• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSpina911 View Post
    Did you mean increase C13 and C14?
    Yes, my bad.

Originally posted by JSpina911 View Post
    The channel is still pretty bright and what are your thoughts on lowering C7 to say 250 pf?
    What ever sounds good to you!
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
      Yes, my bad.

What ever sounds good to you!
      So tonight I used a capacitor substitution box around a few places on the pcb.

I found that increasing C4 beefs the lows and low mids nicely and I Like .0047 there..

As far as C7 and C10 I don't hear any tonal (pf) changes while switching different caps across the pcb standoffs..

Something tells me I needed to tweak C8 and C9 also..The .47 caps since we changed to 10k at those resistors.

I wonder if the substitution box and leads has it's own pf readings and that makes the changes within the circuit un-noticible?

I haven't messed with the two caps across the Contour control yet but I will...

If I could get the presence control to where I can hear it,I'd be golden leaving the OD as is...It's 100% better.

Reminds me still of a TS circuit being pushed into a clean amp..Has some compression to the tone,yet cleans up nicely on the guitar volume..Nice!
      Last edited by JSpina911; 08-01-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

A special thank you to everyone that gave me help on my Fender M80...Looks and sounds absolutely great...I have never owned a white amp and I think they look cool.

I re-tolexed this one in white and did some stuff to it...
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for reviving this dead topic, and forgive me if I'm way off... but I've got an M80 head in the attic that I never use for anything. I don't play 80's metal. But after looking at the schematic I got to thinking. If I took out the LEDs altogether, and replaced them with a jumper, I'd just have feedback loop symmetrical clipping, right? If I did that along with the tone shaping changes here, I think that might give a less shrill tone & also a lighter OD on the gain side. I guess there's no point, I could just put a TS in front of one of my other amps... but I can always use more projects for the hell of it.

Comment

I'm going to resurrect it again!!

Have had this amp for 20 years.
            I was into metal and what not when I first got it, so it was usable, as that's what it is made for.
            Then I used it on clean in front of a digital processor for awhile.
            Then didn't touch it for 10 years.

Always thought it was a bit of a piece of crap.

But dug it out on the weekend and it is way better than what some give credit for.
            Subtleness is often lost on youth!
            I probably never had the gain below 7!

It's funny, I had a Digitech GNX4 on it, which was probably 3 times the price of the amp at the time, and although you can get an amazing range of accurate sounding mimic tones with that, I was surprised when I dusted that off how little I liked it.
            Saturated as hell!
            Back then I thought the GNX was 'the shit' and the amp was literally 'shit'.
            Just listening the other day, the amp is much closer to a tube sound than the GNX.
            To my ears anyway.

The clean is great, and with the gain on like 1, you can actually get a half decent broken blues tone, which is what I'm after.

Interested in doing these mods, just wondering if old mate who did them is still around?
            Want to know what kind of specific success he had.

I could just put a cheap TS mini in front of it, but even then don't know what it would sound like.
            I too would just like to do it for fun.

Was probably the first real amp i ever owned.
            Got it at the pawn shop cheap in about 2001, would like to keep her going.

Mine was a slightly later model in black shag
            Not mine pictured, but same same, minus a missing knob.

Comment

I had an M-80 chorus head. I really liked the reverb on that one. The clean channel was nice.

This is what the output waveform looked like on the drive channel. If you worked in the contour you could get the middle of the square wave to dip!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	m80_dist.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	855915

Comment

The contour is the only pot that seems mostly broke on mine, I will have to pull it out and see if I can clean it up.

It appears to just be used to scoop the mids, right?
                So I just put it on zero, as I need me them blues mids.

Comment

Working...
                X