How do you know when to stop modding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know when to stop modding?

Serious question,. I love the tone I'm getting through my plexi after mods. I buy other amp to mod so I can compare. But o keep going back to the plexi. But still always in the back of my mind the " what if I..."

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
    Serious question,. I love the tone I'm getting through my plexi after mods. I buy other amp to mod so I can compare. But o keep going back to the plexi. But still always in the back of my mind the " what if I..."
    As a rule of thumb, a good time to stop modding is sometime before you've absolutely ruined it.
    Last edited by SoulFetish; 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM.
    If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

The question that should be in the back of our minds is "what if I ... spent that time practicing?"
      (at least for me anyway)
      Originally posted by Enzo
      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

You've come to see the amp psychologist, please, sit down.

First we must ask ourselves, is this negatively affecting our relationships and responsibilities. Not interfering with work? Friends and loved ones? Yes, I see, well good.

Your friend g1 makes a good point. Since you do this modding to increase your enjoyment of playing, one must balance time spent modding against time one is unable to spend playing.

So to conclude; if our modding is not interfering, and we are enjoying modding more than playing, then by all means we should continue modding. However, if we find that we wish to play our instrument rather than modify our amplifier further at this time, then we should cease our modding activities and focus on our instrument playing.

I hope this has been helpful, please see Miss Fleece on your way out, and if a payment schedule needs to be arraigned, she can take care of that. Goodbye. $-)
        Last edited by ric; 06-27-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Ric, all good points. I've had to come to the realization that I am a better tech than a player. Although I try to keep my techniques as to be able to milk the tones out. I have customers relying on me to keep them going and improve their guitar and amp situation.

I agree to stop before its ruined. I've replaced quite a few caps because I've soldered them a few too many times.

Comment

Dr amp was meant for a chuckle. For advice I'd say don't end up like me. I made a gain monster w/ reverb that worked great on the bench, took it in the music room, set it on a shelf over a double outlet which caused the bottom mounted pan to misbehave. Thinking: I'm a beginner so I must have built it wrong I tore it apart.

Next I build a concertina splitter amp w/ no reverb, so it sounds fine over the outlet, but figure it'll sound even better with a LTP. So I tear it apart.

Then we move. No shop. No time. No gain monsters. So whatever you decide you might want to always leave one that's good enough alone. Maybe start a second project, so you're always covered and don't end up with less than you started out with.
            Last edited by ric; 06-27-2016, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It's much like art (or mixing a song). You can fiddle forever, but once you find a spot that's good, always stop and evaluate.

The question that has been raised is a good one (more mods or more playing). If you like tinkering and don't play much, then by all means, tinker on!

Comment

Ric, I actually though you gave some actual good advice and felt a little bad for being a smart arse. The relationship component is real. 888, if you have a wife, girlfriend, or partner who doesnt also do this kind of thing, they will not understand and you amp may as well be the "Other Woman". If you have a family, and she feels like they have to compete for your attention, it WILL be a problem. Rather than support something you love to do, she will resent it and resent you. Trust me, the conversations you will have about it will suuuuuuck. So do right by you family if you have one.
                If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I think the question is whether you have an actual goal or if you just like screwing with it. I bugs me when some kids writes in:
                  "I just ordered my new WHAMMO 4000 amp, it will be here next week. What mods should I do to it?" Come on, man, shouldn;t we even listen to it first?

One ought to have a goal, I mean a specific one, not just "I want it to sound killer." When one no longer has that... stop.

I used to eat at a local family restaurant, and often ordered the "Burger Works". Burger/fries/slaw/dessert. Well, I'd sub mashed potatoes with gravy for the fries - made it more dinner-like. A salad for the slaw - same reason. A cup of soup subbed for the dessert - I was more in the mood for that. And maybe hold the bun, I get enough bread. So just the meat next to the potatoes and gravy. I never crossed teh final step:

You know, I eat too much red meat, so please sub a piece of chicken for the beef. So how do you like my hamburger and fries and pie? Chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, with soup.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's time to stop modding an amp when:

Your customer runs out of money OR,

They pry the soldering iron out of your cold dead hand.
                    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

When you stop modding amps, only outlaws will mod amps.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Have solder gun - will travel, reads the card of the man.
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Generally speaking, if you have a Fender and you want it to sound like a Marshall, step away from the soldering iron, sell the Fender, and buy a Marshall.
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                            Have solder gun - will travel, reads the card of the man.
                            If you have a soldering iron, carry on. If you have a soldering gun, step away from the amplifier.

Comment

Unless you're doing chassis connections.
                              It was a Paladin joke anyway.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Paladin-Card.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	842326

Comment

Working...
                              X