? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am attaching the schematic and pictures of the broken switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832 -1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	870624

Name:	IMG_0831-1.jpg
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	870625

Name:	IMG_0830-1.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	870626

VL-503 Schematics 2.pdf

Just as I posted this thread I continued my search and stumbled upon this. It measured the same as mine so I ordered it. I will post back when I receive it and update this post. In the mean time if anyone knows of other sources please let me know if this doesn't work out...........thanks

DPDT PUSH-ON / PUSH-OFF SWITCH | All Electronics Corp.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyk View Post
      Just as I posted this thread I continued my search and stumbled upon this. It measured the same as mine so I ordered it. I will post back when I receive it and update this post. In the mean time if anyone knows of other sources please let me know if this doesn't work out...........thanks

DPDT PUSH-ON / PUSH-OFF SWITCH | All Electronics Corp.
      Is the original switch a momentary action as you stated or is it push on /push off like the one from All Electronics?

If it is momentary, you may be able to defeat the latching mechanism on the replacement to make it work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
        Is the original switch a momentary action as you stated or is it push on /push off like the one from All Electronics?

If it is momentary, you may be able to defeat the latching mechanism on the replacement to make it work correctly.
        I guess I got too excited and didn't pay attention to what it actually was........shameful

Here is what it is listed as in the schematic......

VL Switch.doc

Comment

Given my lack of circuit knowledge..........is the switch that I need a SPST? The parts list in the service manual only says "dual switch momentary"

Comment

What you need is what you ordered.

DPDT.

Unfortunately, the switch as ordered is a 'maintained' type.
            (it latches In or Out)

You need a 'momentary' switch.
            (it does not latch).

Internally, there is a small spring steel piece that does the latching.
            That can be removed to make it a momentary switch.
            You must be very careful when removing the top cover of the switch as it holds the sliding contacts in place.

Comment

Here is the proper switch.

PBH2UOANAGX E-Switch | Switches | DigiKey

E Switch's datasheet: E Switch.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Here is the proper switch.

PBH2UOANAGX E-Switch | Switches | DigiKey

E Switch's datasheet: [ATTACH]39298[/ATTACH]
                Well I'll be a son of a ...........honestly i was so upset when Loud Technologies didn't have in i completely forgot about Digikey.....always my first thought when looking for caps and resistors. Thanks a bunch Jazz!

I was out of sorts with how it got broken....it caused me to over think it.

Comment

Can't really fault Loud, after all, the amp is almost 25 years old. And it was built by SLM, not Loud.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                    Can't really fault Loud, after all, the amp is almost 25 years old. And it was built by SLM, not Loud.
                    Oh I'm in no way upset with Loud at all. I've received nothing but great service from them. Duffy was the last one i spoke with there.....great guy!

Any anger i have is from how the switch became broken in the first place. My wife got one of those roomba auto vacuum cleaners. The sadistic hethan powered itself on while we were out. It managed to find its way into my mancave. The circuit board was leaning against the desk and the vacuum knocked it over and molested it resulting in the broken switch. Needless to say the vacuum cleaner has a new home.......it's lucky i didn't use it for target practice. The wife didn't program it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatyk View Post
                      Needless to say the vacuum cleaner has a new home.......it's lucky i didn't use it for target practice.
                      I think you may be on to something here. Mind you, it's a bit of an expensive "skeet".
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        What you need is what you ordered.

DPDT.

Unfortunately, the switch as ordered is a 'maintained' type.
                        (it latches In or Out)

You need a 'momentary' switch.
                        (it does not latch).

Internally, there is a small spring steel piece that does the latching.
                        That can be removed to make it a momentary switch.
                        You must be very careful when removing the top cover of the switch as it holds the sliding contacts in place.
                        Ok I have received the switch, disassembled it and removed the part that makes it latch when pushed in. Piece of cake. What's not fun is getting that spring compressed enough to get the clip in. I spent an hour fooling with it and only ended up with sore fingertips. I'm about ready to just order the correct one and trash this one. Any suggestions?

Comment

I put the switch in a small bench vise to hold it solid and steady. Then I use a small pair of needle nose pliers across the end of the spring to push it down. The tips of the pliers straddle the plunger shaft. Then insert the c clip enough to hold it in the groove and the take a second pair of pliers to press the c clip fully onto the plunger shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                            I put the switch in a small bench vise to hold it solid and steady. Then I use a small pair of needle nose pliers across the end of the spring to push it down. The tips of the pliers straddle the plunger shaft. Then insert the c clip enough to hold it in the groove and the take a second pair of pliers to press the c clip fully onto the plunger shaft.
                            Thanks for the heads up on using the vise. Hadn't thought of using that. I eventually got it after using several colorful words. All is well and it is mounted on the pcb and funtioning as it should. Thanks again Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X