No announcement yet.

Ampeg V4 PT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Dude, no skin man. I wasn't so much saying that marking up is wrong, I was saying that marking everything up to retail profit margins makes for loony, prohibitive prices. But some guys do it. Even on expensive parts and even when they have to pay the same markup as everyone else, effectively doubling the price to the service customer. I have no beef whatever with honest shops getting paid for their work. Anyone whose had to maintain an inventory of any kind and/or source sometimes hard to find parts knows that stuff doesn't get done as free time or for pleasure
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Chuck,

No offense taken by your post whatsoever. I just thought it might be a good idea to take on the subject a little more in depth.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

At the risk of making a tangent, when I have to buy a $200 transformer, I don;t mark it up 100%, I do whatever I feel like that day, maybe I add $40 for myself. That is 20%. SHipping has to be figured in there.

But I mark some things up a lot more than 100%. If I buy a small signal transistor like an MPSA06 or a 2N3904, I buy them 100 at a time for 5 or 6 cents each. I charge at least $1 for those parts. I am not going to charge 12 cents for 6 cent transistors. Shipping is not usually a factor on small stuff, but my time, having it in inventory and so on are values. My minimum charge for an IC is $4. Even though my little op amps might cost 39 cents. If my IC costs $3, then I will of course charge more than the $4. Jacks start at $4. My cost is more like 50-60 cents.

My parts have to make money for me, but I keep in mind trying to be fair to the customer. So I can't justify having a blanket, automatic 100% markup.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

FWIW, That pretty much describes EXACTLY how I do things.

Comment

There's always some "get it where you can". That is, hell yeah mark a $0.50 capacitor or resistor or transistor up to a buck or two. The customer won't balk at all and you get "get PAID biache"! Well, not exactly like that. actually it's more of a recoup for likely to be misunderstood and virtually unchargable time spent elsewhere on related $h!t. For real. For a small shop that adds up to, what? $1000 to $2000 bucks a friggin year!?! That's not changing anyone's lifestyle. That's just paying the bills. And then there's gray area...

Dude, we're still discussing the issue and you're still participating!!! Is that in any way related to your research on the product? Well, some of it yes, maybe? Probably not all of it.?. So there's that. The reality of experience and dedication commanding a premium has been raised here as well!!! In the end it's like Enzo said. You charge "whatever I feel like that day" depending on circumstances, mood, guilt, entitlement, etc. The unfortunate reality is that I don't know any electronic repair techs that have built a good retirement charging over 100% for small components!?! I surely wish it were different (for electronic repair techs AND house painters ) So I suppose I can't fault any shop that adheres to a stringent markup if they can get it. And I hope the best for all of my kindred that virtuosity doesn't combine with a cultural definition of morality to equal a difficult retirement. That's a pipe dream of course, unless you're Stan

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              ......Dude, we're still discussing the issue and you're still participating!!!......
              Well, I'm currently working on a Fender Passport 250 with a roasted amp and roasted SMPS. Diversions/Breaks are necessary to keep me from launching this thing across the warehouse floor. If you've ever been inside one of these POS's, you'll understand my frustration.

Comment

I have a local music store that keeps trying to get me to work on that kind of stuff. I just can't see the point in spending time on Class D amps. They're built to be a card-type replacement from the manufacturer or an amp on a stick, and if you can't buy the amp on a stick replacement they're expected to be thrown into the garbage. I don't think they're worth my time.

I tell the stores that I'll happily work on vintage gear and the new reissues, but I've drawn the line at wasting time on Class-D amps and modelling circuits. Most of today's amps are throw-aways that would cost more to repair than they're worth.

Does that make me a cherry-picker?!?
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

I tried to scare 'em off with a high estimate. It didn't work.

Comment

Well, if you make the repair estimate >= the cost of a new amp, the repair turns out to be pretty easy. lol.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

It does make you a cherry picker, but sometimes cherries is all you can reach.

There is the Passport, and there is the Passport D, but that is D for digital FX.. They have always had the SMPS, but the power amps are linear, unless the newest ones are class D now. All the P250 and PD250 I know have linear amplifiers.

Those are a pain to work in, but I have done it enough, they come right apart for me. Once the SMPS and power amp on heat sink assembly is out, they are not hard to service. On a warranty basis, Fender expects us to swap SMPS boards, but we repair the amplifier boards. Usually just a blown pair of output xstrs. Originally the SMPS was supported, but they found a LOT of guys out there couldn;t handle them.

Always fix the power amp first, many time that is the issue for the SMPS.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes, the amp is linear and an SMPS power supply. I've repaired quite a few of these (unfortunately). I don't find the troubleshooting part particularly difficult. It's pretty straight forward. It's the assembly/disassembly that is a PITA. The amp is fixed- just a single shorted output. The power supply had a handful of shorted FET's, a couple diodes and some burnt resistors. I'm just waiting on a KA3842B (just ordered). It's the only part I didn't have. Then, the fun of cramming it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          It does make you a cherry picker, but sometimes cherries is all you can reach.
                          It's not that I can't reach them -- it's that I don't like to eat the ones that are sour.

Comment

It is OK, I don't let persimmons into my shop.

Comment

It's gettin' a little fruity around here.?.

Comment

Working...
                              X