Guitar Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Noises

So I bought a second hand ESP M-II Standard series and It seemed as if it was in good shape though later on i figured that there are a few problems possibly with the electronics and i'd love to get some help from you guys.

So the situation is the following :

I can play the guitar for an hour or 10 minutes it comes in randomly , suddenly starts generating noises that are very clearly heard , it's not a noise like the normal static noise you'd get , it sounds like wind , possibly if you listen to it , it's weird , sounds the same as if u'd take the PL cable and scrape it against something weirdly you'd get a similar noise. Point is , it seems very random and as far as i am concerned it really doesn't look like it's a problem with my input jack , i've tried tightening it up , I tried holding it very tightly , and even if i leave the guitar plugged for a few minutes with absolutely 0 movement it might start generating that noise again , that what makes me feel like it's absolutely random and has nothing to do with contacts of the metal pieces in the jack.

One thing i did test is I saw the EMG 9v battery has 5.4 Volts left in it , and in addition to that , When i took the battery out completely and let the pickups work passively even if i turn up my amp's volume to the max (which im not nearly there normally) it won't generate that sound at all.

and when i move the battery around with its little thingy that catches it so it connects to the circuit it generates the noise , could it be the little plug with the 9v battery connectors? could it be the wires that aren't soldered well to my pickups maybe? I really do not know.. I have this one set up guy I always go to and he claims it's from the jack but I still highly highly doubt it.

Another thing i forgot to mention , whenever i just hold the guitar and not even playing it but the volume is up , even when it doesn't generate that weird noise , it makes a sound like "boom" every couple of seconds as if u took a recording microphone and tapped it with ur finger?
    The whole situation is hard to explain , I'd love it if u guys could help me out a little with figuring out the issue.

Whenever I've had a problem with a jack it makes a noise like when you plug in the guitar with the amp turned on. I didn't know that EMGs or any active pickups could function without a battery. You should get a new battery in there first. I would check all the wiring but especially the wiring to the battery clip. Also hit the pots and jack with a little contact cleaner. I don't know how it is in your guitar but many have wires that are short so it's hard to replace the battery without accidentally tugging them or they can be long and get kinked/crimped. Does it make the noise regardless of the pickup selected? If it makes the noise on only one pickup your problem is likely in between the battery and pickup or the pickup and selector switch. I don't know much about active pickups but your issues seem different from what I've experienced with passive pickups so I suspect it's in the active circuitry.

Comment

Originally posted by guy12317 View Post
      One thing i did test is I saw the EMG 9v battery has 5.4 Volts left in it...
      The reading on a battery tester is not like the gas gauge on your car... 5.4 Volts is way too low! The battery needs to be changed.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I've been getting my 9V batteries from Amazon for about $1.50 each... (Rayovac Ultra Pro)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Hey Richard , the noise exists on both of the pickups it doesn't matter if I select another pickup both or just bridge or just neck one.

And Steve , i'll try replacing the battery and see if it solves anything.
        i'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for replying

Comment

Hey guys , thanks once again for all the replies.. it seems like It's just been a battery issue all along , either the battery was too low or just very old to work properly at all . I replaced the battery and played for a bit now with nothing happening and the guitar sounds greater than ever. I will inform you if anything pops up , please know that if I do not do that then the guitar works perfectly fine , thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X