How do you know when to stop modding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    ......Back to the case of tribute bands, it's sometimes necessary to copy the gear to some extent, in order to "develop the vibe" and sometimes required to keep one's job. One of my customers plays in a well known Beatles tribute. For years he ran his guitar thru an early 60's brown Vibrolux, and he sounded just fine. But after a while the show's producer demanded he put a Vox on stage for looks so he splashed out for a good used one. One more iota of "believability" for the crowd and hundreds more paychecks for the guitarist.
    I can definitely relate to this. It's surprising how many people hear with their eyes.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

The thing about making a clone of the "one" is that I have made like 9 different amps. All started out like the "one" then ended up something else. I now have soooo many amps. I also have attachment to each one and am becoming a hoarder. I also build guitars and pedals and...... It's getting crazy.

I do rent my " normal stock" twin, super, jcm, and whatever. I don't have any kids so when I die gonna be a fun auction for somebody.

Comment

There are worse things one could be addicted to.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Why is having too many amps WAY cooler than having too many guitars? Because I actually <CAN> play all my amps at once! I think my record is 7 amps simultaneously.

To those who ask me how many amps I need, I say, "ALL of them!"

Justin
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I don't feel like I own something until I modify it or make it do something the manufacturer never intended.
            Last edited by Richard; 06-29-2016, 01:43 AM. Reason: speeling

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
              That's an easy one, Terry. When it sustains but is still clear and you say to yourself, "this sounds like Santana", you're there. That's my holy grail anyway.
              Even Santana doesn't sound like "Santana" anymore!?! Using high gain preamps and always on the neck pickup of a PRS with the tone knob rolled all the way back and the treble on the amp turned up...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... BORING. "sustains but is still clear" is a damn sight far away from his tone anymore.
              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                If he wants to, Joe Bonamassa can sound a lot like each of them.
                Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                One of my customers seems to knit together borrowed snippets, kind of like a mockingbird; his audience and I find his playing very entertaining!
                That reminds me of some barroom schtick Danny Gatton used to do.* He'd imitate other guitarists in quick succession - like Les Paul to Jimi Hendrix to "the three Kings in alphabetical order" (Albert, B.B., Freddie) to....

Talking about having the "right" equipment... he also did a bit where he reminisced about trying to learn Mystery Train, but not being able to get the right sound (demonstrates by playing thru clean amp with no effects). Then he found an Echoplex at the local music store, and all was well (plays MT with slap-back echo). But just before an important gig, the tape broke, so he "had to play it like this" (somehow plays the slap-back echo without the Echoplex). Maybe you had to be there.

So, what's this got to do with modding amplifiers?
                Nothing. I'm on vacation and just having fun during a thunderstorm.

* All with a hot-rodded Telecaster
                Last edited by rjb; 06-29-2016, 05:30 AM. Reason: Added footnote
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Well it is all just...
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    I don't feel like I own something until I modify it or make it do something the manufacturer never intended.
                    Yes, I feel the same way about having to put my own "stink" on things before I can claim them as my own.

I think that spending hours working on a guitar or amp puts my soul in it, establishing my ownership of the item. And the soul I put into seems to come out in spades when I am playing it.

As for the original question posed by the OP I think it depends on your goal: are you interested in making one amp work better for your gigs {or whatever} or do you want to learn the art and science of modding tube amps?

Steve Ahola
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                      Yes, I feel the same way about having to put my own "stink" on things before I can claim them as my own.
                      I think the right word WRT guitar amps is "stank" in place of stink. As in "Put some STANK on it!"

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Wait a minute!... Guys, I just realized something. We may have a bigger problem on our hands. What if we find the answer to how one truely knows when its time to stop modding. How will we know when to stop posting about it?!! I think we're doomed
                        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Well, there is always women. We will never figure them out.
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            Well, there is always women. We will never figure them out.
                            If you really want to know ANYTHING, even about your own matters, just ask a woman. She'll tell you what to do. Or at least what you SHOULD do if you don't want to be an Ahole or a bastard

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                              ...just ask a woman. She'll tell you what to do. Or at least what you SHOULD do if you don't want to be an Ahole or a bastard
                              IME, she won't tell you until after you've done it. Even if you tried to solicit her opinion beforehand....
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
                                Ric, all good points. I've had to come to the realization that I am a better tech than a player.
                                It's always been that way for me.
                                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Working...
                                X