Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue video demo

Hello Guys,

We just released our video demo of the Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue.

We really enjoyed playing this amp and were really surprised by the kind of crunch tone it delivers.

I hope you'll like it.

Cheers!
    When 2 friends, both guitar nerds, decide to have fun by demoing guitar gear, you get "2 Guys 1 Amp" Youtube channel.

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/2Guys1AmpTV
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2Guys1Amp/
    Visit our blog: http://2g1a.com/

I picked one up used, mint condition, with footswitch and cover, for less than $600. Really liked it, but when trying to play with two other guitarists in a band, one using a Hot Rod Deluxe, the other a Hot Rod Deville...i could keep up on songs that I needed distortion/crunch, with footpedals pummeling the input some...but songs where I needed "clean"...I got buried.

I tried an EVM12L that I had lying around (actually, it was my 'test speaker'). I had to reposition the OT a bit to fit that big-ass magnet. Was worried about it moving at an angle close to the choke, but it's no noiser than before....and that's what is still in there.

That one change seemed to open up the "cleans", and I could keep up. It was suddenly a little louder, cleaner. Of course, that messed up my settings a bit on the TS9 and Marshall DriveMaster pedals, so I had to modify the knobs on those a bit.

Now, if I play with someone who insists on even LOUDER...I'll take that, and supplement the "cleans" with my recently-acquired Music Man 210 HD One-Thirty. They ain't gonna bury me with THAT thing!

(I'd rather they just turn the damned things down a bit! I'm TRYING to hear myself sing, here!)

Brad1

Comment

Originally posted by Brad1 View Post
      I tried an EVM12L that I had lying around (actually, it was my 'test speaker'). I had to reposition the OT a bit to fit that big-ass magnet. Was worried about it moving at an angle close to the choke, but it's no noiser than before....and that's what is still in there.

Brad1
      You are a brave man! I would not dare to modify that much an amplifier
      When 2 friends, both guitar nerds, decide to have fun by demoing guitar gear, you get "2 Guys 1 Amp" Youtube channel.

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/2Guys1AmpTV
      Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2Guys1Amp/
      Visit our blog: http://2g1a.com/

Comment

Early DRRI's used lower wattage Jensen reissues but in the early 70's they switched over to the 100w C12K which eliminated a lot of the harshness in the earlier amps. A match made in heaven...

Steve Ahola

P.S. My friend Felix finally replaced the DRRI he had been gigging with for 12+ years with a Bugera V22 Infinium which has a great clean channel and a killer OD channel which captures the vibe of his Zendrive.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Are we at the point that people consider the new-production reissues to be Vintage Amps?
          "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Perhaps we are at that point where the date ranges for "vintage" need to be stated clearly, instead of "20 years." Myself, I draw the line at 1980. A Rivera-era Fender or 80s Music Man or JCM800 <MIGHT> squeak in.

Justin
            "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
            "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
            "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

20 years doesn't cut it for me. Wow, hard to imagine that people think of a JCM800 as vintage gear. Next think you know we'll be talking about Vintage Mesa/Boogie amps... oh wait! we already are.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Yeah, to me vintage means 1960 or before. But I am older than rocks. It may be hard to think of something 1980 as "vintage, but on the other hand, a 21 year old was born in 1995, so I can't really object if someone considers a thing made 15 years before he was born as vintage. Like music, to me an oldie is doo wop era, to my kid Led Zeppelin is ancient. Viet Nam war was 40 years ago and before the time of most of our members I'll wager. Antique is relative.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Aren't there some Boogies from the 70s? I guess I should say, I use the term "Golden Age" for stuff up . To about 1965, since that's about when most of the companies were bought/sold/traded hands... Fender, Gibson, Ampeg. I kind of guess maybe "channel switching" might be a dividing line for me, too. As in, all the switching can be done without an ABY box, etc.

As evidence of my refusal to use the arbitrary "20 years" line, my guitar is exactly 20 years old. But hardly vintage. Just sorely beat up.

What makes me madder than JCM800s being called vintage is Hair Metal being called Classic Rock.

Justin
                  "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                  "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                  "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

C'mon Enzo! You need to push the line up to at least '65 so your list can include all the BF Fender amps!!! They are very important I our genre. That's my line. Mesa products get a nod for being (sort of) the first boutiquy amps and introducing stacked gain stages that actually sounded good (no offense to the master vol JCM800/JMP guys, I love those amps too ). But the "vintage" era should really end with the culmination of defined electric guitar tone as it applies to the earliest influential examples IMHO. And that would be the BF Fender amps and any of the early Marshalls from the same era, JTM45, etc. After that we only got slightly altered or adapted versions of those same amps for the next fifteen years!!! Proof positive that '65 was just about the peak of design for tube guitar amps. Modern uber gain things, while very cool, not withstanding.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hey, just 'cause I like something doesn't mean it is vintage. I gotta draw the line. A 1957 Chevy is a vintage classic, an Olds 442 is not a vintage car, period.

As you know, when I first started, it was long ago. You kids today have no idea what it was like. Our amps ran on steam, and we had to shovel coal in them to fire them up. But they would work in the snow, which is good because all our gigs were in the snow. Our only heat was the coal fired amps, which we'd gather around for warmth. We had to play barefoot.

I remember the first time I saw one of those fancy Mesas with the stained wood cab and the woven cane grille. I still think those are pretty.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't know where the topic of vintage came in to this, but if it is in reference to Steve's statement
                        Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                        Early DRRI's used lower wattage Jensen reissues but in the early 70's they switched over to the 100w C12K which eliminated a lot of the harshness in the earlier amps. A match made in heaven...
                        then I believe the "early 70's" is a typo.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Further to Enzo's "long ago", I believe he mentioned once how back then this site was all just a big field.
                          Originally posted by Enzo
                          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I have a DRRI that I gutted and built up point to point a few years ago. Some may remember my plight of having to re-do it on phenolic board because the black fiber board from Mojo went conductive on rainy days. What a PITA that was!

Anyway, during that time I did some speaker swapping to see if I could improve the sound that much more, but in the end the modern 100w C12 that it came with was the big winner. I was surprised, but it does really seem to me that is the right speaker for that amp.
                            It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              I don't know where the topic of vintage came in to this...
                              I'll take the hit for bringing up the "Is it Vintage?" question. I asked because I was surprised that anyone would consider posting a video for a current-production Fender amp in a forum entitled, "Vintage Amps." I guess I'm just a stickler that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X