Mesa Tremolo LDR type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Tremolo LDR type?

I'm fiddling with getting more depth out of a Tremoverb's tremolo. The LDR - LDR21 on the schem - seems to be the area of focus. But I've never seen anything like it before, it's not a Vactrol, it's a barrel-shaped thing about 3/8" in diameter - circular in cross-section, not a flat oval like Vactrols - and about a quarter-inch long. The only markings on it is the number "217" in (fairly) large white ink.

Any ideas?

I have heard Mesa orders them special made in batches of 1000.

If you want to buy 1000, I can dig up the manufactuer's name for you.

If you want only one or two, you probably have to go to Mesa or one of their authorized repair centers. I don't know if they will sell them to you or not.
    -Bryan

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Actually, if that is for a tremelo, it might be similar to the one Fender uses. The one Fender uses is easy to get.
        -Bryan

Comment

I was thinking about the typical LDR Mesa uses in their Triaxis and other amps to control patching and presets. The LDRs for those are custom.

I am not sure about the Tremelo one. I think Fender uses a neon bulb and LDR that are shrink-wrapped together. I do not know what Mesa uses for their Tremelo.

Sorry, I may have given you incorrect info.

I am getting deep into the Triax schemat at this point, so I sorta had a one-track mind.
          -Bryan

Comment

Nah, the TOV trem circuit is a 555 timing chip driving an LDR. The Fender unit is high-voltage, the Mesa is 12V. It's not like anything I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by tbryanh View Post
              I am getting deep into the Triax schemat at this point, so I sorta had a one-track mind.
              Unless you have the secret magic pages about how the LDRpots work, you need a copy of US Patent 5,208,548.

Hope this helps!
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the patent info.

I plan to build an amp similar to the Triaxis that uses standard potentiometers and rotary switches instead of LDRs.

I want to add some ideas of my own also.

I am impressed at how the amp can be configured into the equivalent of 3 or 4 amps by switching in different cathode bypass capacitors, different tone stacks, and extra stages as needed.

I think it is the most advanced amp of its kind, and people like it well.

I am not going to use op amps in the signal path for the EQ. That is one of the complaints about the amp. If you drive it too hard, the op amps give nasty distortion unexpectedly.

I am going to make a tube version or the EQ circuit.

As far as the LDRs go, I want to eventually go down that road, but for now, it is not an obstacle. I am not going to use them.
                -Bryan

Comment

I am not going to use op amps in the signal path for the EQ. That is one of the complaints about the amp. If you drive it too hard, the op amps give nasty distortion unexpectedly.

I am going to make a tube version or the EQ circuit.
                  You might look at the transistor-driven EQs on the Mk series. No complaints that I'm aware of with that circuit. The tough part is sourcing the inductors (and finding room for them).

Best of luck - that's quite a project.

Comment

old fax from mesa RE: LDRs

Comment

Originally posted by Don Moose View Post
                      You might look at the transistor-driven EQs on the Mk series.
                      Best of luck - that's quite a project.
                      Thanks. Yeah, I saw those. In fact that is the one I want to convert to tubes.

Any ideas on how to make a tube version of it?
                      Attached Files
                      -Bryan

Comment

Any ideas on how to make a tube version of it?
                        Well ... you'd need to rescale the impedances for tube use.

Other than that, I'm out of my depth.

Good luck!

Comment

Look up active filters in a tube reference like the RDH.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

tube eq

Have a look at the "Acoustic GT 100" amp , it has a tube eq .
                            I know because I own one.

Alf

Comment

There's a long thread in Theory and Design section called "LDRs as pots" where these so called LDR pots are discussed.

Comment

Working...
                              X