Front panel Pot Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front panel Pot Placement

I have limited space on my Hohner chassis Tube Conversion build.
    If I use treble, middle, bass, and presence, the presence will be quite close to the PT.
    I'm considering dropping the middle control and just having treble, bass, & presence.
    Will I miss the middle control in the tone stack, or is it mainly window dressing anyway?
    I realize that fender has done treble, bass, for years, but I have no experience with that setup!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I don't think you'll miss it, you can always adjust the value of the mid resistor to your liking. Do stacked pots stick out too far for your liking?

Comment

I was considering just hard wiring a mid resistor in place, or put a trimmer inside the cab.
      The problem with stacked pots, is most of the pots are different values.
      using this tone stack.
      http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/1986u.gif
      I could replace the 25k pot with maybe 2 -13k resistors.
      Or some sum of the two?
      Most of the time once I get the tone stack adjusted it never gets changed much?
      Thanks,
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

You could use 9mm pots and small knobs e,g Davies 1900H series (12.7mm dia) . Pins on this example rather than solder tags but that is not a deal breaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9mm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	842200
        Click image for larger version

Name:	knob 12-7mm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	842201
        Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

With your trim pot idea, you could always make it accessible from top or bottom side rather than on the front panel.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thanks guys.
            I have all the holes drilled in the faceplate except the last one.
            I think I will get it all working, and if the presence has no noise issues, wired temp near the end?
            Then I can cut the hole for it, and all will be wired normal.
            If worse comes to worse, like mentioned, hard wire on the board, or use a 25k trimmer wired on the board.
            Thank you,
            T
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X