Public Service Announcement: Sunn Transformer Clones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Service Announcement: Sunn Transformer Clones

Though someone may like to know where to get replacement transformers for their Sunn amps.
    Mercury Magnetics makes transformers to match original specs.

Click the the Sunn logo on the Catalog page...
    Mercury Magnetics -- The Guitar Amp Transformer Company

Now, if I can find some 0 -10 reflector knobs clones!!!
    Last edited by AjaxLepinski; 06-22-2016, 02:21 AM.
    Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one - Duke Kahanamoku

The Sunn 40 watt (2xEL34) and 60 watt (2x6550 or 2xKT88) amps were based on Dynaco amp kits. The transformers in the early models were the exact same ones as what were used in Dynaco hifi's. Later, Sunn started buying transformers from Schumacher. The Dynaco transformer Sunns have lower B+ voltages than the later Schumacher ones. They both sound a little different as a result. I happen to like the earlier Dynaco transformer amps better, but since everyone hears differently you may like the later ones better. The Dynaco transformers have been available for a Long time from Triode Electronics....at least 15 years anyway, and they are exact clones, with the exception of the power transformer current rating being bumped up a bit since stock ones tend to fail over time. You can find them here.

Triode USA Tube Amp Kits Transformers Tubes Dynaco Upgrades and Parts

Mercury Magnetics makes good transformers at a premium price. If you buy enough of them then eventually your price goes down. The Triode Electronics transformers do the job just as well as what Mercury Magnetics sells, but they are a lot cheaper.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
      Mercury Magnetics makes good transformers at a premium price. If you buy enough of them then eventually your price goes down. The Triode Electronics transformers do the job just as well as what Mercury Magnetics sells, but they are a lot cheaper. Greg
      True 'nuff. And whenever I feel like spending a premium price on iron I always go Mercury! Which means: never. And in those amps which are already sporting Mercury, I replace the ones that have gone bad (regardless of their vaunted reputation, they DO fail on occasion), and cringe at the tone of their output transformers. Despite Merc's hi pressure salesmanship, I'm not impressed. Considering their premium prices, which lead you to expect some extra value for money, I'm further unimpressed.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
        The Sunn 40 watt (2xEL34) and 60 watt (2x6550 or 2xKT88) amps were based on Dynaco amp kits. The transformers in the early models were the exact same ones as what were used in Dynaco hifi's. Later, Sunn started buying transformers from Schumacher. The Dynaco transformer Sunns have lower B+ voltages than the later Schumacher ones. They both sound a little different as a result. I happen to like the earlier Dynaco transformer amps better, but since everyone hears differently you may like the later ones better. The Dynaco transformers have been available for a Long time from Triode Electronics....at least 15 years anyway, and they are exact clones, with the exception of the power transformer current rating being bumped up a bit since stock ones tend to fail over time. You can find them here.

Triode USA Tube Amp Kits Transformers Tubes Dynaco Upgrades and Parts

Mercury Magnetics makes good transformers at a premium price. If you buy enough of them then eventually your price goes down. The Triode Electronics transformers do the job just as well as what Mercury Magnetics sells, but they are a lot cheaper.

Greg
        Thanks for the info Greg! I'm all for saving a buck.
        The PT and OT in my Solarus are originals and the OT doesn't look so good. I saved your link to my favorites because, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.
        Just take your time - wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one - Duke Kahanamoku

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          True 'nuff. And whenever I feel like spending a premium price on iron I always go Mercury! Which means: never. And in those amps which are already sporting Mercury, I replace the ones that have gone bad (regardless of their vaunted reputation, they DO fail on occasion), and cringe at the tone of their output transformers. Despite Merc's hi pressure salesmanship, I'm not impressed. Considering their premium prices, which lead you to expect some extra value for money, I'm further unimpressed.

Well, if I ain't getting some truly valuable advice! When I replace my Solarus' OT, it will definatey be a Triode USA transformer.
          I'll be able to use the money I save on new toobz!!!

Comment

Ok, I'll bite,......what makes you think the original OT needs replacing?
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I'm no electrical engineer but, there's a bit of oozed goop that re-hardened and a slight burned smell.
              The amp works fine and I'm not sure when or if, it overloaded but, I'm preparing for the worst... mostly for my own amusement.

So far, I've only put about 30 minutes on the amp, before opening it for a look.
              After finding a bad cap, I decided to hold off playing the amp until the replacement arrives from mouser.com.
              While I had the chassis out, I noticed the goop on the OT and took a sniff.
              Once I replace the cap, I'll play the amp to see if the OT overheats.
              I may never have to replace it... just considering the possibility and looking at options at this point.
              Last edited by AjaxLepinski; 06-23-2016, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't be horribly concerned about the "ooze". It's not uncommon to find that on older amps and I've seen it happen just because of an amp being in the hot sun. The smell- maybe. As you say, testing will tell the real story.
                "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Appreciate it Dude. I'd much rather save the cash to invest in a pair of Yamaha HS8s that I've been planning to buy for the past two years.
                  The caps arrived to day and I'll be installing them tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll post some clips.

Comment

Working...
                  X