Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverb noise in Fender super reverb 65 (vintage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb noise in Fender super reverb 65 (vintage)

well, im new in tube amps and this thread, i just got this amp back from the technician(which is like 300 miles away), when i turn the reverb to 4 or more makes this loud noise, the tech put a new reverb transformer, also a friend of mine told me that his dad has the same problem on his super reverb, so i tought "maybe is something usual with this amps"...someone could tell me what to do please?

Probably the reverb pan feeding back. The reverb pan is down in the bottom of the amp probably in a black vinyl bag. A couple screws hold the bag. Free the thing and flop the pan outside the amp cabinet. Now try. Make a difference?

If the reverb pan was NOT in a bag, it should NOT be screwed down tight to the bottom of the cabinet. The screws should be in it only tight enough that they don't fall out. They keep the pan from moving around loose, but they should not mash it tight to the wood.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      Probably the reverb pan feeding back. The reverb pan is down in the bottom of the amp probably in a black vinyl bag. A couple screws hold the bag. Free the thing and flop the pan outside the amp cabinet. Now try. Make a difference?

If the reverb pan was NOT in a bag, it should NOT be screwed down tight to the bottom of the cabinet. The screws should be in it only tight enough that they don't fall out. They keep the pan from moving around loose, but they should not mash it tight to the wood.
      thank you very much!!! i called the tech and said exactly the same you did, as soon as i get on the amp (im working right now heheh) ill loose the screws and try it!! ill post how it went later !!thanks again, great forum i must say

Comment

I have seen rubber grommets installed to help isolate the tank from the cabinet,

Comment

hey guys i tried out what you said but, seems that the noise isn't feedback, i actually took reverb cables off to see if the tank was the problem, when i turned the knob again made that horrible loud whistling sound...i guess its up in the reverb circuit
          what do you guys think??

Comment

Originally posted by albania View Post
            hey guys i tried out what you said but, seems that the noise isn't feedback, i actually took reverb cables off to see if the tank was the problem, when i turned the knob again made that horrible loud whistling sound...i guess its up in the reverb circuit
            what do you guys think??
            Has the cathode bypass cap across the 12AT7 reverb driver been replaced yet?
            If you don't know what this means have your tech check it out.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
              Has the cathode bypass cap across the 12AT7 reverb driver been replaced yet?
              If you don't know what this means have your tech check it out.
              heres the 12AT7 section image, which cap do you mean green or red? or something else? hehehe
              Last edited by albania; 09-22-2007, 04:37 PM.

Comment

The green circled cap is the bypass cap.

Did the reverb actually work when it was making the noise?

If the ground connection of the reverb return cable is bad a lot of Fender amps will whistle when the reverb control is turned up. Service (clean and tighten) the RCA plugs on the reverb cables and on the back panel jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  The green circled cap is the bypass cap.

Did the reverb actually work when it was making the noise?

If the ground connection of the reverb return cable is bad a lot of Fender amps will whistle when the reverb control is turned up. Service (clean and tighten) the RCA plugs on the reverb cables and on the back panel jacks.
                  yeah it worked, actually, the sound was awesome i turned it up to 6 or 7 and i loved it but suddenly it started with that noise on 4, i unplugged the reverb to see if it was the tank, but it still did.

Comment

My new Super had an issue with the Vibrato when arrived - made a shunting HISS_HISS_HISS HISS...(not the usual tick that is common). I touched base with Fender UK and they sent a replacement valve and it was fine. Apparently the reverb and Vibrato valves have to be perfect or such issues occur. I just kept the otherwise new/unused 12ax7 swap-out valve for a spare for another amp that isn't so fussy...!
                    Guitar Mad? Sanity is Here:

Comment

Working...
                    X