Getting an XLR mic to feed into a computer mic input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowesj View Post
    What is interesting is when I send a single mic in through my teac model 2 mixing board and assign that mic to two output channels on the mixing board then I pan the input with the mixer's pan control it does pan across the computer speakers.
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    If panning your mixer makes the sound move then you have a stereo input.
    I get the impression that any mono source assigned to both outputs like that will "move" when panned, so I still am not convinced this is a stereo mic. Are those output channels not considered (or assigned) left and right?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Regarding the guitar going through the mixing board I have tested it and it works fine (for my ears at least). I was playing along with "Band In A Box" as well and it sounds much better through both my guitar amps (again for my ears at least). By the end of June we will have a test done with drums, bass, guitar and guitar to see what happens. One model 2 feeds the guitar amps (up to 4 of them if needed so we all hear the same mix - including the audience). I am trying to avoid the complaints I keep hearing (for many years now) from the member's of my friend's classic rock band (we can't hear each other and we don't know if the audience is hearing us correctly). If needed I can set an amp up for the drummer so he can set the volume to his liking. So potentially 1 for audience, 2 up front pointing back at us and 1 for the drummer. For the demo recording the other model 2 feeds the old notebook computer to do the recording (I can blend one or more mikes out front for the recording with an addition input tapped of the first model 2 for a direct sound). It should be an interesting experiment.

Originally posted by g1 View Post
      I get the impression that any mono source assigned to both outputs like that will "move" when panned, so I still am not convinced this is a stereo mic. Are those output channels not considered (or assigned) left and right?
      The mic is not a stereo mic. The input jack to the computer is wired for stereo mikes or for a mixing board. So the path is this. 1 mono mike coming into channel 1 of the mixer which is assigned to output channels 1 and 2. These channels go out via RCA to a wire that blends them into a 1/8th inch stereo male plug. I was looking at the 1/8th inch plug schematic with these two RCA (shown at this link)
      http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/co...jack-2xRCA.gif
      It has to be feeding through this schematic to the speakers as left and right. The input jack has to be wired for stereo inside the computer. I moved that mike to all 6 input channels and panned each one for the same result so by the time I got to the 6th one it fully registered in my mind that it was panning to the two speakers. But I would like to know if audacity can record this on a left and right track.

Comment

I fooled around a bit and got a nasty distortion (and not the good kind of nasty) but if yours is copacetic with guitars then you're all good. I would just not want to set up and get that nasty surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
          I fooled around a bit and got a nasty distortion (and not the good kind of nasty) but if yours is copacetic with guitars then you're all good. I would just not want to set up and get that nasty surprise.
          On my mixing board I have to select 10 db of attenuation. The guitar is too powerful for the board otherwise and for sure it distorts without that attenuation. Also on the Godin multiac you can't set the volume too high. Once that is set properly it works fine.

It is the same feeding the mixer into the computer mic input. You have to set the levels down a fair bit. On the desktop I choose the line input instead.

Comment

Working...
          X