Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Computer

Hello,
    I have a Toshiba Satellite C655. Recently after a short time of operation it starts overheating and running very slow. I can feel the heat coming from the left side where there is a finned sort of radiator I can see through the case. Is there any way to fix it ?

I would take it apart & clean it.

Chances are that it is clogged full of fuzz.

Make sure the fan spins freely.

Comment

Yeah, is your CPU fan running? And is the main power supply fan running?
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
        I would take it apart & clean it.

Chances are that it is clogged full of fuzz.

Make sure the fan spins freely.
        +1

This might not be the exact model, but it should give you an idea of what needs to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2AcFvd9qjc

My advice: Don't take apart anything you don't have to. It's easy to create additional problems. So, think of the video as a rough guide. You may not need to follow every step exactly. If you need to remove the fan assembly (and you probably should to clean thoroughly), be sure to reinstall any thermal grease necessary and make sure that processors have good contact to heat sink when you reassemble. Also note where screws go. There will be different length screws and they need to go back where they came from or you could break something. Toshibas generally have the screw length labeled right at the screw holes, but not always.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I regularly blow air backwards with respect to the normal cooling flow direction to remove the loose dust.

Comment

I was blowing air backwards yesterday all evening. Something to do with my diet.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
              I regularly blow air backwards with respect to the normal cooling flow direction to remove the loose dust.
              No disrespect intended, but I find this to be maybe a temporary "solution". Results may vary. There is often a heat exchange/exhaust port that pulls air from the processor. There are, many times, little fins like a car radiator has and these clog up with gunk. No amount of blowing air into the thing will unclog it. I've actually had to take a toothbrush to them to get them unclogged. It's best to bite the bullet and dive in. A lot of the time you can get where you need to by simply removing the keyboard and a few screws that hold the fan/heat sink assembly in. It just takes a little time and patience. I'll post a picture for example- unrelated to this particular laptop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Therma3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	842439

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                No disrespect intended, but I find this to be maybe a temporary "solution". Results may vary. There is often a heat exchange/exhaust port that pulls air from the processor. There are, many times, little fins like a car radiator has and these clog up with gunk. No amount of blowing air into the thing will unclog it.
                I think that Tom meant it as a preventive measure to be done maybe once or twice a month (depending on how much dust in room.)

But you are correct in that once the CPU is overheating and shutting down the heat sink is as clogged up as you suggest.

So IMO you are both right...

Steve Ahola
                The Blue Guitar
                www.blueguitar.org
                Some recordings:
                https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Agreed, and I wasn't trying to disrespect Tom. Just pointing out that "reverse blowing" doesn't always work.

Comment

Right. Doesn't always work. But often I do get dust and cat hair to come out and the computer runs better afterwords. Other times I find that the CPU is processing some SW junk that I can clean out. So far, I have kept this Win XP laptop running since Jan 2008 and have never needed to take it apart. However, I can tell that the end is near. I found a video showing disassembly once. I saw lots of opportunity to mess up so I avoid cracking into the case.

Comment

Hello,
                      Thanks Guys. I found a video that shows this model. I will not have to worry much as, the fan is a separate assembly, not requiring tampering with the heat sink.

Comment

I'm not sure what exactly you're working with, but do make sure that if there are vents or fins in the heat sink, they are not obstructed. Even if you clean the fan and it works well, it still has to be able to blow through or across something.

Comment

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairi...n+System/28853

Name:	Toshiba Satellite.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	842441

Name:	Heat sink.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	842442

Comment

Hello,
                            Thanks Everyone, I looked at several videos about cleaning the computer. I did not have to remove the heat sink in this particular model. Just unscrew the bottom, remove the key board, split the casing. The motor came out by removing three screws.
                            The video was a bit overwhelming but I decided, it is going to burn itself up anyway if I don't do something.
                            It seems the motor had stopped working, I just spun it with a small screwdriver till it seemed loose. It works now but makes a slight bit of noise.
                            I intend to leave it like that, as while it is making noise, at least I know it is working.
                            I also took it apart and pet it back together with no left over screws.
                            Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by SpareRibs View Post
                              I also took it apart and pet it back together with no left over screws.
                              Absence of "spare" parts is usually a good sign!
                              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                              X