PAF Swirl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAF Swirl

Hello forum members, perhaps some light can be shed on this subject: some early Gibson humbuckers are known to have a peculiar "swirly" quality to them, which creates a very interesting and complex sound, resembling a subtle phasing or flanging effect. After listening and thinking about what might cause this effect, my only supposition is that it is caused by comb filtering, which, I suppose, would be caused by a difference between the two coils in their response time to the vibration of the strings. Does anyone know what might cause such a delay in response from one coil, or have any ideas? I am just as interested in the scientific reasons behind why this happens as in the practical method of producing the effect. Thanks.

The only effect I'm aware of with humbuckers, is a tremelo effect.
    It is usually caused from the pickups being raised too high.
    I actually like the effect, it seems to be more prevalent with some amps.
    Another factor that may effect it, is how much wind offset is between the two coils.

If others know anything about it, please jump in.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I think what you are talking about may be the slight mis-match in coil winds.

Comment

Working...
      X