Low Power Electric Guitar Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Amp

I'm a tube amp freak and love the tweed era. These "bedroom" amp discussions kill me though. Those amps that use preamp tubes as power tubes suck.
    Even the smallest "old style",one 6v6 amp is way too loud for most of these folks.
    If I "had to have" a bedroom volume amp I would run a real amp into an attenuator.
    If that wasn't quiet enough then I would run it into headphones.
    Sorry,I'm spoiled. I get to turn my real amps up as loud as I want to.
    Good luck.

JJ
    Last edited by Jammin'John; 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You didn't mention a budget, but I'll assume pricey boutique amps aren't in the running. Haven't heard one myself, but I'd consider this little all-tube 5W-8":

Monoprice 611705 5Watt, 1 x 8 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker $181.16
      http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-6117...=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

If it's too clean at low volume, put a Tube Screamer Mini in front. Still under $300.

Comment

Still too loud.

JJ

Comment

Anything with a real power tube in it will probably be too loud for the OP. Could swap the 6V6 for a 6K6 to knock it down to about 3W. Or power it from a rheostat (90-100v) or step-down tranny (US120v to JAP100). Or both. Should distort nicely much sooner. Would probably sound better than an attenuator. Of course you could do the same with any of the aforementioned 6V6-powered amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Mills View Post
            Anything with a real power tube in it will probably be too loud for the OP.
            I know this is heresy, but how about a 1W SS amp with JFET preamp, driving a decent speaker?
            Danelectro HoneyTone Repair & Modifications
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Or a plain full blown digital simulator.
              2000 different amps under the hood.

The MAIN problem with simulators is that if you want to emulate the real thing, at real thing levels, you need more muscle than Schwarzenegger (the old one, not the current politician) ... or settle for real mild volume.
              If that's enough for you, fine with me.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

If SS is in the game, how about a Pignose? You already have a Tele, you can play like Karate Kid on Crossroads.
                Valvulados

Comment

Of the amps mentioned in the original post I'd go with a used Bugera V5 and do some of the mods spelled out in this thread...

Tweaking the Bugera V5 Circuit | Telecaster Guitar Forum

Steve Ahola

EDIT The mods in the initial post are for the older non-Infinium model. The new model uses SMT components so I'd skip the mods besides adding bright caps to the volume and gain pots. The new model also has a better speaker.
                  Last edited by Steve A.; 06-09-2016, 06:13 AM.
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:
                  https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

For example: These are powerful amps' comparison but i like it https://youtu.be/Ld-snqZC160

And My ears choosed Vox sound.

Can I get same Vox sound with its 4W (same series) or does the box sizes or speaker type or other factors kills the 4W one?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Got The Blues View Post
                      For example: These are powerful amps' comparison but i like it https://youtu.be/Ld-snqZC160

Can I get same Vox sound with its 4W (same series) or does the box sizes or speaker type or other factors kills the 4W one?
                      I didn't watch the whole thing but in the comparison done at 1:30 he is overdriving the Vox more than the BluesJr and made the Fender sound thin on purpose. The Blues Jr has much better tone than that.
                      Valvulados

Comment

No. I was checking out all of the Vox tube amps at GC starting with the small ones and ended up getting the AC15 which was on clearance (plus 24 months same as cash.) The clip shows the more expensive AC15 with the Celestion Blue I believe (I don't speak Aussie.)

Steve A.
                        The Blue Guitar
                        www.blueguitar.org
                        Some recordings:
                        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                          No. I was checking out all of the Vox tube amps at GC starting with the small ones and ended up getting the AC15 which was on clearance (plus 24 months same as cash.) The clip shows the more expensive AC15 with the Celestion Blue I believe (I don't speak Aussie.)

Steve A.
                          Do Celestion Blue or Greenback affect much?

Because 4W ones don't have these speakers, I assume.

Comment

Do Celestion Blue or Greenback affect much?

Because 4W ones don't have these speakers, I assume.
                            You mean in comparison to the stock Vox brand speakers? If so then yes, it's a completely different amplifier with Celestions.
                            Valvulados

Comment

real small!

BluGuitar - Home of the AMP1

now used by Jennifer Batten and Uli Jon Roth

Comment

Or FZ!

Justin
                                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
                                X